Buying the Beverage Package Pre-Boarding or on the Ship?

cardinals218

There appears to be a glitch in the website in that after purchasing a package pre cruise it does not show up as being purchased on the "My Reservation" summary page. It does list it on the payment page however. In another post someone indicated that they prepaid but when they went to board the Celebrity rep said there was no record of their buying the package. I have printed out my payment page just in case. I wanted to prepay so I would not have that large bill at the end.

Why not? You have to provide a CC when you check out. X doesn't do the exchange, you are charged USD to your CC and your CC will do the exchange rate.

Because when I pay in advance with a Canadian booking, Celebrity will convert at their exchange rate...currently around 15 - 20% (someone even reported 25% last week...:eek:...if I elect onboard to let my charges go through in US funds and have my bank do the conversion, I'm looking at around 6% right now.

Same applies to pre-paying dining tips for select dining, Canadians get ripped off.

I know this has probably been asked, but couldn't find it anywhere, so I'll ask away!

If you purchase the "Premium Pkg." can you have as many drinks as you want per day (up to $12. ea.) ? I don't drink that many alcoholic drinks per day, but just to have 2 Martini's & maybe wine with dinner adds up, so wanted to see if it's really worth it. Also, then my DH can't complain about the "big" bill at the end of the cruise if I prepay for it.

Yes, its unlimited drinks under $12 ea per day. According to my billing summary, apparently one afternoon/evening I had 10 martinis at the bar. All were charged at $0.

(Actually 2 of those charges were for Evian and 2 were for diet coke. I don't think I could possibly drink 10 of those martinins) :D

Yes, its unlimited drinks under $12 ea per day.

Oops! I think that you meant to say, "under $12.01," mikelat. (If it were "under $12," the upper limit would be $11.99.)

According to my billing summary, apparently one afternoon/evening I had 10 martinis at the bar. ... (Actually 2 of those charges were for Evian and 2 were for diet coke. I don't think I could possibly drink 10 of those martinins) :D

But SIX were a "piece of cake," eh? :p

I see for the premium package wines and beers etc up to $12 value included. But for dinner, how many wines by the glass do they have? And what is that quality?

Also, I am confused by the wine package.The Captains package is $129 and the Build your own is 191.25 Wha t do you get in the wine packages, actual bottles, glasses etc etc etc?

• 2 weeks later...

When I told my dining room attendant that we had purchased a wine package he told me that we should of purchased it with him (for the tip). I had purchased the package on board at entry on the first day. Had I known before , I would of preferred to buy it from him rather than buying it from a person whom I would probably not have anything to do with again. I am not sure if the premium and classic pkgs can be purchased from a dining room attendant. Probably not...and maybe not even the room steward but I think at any bar then can be purchased. Probably would help if one was to return to the same bartender when possible.

When I told my dining room attendant that we had purchased a wine package he told me that we should of purchased it with him (for the tip). I had purchased the package on board at entry on the first day. Had I known before , I would of preferred to buy it from him rather than buying it from a person whom I would probably not have anything to do with again. I am not sure if the premium and classic pkgs can be purchased from a dining room attendant. Probably not...and maybe not even the room steward but I think at any bar then can be purchased. Probably would help if one was to return to the same bartender when possible.

That seems a little crazy...why would you want to wait until dinner on your first night to purchase the package..my drinking starts on noon on the first day :)

Because when I pay in advance with a Canadian booking, Celebrity will convert at their exchange rate...currently around 15 - 20% (someone even reported 25% last week...:eek:...if I elect onboard to let my charges go through in US funds and have my bank do the conversion, I'm looking at around 6% right now.

Same applies to pre-paying dining tips for select dining, Canadians get ripped off.

That might be true if your booking is in Canadian dollars... we book with a US agency and I just bought the Premium package for myself and paid in US dollars.

Can anyone on recent trips give an answer to the original question: Does the bartender you buy a drink package from on board get any additional benefit?

Thanks!

We were told on Summit that the drink package tips were split between all the bartenders.

Now, I think the Sommeliers who sign you up for the wine tastings do get the tip -- that was just my impression.

Archived