Buying the Beverage Package Pre-Boarding or on the Ship?

cardinals218

Hello,

My family and I are on a cruise this November and plan on purchasing the premium beverage packages for all 6 of us. I am just wondering if there is any benefit to buying the package pre-boarding or after we get on ship? Mainly, I am curious if we buy it while on board does that bartender get any benefit (larger portion of tip; bonus for selling the package, etc.) If so, I would rather buy on board and help one of the bartenders that will be serving us all week out. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

Hi-- I don't know about the tips issue, but if you were given any OBC, you'll want to wait to purchase the drink packages until your onbaord the ship so it will go on your shipboard account. If purchased in advance, you'll have to pay. There's no advantage to pre-paying-- it's not like shore excursions where you're concerned the one you want may sell out.:)

If purchased in advance, you'll have to pay. There's no advantage to pre-paying-- it's not like shore excursions where you're concerned the one you want may sell out.

Well, "R122268," you're not 100% correct in saying that there is "no advantage to pre-paying." There is ONE advantage: You will get the package for the amount currently advertised.

Keep in mind that the prices of the packages are subject to change at ANY MOMENT in time -- and "change" means "increase" in this industry. So, while the Premium Package is now $49 per day, it could be $53 per day one day (or one week, or one month) from now.

Have fun!

Hello,

..... I am curious if we buy it while on board does that bartender get any benefit (larger portion of tip; bonus for selling the package, etc.) If so, I would rather buy on board and help one of the bartenders that will be serving us all week out. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

I can't say for sure if they do or not,;) but they were VERY keen to sell them when asked. :D

a48k8h.jpg

That's a great picture A Sixth! :) Thanks for your posts earlier on the drink packages, it was a big help and my family decided to definitely purchase them.

If they are pushing them on the ship you would think they get a benefit of some sort since over the course of the cruise they probably lose some tips on the packages vs. the 15% on each drink. As a former bartender I'll tip as a go even with the amount upfront on the package since that amount doesn't seem enough for good service to me or my family, but that's just a personal choice.

If anyone sees this that is going on a Celebrity boat soon and can befriend and ask a bartender if there is any benefit for them if I buy on board it would be very appreciated.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I looked at those prices and I think I'll pass...I wouldn't be able to drink that much without getting sick!!! In a day you would have to drink 5 soft drinks, 4 premium drinks or 5 regular drinks just to break even.

I looked at those prices and I think I'll pass...I wouldn't be able to drink that much without getting sick!!! In a day you would have to drink 5 soft drinks, 4 premium drinks or 5 regular drinks just to break even.

....and your wife couldn't have a drink or 2 from your package during the course of a 7 day

cruise. I guess they would rather see a person falling down drunk, causing a scene, rather than the wife have a drink or two!! A person would have to be an alcoholic to imbibe that

many drinks everyday. Human nature, people are going to try and get their moneys worth!!

Listen up, Celebrity. Make beverage packages affordable by offering cabin packages for people of limited means who only have 1 or 2 drinks a day, each.

Several years ago on a Zenith cruise to Bermuda, our table mates were a couple in their late 80's. They loved to cruise, but were on a limited income. So, the Mrs. tells the Mr. he can only have one drink per day, unless they are going to the Captains welcome aboard or the Captains Club party, then he can have as many as he wants. Hers and his. Was this cheating?? I think not! I hope they're still cruisin' and doing their thing!!

Hi

To Buy or not to Buy??

We are in the UK and although we are elite and will have the benefit

of the "lounge Perks" I think the Packages are good value and are just one other item not to have to worry about.

A Latte or two and a couple of beers during the day, a pre dinner G&T plus a nice Brandy after dinner all soon adds up. Not to mention a glass of wine or two with dinner- add a bottle of Water and the daily amount does not seem too bad.

However here is the conundrum if I can buy on board it will cost me less in $$$ than to pre purchase in the UK as I can get a far better rate at the moment than that given by Celebrity.

SO back to the Original Question Please::

DO THE BARTENDERS GET A BONUS FOR SELLING THE PACKAGE ?

Also can you buy the package on say day 2 and if so do you still pay for the previous day??

....Listen up, Celebrity. Make beverage packages affordable by offering cabin packages for people of limited means who only have 1 or 2 drinks a day, each.

thing!!

If you only have one or two drinks daily why would you want a package??

Also if they are regular Celebrity Patrons they would probably have access to the Elite Lounge where they can have Free drinks for a Whole two Hours, enough time for them to have at least their daily allowance for free.

