"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

OK, one more idea. What if I have a Premium Alcohol package and hubby has a Classic Alcohol package. One night his wine is over the $8.00 limit for the Classic but my wine is under the $8.00 limit. Are we "legal" ? Also, do I understand correctly that you cannot get a latte with the Classic Package, either the Alcoholpackage or the non-Alcohol package???? OK, thanks for your responses !

Come on kallie...you KNOW the answers to those questions. There is the technical answer and then you have the justification answer.

11277k3.jpg

It just depends upon which one of these voices whispering in your ear you wanna listen to...

I've never understood why there are so many lawyers in the US - until I read this thread. While I'm not a black/white guy I think, in my opinion, a lot of what dictates those gray areas is intention. If a person purchases an alcohol package with the intention of sharing drinks - that is stealing and I wouldn't have a problem with Celebrity dropping the hammer.

On the other hand if a person with a package doesn't like a drink and rather than toss the drink passes it to their spouse, well that is techncally still stealing but I wouldn't find a fault with that; on a single occassion. However more than once then it becomes a problem.

Newbie here to Celebrity. :D

Just reading the boards, getting myself familiar with this line.

This thread caught my eye and have to admit it's quite amusing to read.

Have to say the word "Stealing" is a harsh word to use. :rolleyes:

It brings to mind about those who take and never think about what they are doing all because they feel it's been paid for already.

For instance ~

• taking the stationary and pen that's on your desk.

• The miniature shampoo bottles and soap bars that are in your stateroom.

• Grabbing a handful of mints while walking out of the dining.

• Even the towel animals, cause they are so cute.

• And what about those who eat *too much* at a buffet - just because they feel they paid for it and want to get every pennies worth.

You get the drift of this, right? ;)

These are things most people do. (Please don't report me :o..;)..:p)

I think some might like to "share" their package for convenience rather than saving money.

Some might share cause they don't feel they would drink enough to justify the cost of the package.

I dunno!

Whatever they do, it's none of my business if they steal, share, that is their prerogative.

Whatever they do' date=' it's none of my business if they steal, share, that is their prerogative.

[/b']

Um, is it a "harsh" word to use or not?

I don't think it is. It's stealing. "Sharing" is prohibited by the terms of the agreement. If they want to call it something other than stealing in order to make themselves feel better, that's on them.

If they can justify it and look at themselves in the mirror, more power to them, but it doesn't change the fact that it's stealing.

...Have to say the word "Stealing" is a harsh word to use....

I agree!

Use of that word tends to put the act of taking something that doesn't belong to you without any authorization to do so in a very negative perspective. Makes the whole process seem like a real downer!:(

:eek::eek::eek:

Harsh' date=' but accurate. Petty theft, but still obtaining goods through fraudulent means.[/color']

These are things most people do.

Hardly justification.

I think some might like to "share" their package for convenience rather than saving money.

True, but still wrong.

Some might share cause they don't feel they would drink enough to justify the cost of the package.

Then don't get the package. Purchase drinks separately.

Whatever they do, it's none of my business if they steal, share, that is their prerogative.

Think about this-- if everyone did this, and took maximum advantage, the prices of the drink packages would be double. If it did not occur, prices would be lower, by whatever amount. That literally makes it all of our business. It's certainly someone's prerogative to steal, just like it's anyone's prerogative to indulge in any kind of bad behavior. Would you feel the same way if it was your wallet being directly affected?

I am stunned to see that on the sticky above there are posters who actually believe that giving a drink from your beverage package to a person who did not purchase a package is not stealing, and are defending the practice as being "built into the price." I have a hard enough time accepting dress code violators, but THIS? I am worried that the price of the beverage packages will go sky high or the packages will be eliminated all together if there are too many cruisers who feel that stealing is acceptable. I hope Celebrity will take action against any cruisers attempting this so that the practice does not become the trend, as in the relaxation of the dress code.

