Miami Port to FLL - Best Way?

We have a cruise booked on the Liberty arriving at the port of Miami at 6am, and an 11:30am (international) flight out of FLL for which we'll need to check in by 9ish. What is the best (fastest and most economical) way of getting 5 people from the ship to FLL in somewhat of a hurry?

Also, should we carry off our own luggage? What time would that generally be, and is it a major hassle? (Most of us have 4-wheeled suitcases, but we're not the lightest packers). If we didn't do express-walk-off, what time would the earlier groups be off?

Thanks in advance! :)

Wow - that's going to be tight, if not impossible:( You may dock @ 6:30ish, but the ship has to clear customs and get luggage offloaded. Your only shot is going to be self assisted debark (carry your own luggage off), but you have to be able to handle all of your luggage by yourself with no help (keep that in mind while packing);) I believe RCCL advises no flight from FLL before 12 or 1 on debark day, as the airport is about 45 minutes from the terminal without traffic. You should either rent a car and leave it at the terminal parking lot ($20 per day) or make arrangments with a private car company to be waiting for you at the door and whisk you off to the airport:o

I honestly think you should try to find a later flight or stay one night in Miami and take the same flight out the next day (if available). Why put yourself through that much stress after a wonderful vacation:eek:

Miami Port to FLL is a really expensive taxi ride... it is not close. If the five of you are willing, I would arrange with a local car service... you could split it five ways. It is about a 30-45 minutes drive. You won't fit five people in one taxi but the car service can hopefully use one of their vans.

Not knowing what day it is... weekend or weekday... never, and I mean never trust I-95... it is one of the busiest, if not the busiest, highway in Florida.

As far as luggage, I always carry my luggage off myself. But that's just me.

Good luck.

Okay now I'm really worried. It was a family member that booked the flight without doing adequate research (I wouldn't have booked this one, that's for sure - it would have been after 2pm or the following day for me) and apparently it's non-changeable and non-refundable. And dare I mention that it's a Sunday?

Any more promising stories/experiences?

Contact Cache Limo. We used them last August to get from Miami to FLL. They were great! They had us to FLL in under 30 minutes. If you can't handle your luggage yourselves make sure you have the earliest tags to get off the ship. Most cruises I have been on they start calling colors by 7am. Here is a link to the review I posted on Cache. Good luck!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050882

SAS service has to originate in Ft. Lauderdale, I believe. So unless the OP needs a ride TO Miami FROM Ft. Lauderdale precruise, he won't be able to use them for the return from Miami. I think a local car service will be the only way to go. This really doesn't look do-able to me. OP, can you pay a penalty and change your flights?

We too are doing a cruise on Liberty in Feb. We also have a flight at 11:30 out of FLL. We have done this in the past and been at the airport at 9:00. We usually book the transfers which I think we $60/person. A little high, but it is all with Transat Holidays. Just a suggestion

The mitigating factor is that you will arrive on Sunday, so there should not be much traffic from the port, up I-95, to FLL. Still, it's cutting it close. You may have to take your own baggage off, as soon as they start debarkation.

SAS will pick up at Port of Miami and drop off at FLL.

1-3 passengers $15 each

4+ passengers $13 each

http://www.ridesas.com/html/rates.html

The only way you will make it to FLL by 9:00, if your lucky, really lucky, will be to take all your luggage off the ship by yourself. I just got off the Liberty on August 1st. I had plenty of time to get to the airport, so I chose to stay on board for a while. I got in line to debark around 8:30 and made it off by 9:00 (long line). That line was for U.S. citizens. International guest leave the ship through a different exit.

Picking up luggage at the Port of Miami can be a nightmare. They have conveyor belts (like the airport) and unload 4-5 colors on the same conveyor section. I waited about 15 minutes, before all my luggage came out. Not bad, but 2 minutes after picking up my luggage that conveyor belt stopped moving, with luggage still on it. I don't know when it started moving again.

The drive to FLL will be around 35 - 50 minutes, depending on traffic. If you are lucky to get off the ship at 7:00, you should make it to the airport by 9:00. Remember, no one can get off the ship until it is cleared by Customs and Border Protection officials. The earliest call 6:15.

In Fort Lauderdale (and Miami) does everyone go through Immigration OFF of the ship? I've sailed a lot from the West Coast; and on RCI, the Non-US passengers (I'm Canadian) have to go through Immigration at 6:30 am in the dining room (I won't go into how we feel about that, because profane language is involved:p). I am off to FLL in 2 weeks for the Oasis, and just want to know what immigration is like there. Thanks!

I saved all my papers from my June sailing on the Liberty out of Miami.

The information for departure day states:

United States Citizens/Residents and Canadians must show their passport or proof of citizenship (e.g. citizenship card or birth certificate and photo identification, or A.R.C. card).

non-United States Citizens must show their passport and a completed immigration form (I-94)

Please have all of your documents in hand and your passport open to the photo page.

Express Departure

Carry your own luggage for an Express Departure at approximately 6:15 am - 7:00 am.

The first TAG will be called off the ship at approximately 7:00 am. The last TAG will be called at approximately 9:30 am. Please note this order is subject to flow of guests and luggage in and out of the terminal and may change slightly.

Don't let everyone worry you - you can be off the boat and enroute to the airport by 7:30-8AM and easily be there by 9 - 2.5 hours before your flight departs. It's close, and a later flight would have definately been the way to go, but it's not impossible. You have no choice other than to carry your things off the ship on your own so you can leave early and your AM is going to be a little rushed and hectic but you'll make it!!!!!:D

We used SAS from the port in Miami to FLL (arranged in advance). We had no problem with them. However, they do wait to load a complete van (plus one- one person didn't have a seatbelt). In your situation, you need to arrange with a car service that is willing to take just your party (that is, not wait at the port until they're full). If you can't find one willing to do so, I suggest a taxi (even though it's expensive). And definitely carry off your luggage!

We have the exact same situation, same ship, same flight time. Is yours Oct 10th cruise?

We have booked SAS and he assured me that it will be no problem. Our travel agent told us to keep our luggage the night before and let the ship know that we will need early disembarkation.

Archived