What port do you sail from? VAT or sales tax might be added to the price if you wait until on board to purchase.

That's true, but you can wait for the ship to pull out and you won't have to pay the tax.

I was told by a bartender on Summit that the 15% that is added on to the drink packages is split between all the bartenders.

Hi

DO THE BARTENDERS GET A BONUS FOR SELLING THE PACKAGE ?

Also can you buy the package on say day 2 and if so do you still pay for the previous day??

I can answer the second question, "swigso," but the first question will be answered only by one of two kinds of people:

(1) passengers who have asked the question of bartenders [and none may yet have done this];

(2) bartenders who are CruiseCritic members (!).

Anyway, as to your second question ...

Yes, you can buy the package on "day 2," and ... No, you do not pay for the previous day.

A Celebrity "FAQ Answer" page says that you can buy a package all the way up to the point when there are two nights remaining in a cruise. A recent Solstice passenger just posted a message saying that packages were available until night 3, but he didn't mention how many nights his cruise had. [if it was a 7-night cruise, packages should have been available through night 5 (rather than night 3).]

I've purchased the premium package for our January cruise. I usually drink a couple of lattes in the morning 2 or 3 large bottles of water during the day, a cocktail before dinner, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and sometimes a nightcap. If I break even fine, if not that's ok too - I like the all inclusive aspect of the packages. DH only drinks regular coffee, has maybe one bottle of water and a beer or two each day so he will pay as he goes.

It seems like we'll have to wait until some kind soul who sees this threads asks a bartender on their next cruise on if they get a bonus for selling them on board.

Since that might be a while I am wondering if anyone knows if the beverage packages are refundable before the final payment date or cruise date? If so, we'll buy them now and if there turns out to be a benefit for the bartenders on the boat we'll cancel and rebuy when we get on ship.

Thanks!

... I am wondering if anyone knows if the beverage packages are refundable before the final payment date or cruise date? If so, we'll buy them now and if there turns out to be a benefit for the bartenders on the boat we'll cancel and rebuy when we get on ship.

Hello, "cardinals218."

Here is what "X" says in reply to your question:

"FAQ Answers

"Can I cancel or modify my beverage package purchase?

"Yes, orders can be canceled or modified up to 4 days prior to your sail date either online or by calling 1-800-722-5941. Orders that are canceled up to 4 days prior to your sail date will be refunded back to the credit card originally used for purchase. Any cancellations beyond that point must be handled onboard and will be refunded to your SeaPass account."

The above came from ...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000hqIbHvB3qgGTpM0PCQymmY5:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Beverage+Packages&faqId=3915&pagename=faq_answers

PS: Elsewhere, I came across something saying that on onboard cancellation can be done ONLY on Embarkation Day.

I'm not really sure why there would be any benefit to the bartenders if you were to buy the package through them once onboard. Either way, if you buy the package now online or if you buy it onboard, part of the "per day" cost must be allocated to gratuity. That goes into the bartenders gratuity pool, I would presume, which I also would guess is shared by all bartenders.

We didn't buy one, but I assume if you're paying $49 per person per day, you're really not paying $49 + 15% (about $7.50), so $56.50 per day?

jg51, thanks a lot for that. I didn't see that answer on the faq, d'oh! I'll look closer next time.

labeachcomber, you are correct, with tip, the premium package is $56.50 per day. On our 7-day cruise is runs $394/person. For 6 people it adds up it almost $2,400 but that is honestly a little less than our drink bill for only 4 people last 7-day cruise so it a good deal for my family. Just have to drink glasses of wine instead of bottles.

We did just purchase one and there is a 15% charge added to the price. I would assume that this is the built in gratuity.

From the CC web site.

*All prices in USD are subject to change without notice. A 15% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout

Just don't buy it ahead of the time if you're Canadian...Celebrities outrageous exchange rate vs. your credit cards exchange rate.

Why not? You have to provide a CC when you check out. X doesn't do the exchange, you are charged USD to your CC and your CC will do the exchange rate.

I know this has probably been asked, but couldn't find it anywhere, so I'll ask away!

If you purchase the "Premium Pkg." can you have as many drinks as you want per day (up to $12. ea.) ? I don't drink that many alcoholic drinks per day, but just to have 2 Martini's & maybe wine with dinner adds up, so wanted to see if it's really worth it. Also, then my DH can't complain about the "big" bill at the end of the cruise if I prepay for it.

I think this from the website pretty much covers it.

Premium & Classic Beverage Packages

From bottled water to wine by the glass, relax in the freedom and convenience of having all your beverages included for one price.

Archived