LOL...I understand where you are coming from, but I was stunned that people purchase an alcoholic package at all. I would be drunk every day if I purchased such a package and consumed enough to "break even." To those who can consume that much without effect, I tip my hat to you.

LOL...I understand where you are coming from, but I was stunned that people purchase an alcoholic package at all. I would be drunk every day if I purchased such a package and consumed enough to "break even." To those who can consume that much without effect, I tip my hat to you.

I agree about drinking too much alcohol -- but the package does include specialty coffees, soda, smoothies, bottled water, juices, etc. Add in all that with a martini, a couple of beers and wine at dinner then you can see why the package might be a good route to go! :)

my first thought is pass the TP. If I drank that much liquid in the course of one day, I'd spend a lot of time in the restroom, not to mention the calorie intake. What goes in must come out! To each his own, enjoy whatever makes you happy, as long as it's paid for and you don't mind the downside.

Happy cruising....Joanne

Um, is it a "harsh" word to use or not?

I don't think it is. It's stealing. "Sharing" is prohibited by the terms of the agreement. If they want to call it something other than stealing in order to make themselves feel better, that's on them.

If they can justify it and look at themselves in the mirror, more power to them, but it doesn't change the fact that it's stealing.

[quote name='PartyAllDaTyme;25554821 -

Harsh' date=' but accurate. Petty theft, but still obtaining goods through fraudulent means.[/color']

Think about this-- if everyone did this, and took maximum advantage, the prices of the drink packages would be double. If it did not occur, prices would be lower, by whatever amount. That literally makes it all of our business. It's certainly someone's prerogative to steal, just like it's anyone's prerogative to indulge in any kind of bad behavior. Would you feel the same way if it was your wallet being directly affected?

Thank you for sharing............. your opinions. :D

Drinking_smiley.gif

Cheers All!

Actually I think this subject is much more clear cut than opinion. It's simply not allowed by the rules. It's pretty cut and dry.

The amusing, or sad issue, however you view it, to me is the pompous and sanctimonious fervor that some posters have taken on the subject. Why, I can almost see them slapping their bible for effect while they're typing. :cool:Really, you're not in charge of anybody else. I think any clear thinking person can realize it's wrong.

"Stealing"... How about 'minding one's own business'. Worry worry worry... (some one uses or abuses a drink package in this way, it'll cost me... somehow... someday... yikes).

I wonder how many contemplating this are at work...

So, if you saw somebody shoplifting in a store, you would do nothing and mind your own business? What if they were stealing your neighbors car?

Granted, I am not going to police what other passengers are doing, but I would hope that the employees of the line would be able to call out these passengers who do steal and would not be reprimanded for it.

I think (hope) it is human nature to be upset by stealing, whether it was your dime or not. Also, if I paid for 2 drink packages and routinely saw other passengers getting away with sharing one package, I would be upset, and I would report them. I don't want the price of my future package to go up because others feel that stealing can be justified.

I think (hope) it is human nature to be upset by stealing, whether it was your dime or not. Also, if I paid for 2 drink packages and routinely saw other passengers getting away with sharing one package, I would be upset, and I would report them. I don't want the price of my future package to go up because others feel that stealing can be justified.

Well said my friend.....:):):)

Bob

Thank you for sharing............. your opinions. :D

Drinking_smiley.gif

Cheers All!

I guess the same can be said for you...thanks for sharing..... your opinions.

Some of us know that stealing is wrong, no matter what. And I guess others have no problem with stealing, guess it is all about how you were raised. You know..right from wrong.

my first thought is pass the TP. If I drank that much liquid in the course of one day, I'd spend a lot of time in the restroom, not to mention the calorie intake. What goes in must come out! To each his own, enjoy whatever makes you happy, as long as it's paid for and you don't mind the downside.

Happy cruising....Joanne

I'm not sure anyone wants to discuss calorie intake on a cruise! ;)

I was pointing out that non-alcoholic drinks are available as well -- you don't have to be a lush to purchase the drink package.

Just like there is the opportunity to eat all day should someone choose to -- I don't plan on doing that either. And do we really want to talk about what goes in, must come out?? :eek:

Actually I think this subject is much more clear cut than opinion. It's simply not allowed by the rules. It's pretty cut and dry.

The amusing, or sad issue, however you view it, to me is the pompous and sanctimonious fervor that some posters have taken on the subject. Why, I can almost see them slapping their bible for effect while they're typing. :cool:Really, you're not in charge of anybody else. I think any clear thinking person can realize it's wrong.

I certainly don't mean to come off sounding pompous or sanctimonious. Maybe a bit of moral outrage that some "clear thinking people" think either the behavior itself, or passively condoning the behavior by not speaking out, is acceptable. I'm not perfect, I'm sure at some point I took a soap from a hotel room that I wasn't really entitled to. But, as you said, it's pretty cut and dry, yet there are some who still feel that there's nothing wrong with it, and some who feel that as long as they are not personally or directly affected, it's not their place to say that it's wrong.

Let's look at it from the other side of the fence. Say a pickpocket manages to snatch your wallet. You realize it immediately, but the thief is off and running down the crowded street. You yell, "Somebody grab that guy! He's got my wallet!" The collective response is, "Sorry, we're not in charge of anybody else. It doesn't directly affect us, so it's not our problem. Certainly, picking pockets is wrong, but if asked to comment on the subject, we wouldn't want to be perceived as pompous or sanctimonious. It doesn't matter that, by the free exchange of ideas and opinions, we might possibly deter someone else from embarking on a life of crime, simply by saying, "That's a no-no. Shame, shame." Well, I went off the deep end, there, but I hope you get the idea.

This is a public forum, we're being asked to express our feelings on the subject. I believe anyone who chooses not to take the time to offer a contradictory stance, for fear of sounding like we're lecturing others on how they should behave, is shirking a basic moral obligation.

.....It brings to mind about those who take and never think about what they are doing all because they feel it's been paid for already.

For instance ~

• taking the stationary and pen that's on your desk.

• The miniature shampoo bottles and soap bars that are in your stateroom.

• Grabbing a handful of mints while walking out of the dining.

• Even the towel animals' date=' cause they are so cute.[/b']

• And what about those who eat *too much* at a buffet - just because they feel they paid for it and want to get every pennies worth.

You get the drift of this, right? ;)

These are things most people do. (Please don't report me :o..;)..:p)

I dunno!

I've stayed off this thread because there isn't much to say except, 'yes, it is stealing' or 'but I'm only going to share a little' as if that makes it not stealing. Yup, didn't pull out a gun and rob a bank.....

But for the life of me, I don't see the examples 'Feelin Nauti' is trying to use as comparitive. Stationary and shampoo are there for personal use - there is no charge for them and there to be taken, unlike the drinks you want to 'share' using a card for one person, and the mints are also there for people to take as they wish, again, no charge and no 'guidelines' of how many to take/not take - just as how much you take at a buffet. I'm afraid I'd have to label those as silly examples trying to justify cheating on the drink packages that make no sense.

As to the towel animal? What? The towels aren't up for people to take with them - people are always stealing towels out of hotels and so on, and the term is 'stealing', even if it's now in a 'cute' shape. By the way, if you want to steal towel animals, find another cruise line, not because we don't want you, but because Celebrity doesn't 'do' towel animals except for maybe one or two stewards off another Line. And by the way, once you got it home after Stealing the towel animal, I'm afraid it wouldn't look anything like what you wanted to steal if for anyway.

Please count how many times I used the term 'steal'. It is not harsh, it is being used correctly in these cases, including ordering drinks for someone else off your drink card.

OK, for those that must have a rationale for sharing their cards...here's one: You just orderd your special bottled water using your drink card, and are walking across the deck when the little old lady ahead of you falls down and her husband immediately pops a pill in her mouth and yells he needs water to get it down her throat. Then, and Only then can you 'share' your water! There, another rationale for 'sharing'----happy?

Denny

Interesting but baffling theory, DanManBob. I was recently on the Solstice and listed below is a conservative guess of my daily consumption of beverages. I'm a 50-something year-old woman who was traveling with my 16-year-old granddaughter and in no way did I ever feel like I was over-imbibing because I would never want to set that type of example for her. If the person purchasing the Beverage Package put all of the price into drinking only alcoholic beverages, then perhaps I could understand your point, but there's much more to drink for which you are charged than just alcohol. However, if the daily cost of the package is $60.00 (I've forgotten exactly what it is), and you drink cocktails and wine at the more expensive end of the spectrum, say an average of $11 each, then that is still just 5 and one-half drinks per day. That's a glass of wine with lunch, a couple of frozen drinks by the pool in the afternoon, and two glasses of wine at dinner. This, at least to me, is not what I would consider excessive. Yes, it is much more than I drink at home, but, candidly, I admit that I DO drink more on a cruise, but in no way would I be drunk or even the least bit tipsy after drinking 5 drinks spread out over a period of 10 hours. My daily routine on the Solstice looked something like this:

2 morning lattes @ $4 = $8

2 sodas per day @ $2 = $4

2 bottled waters per day @ $2 = $4

2 frozen drinks or Bloody Mary with lunch @ $6 = $12

1 pre-dinner cocktail @ $10 = $10

1 Perrier with dinner @ $2.50 = $2.50

2 wine with dinner @ $10 = $20

1 ginger tea after dinner @ $4 = $4

1 Bailey's after dinner drink @ $6 = $6

Total = $70.50

To each his own, but I just wish people who can't understand the overall concept or the attractiveness of the beverage packages would stop making those of us who feel like they're a great deal feel like alcoholics. Sorry if I'm over-reacting but no one who knows me would ever consider me to be a heavy drinker and this attitude is a touchy subject for me. I'm sure your comments were meant lightly and in jest, DanManBob, but I hope I have given you another point of view to consider.

Let's look at it from the other side of the fence. Say a pickpocket manages to snatch your wallet. You realize it immediately, but the thief is off and running down the crowded street. You yell, "Somebody grab that guy! He's got my wallet!" The collective response is, "Sorry, we're not in charge of anybody else. It doesn't directly affect us, so it's not our problem. Certainly, picking pockets is wrong, but if asked to comment on the subject, we wouldn't want to be perceived as pompous or sanctimonious. It doesn't matter that, by the free exchange of ideas and opinions, we might possibly deter someone else from embarking on a life of crime, simply by saying, "That's a no-no. Shame, shame." Well, I went off the deep end, there, but I hope you get the idea.

Seriously? Isn't catching the pickpocket more about helping the victim then it is about catching a thief?

On the same note, if we are going to protect the victim -- in this case, Celebrity -- do you really think they want other guests running to them (bartenders?) tattling that other guests are "stealing" because you caught them sharing a drink? Then what, a staff member has to approach the criminal guest and accuse them of stealing? Get real! Celebrity is not about to take a chance of humiliating a guest over 50 cents worth of alcohol.

I agree if people take advantage of the package deal and Celebrity starts losing money then they'll eliminate it. That happens all the time in life -- some people try to do the right thing and others make their own rules.

Yes, I would report a shoplifter because the store would appreciate me doing so.

really ???? not a big drinker here ... but specialty coffee in the morning ... a coke with lunch ... a pina colada or 2 at the pool ... pre dinner cocktail ... martini with dinner ... after dinner drink with show ... wait a minute ... that IS alot of booze .... cst la vie...I think I can break even ... :)

Seriously? Isn't catching the pickpocket more about helping the victim then it is about catching a thief?

On the same note, if we are going to protect the victim -- in this case, Celebrity -- do you really think they want other guests running to them (bartenders?) tattling that other guests are "stealing" because you caught them sharing a drink? Then what, a staff member has to approach the criminal guest and accuse them of stealing? Get real! Celebrity is not about to take a chance of humiliating a guest over 50 cents worth of alcohol.

I agree if people take advantage of the package deal and Celebrity starts losing money then they'll eliminate it. That happens all the time in life -- some people try to do the right thing and others make their own rules.

Yes, I would report a shoplifter because the store would appreciate me doing so.

From one of my earlier posts, I suggested that, if the bar staff is aware someone is abusing the drink package policy, to first step would be to remind them the next time the come back for a refill of what the policy is, the second time (if it recurs) to warn them, the third time to take the little sticker off the SeaPass card. Part of the problem with this is that it would be damn hard to catch them. If someone were to mention, "Hey, I'm pretty sure that last guy here has been giving his drinks to his wife, who doesn't have the drink package. Thought you should know," it at least gives them a heads up to be watching for it. It's conceivable that the bartender might find himself in line for a little bonus, pay raise or promotion if he can help discourage drink cheaters, so you could be doing some not-well-paid crewmember a favor. And while the alcohol in question might only cost Celebrity fifty cents, it represents a loss in revenue of five dollars (or more), had the drink been purchased legitimately.

But it really wasn't about ratting out other passengers to the staff, it was about the unwillingness of some to do or even say anything if they see an injustice being done. In the analogy, Celebrity is the victim, but I was trying to point out that it's wrong for people to say it isn't an issue worth addressing, just because it doesn't directly affect them. If, by speaking out, I've changed even one person's mind about sneaking/stealing drinks, I would hope Celebrity would appreciate it just as much as the store would appreciate you reporting the shoplifter. I didn't appreciate being indirectly disparaged by an earlier poster for trying to do my part to make the world a little better place.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be off to help little old ladies across the street:D!

From one of my earlier posts, I suggested that, if the bar staff is aware someone is abusing the drink package policy, to first step would be to remind them the next time the come back for a refill of what the policy is, the second time (if it recurs) to warn them, the third time to take the little sticker off the SeaPass card. Part of the problem with this is that it would be damn hard to catch them. If someone were to mention, "Hey, I'm pretty sure that last guy here has been giving his drinks to his wife, who doesn't have the drink package. Thought you should know," it at least gives them a heads up to be watching for it. It's conceivable that the bartender might find himself in line for a little bonus, pay raise or promotion if he can help discourage drink cheaters, so you could be doing some not-well-paid crewmember a favor. And while the alcohol in question might only cost Celebrity fifty cents, it represents a loss in revenue of five dollars (or more), had the drink been purchased legitimately.

But it really wasn't about ratting out other passengers to the staff, it was about the unwillingness of some to do or even say anything if they see an injustice being done. In the analogy, Celebrity is the victim, but I was trying to point out that it's wrong for people to say it isn't an issue worth addressing, just because it doesn't directly affect them. If, by speaking out, I've changed even one person's mind about sneaking/stealing drinks, I would hope Celebrity would appreciate it just as much as the store would appreciate you reporting the shoplifter. I didn't appreciate being indirectly disparaged by an earlier poster for trying to do my part to make the world a little better place.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be off to help little old ladies across the street:D!

Were you a hall monitor in Jr High?

Anyone ever take a pen from work that found its way home? Make a personal call from your desk at work before cell phones? Used the fax machine for a personal fax? Or, anyone use the internet and log on to Cruise Critic from work when they are on the clock?

Point is in the grand scheme of things we all know these things happen. Just like we know someone is going to try to get over on the Beverage Packages.

I agree with those who make the mental note that they know it occurs, and that its none of their concern to the point of being a snitch. Celebrity is watching and the staff will step in and do what they need to do when necessary.

So unless you go to your Ethics Committee in the workplace to turn in co-workers in for pen stealing, you will be unlikely to do so while on board and you would not be expected to do so by me.

Archived