Can the MDR Hold a Candle to a Real Restaurant in a Foodie Town?

globe9

Got a little off topic on another thread and the subject of MDR food came up vs NOLA food. Thought this topic might warrant it's own thread.

I am from New Orleans. I like to cruise and have been on many cruises, but the MDR food is not what I usually call good. Sure, some items are better than others, and yes, sometimes there are hidden gems, but overall I don't think the MDR food can hold a candle to any established New Orleans area restaurant(and I'm not just talking high end, high dollar restaurants). I'm sure this is the case for restaurants in many other "foodie" towns, such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. etc.

Yes, maybe the MDR is outstanding compared to the local fare in Shreveport, Springfield, Des Moines, etc. I've traveled extensively and it sometimes can be hard to find a decent restaurant in some towns that isn't an Applebee's, Chili's, etc.

I'm NOT dissing the MDR. It is nearly impossible to serve outstanding meals to 3,000 or 4,000 people every night and have the food taste great. Nothing is cooked to order and much of it sits around before being served.

The quality of ingredients are also not up to par. It would be impossible for Carnival to serve high quality ingredients as the cost would be prohibitive, especially since you have many passengers ordering more than 1 entree, appetizer, etc. Take those lobster tails in the MDR everyone raves about. Order lobster in a real restaurant and you'll see what I mean.

The MDR cannot compete with any decent restaurant in NOLA b/c of these limitations.

With that being said, I did not starve on any cruise, but my expectations for a culinary experience were not set high. I was not disappointed. A cruise is not about the food for me anyway. It's about the ability to lay around and do nothing for 5 or 7 days and RELAX. Something that is hard to come by at home.

I know many will disagree with me, as I have already seen in the other thread, but to each his own I guess. Some people like Outback Steakhouse. Other's like Ruth's Chris. Taste is a very personal thing.

MDRs are function food or banquet food. You can only do so much with that. The specialty restaurants are real restaurants. Carnival's steakhouses are very good and comparable with the better, but not best, steakhouses. Carnival ages their steaks (Princess does not).

I don't understand your remark about Applebee's and Chili's. Are you implying that they are decent restaurants? I prefer MDRs on most ships (just would never order a steak in a MDR - would at Outback).

MDRs are function food or banquet food. You can only do so much with that.

I don't understand your remark about Applebee's and Chili's. Are you implying that they are decent restaurants? I prefer MDRs on most ships (just would never order a steak in a MDR - would at Outback).

Banquet food...that is exactly what I meant and there is only so much you can do with that.

No, I don't think Applebee's or Chili's are decent restaurants...just passable chains IMO. Just meant to imply that in some towns, no decent restaurants can be found....all they have are chains such as Applebees or Chili's etc.

Haven't tried a specialty restaurant onboard a ship yet, as so far, only one of my cruises has even offered them and that was the Conquest. Wasn't sure what to expect with the food in one of those.

Will try one next time I am onboard a ship that offers that.

Thanks for the reply.

Got a little off topic on another thread and the subject of MDR food came up vs NOLA food. Thought this topic might warrant it's own thread.

I am from New Orleans. I like to cruise and have been on many cruises, but the MDR food is not what I usually call good. Sure, some items are better than others, and yes, sometimes there are hidden gems, but overall I don't think the MDR food can hold a candle to any established New Orleans area restaurant(and I'm not just talking high end, high dollar restaurants). I'm sure this is the case for restaurants in many other "foodie" towns, such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. etc.

Yes, maybe the MDR is outstanding compared to the local fare in Shreveport, Springfield, Des Moines, etc. I've traveled extensively and it sometimes can be hard to find a decent restaurant in some towns that isn't an Applebee's, Chili's, etc.

I'm NOT dissing the MDR. It is nearly impossible to serve outstanding meals to 3,000 or 4,000 people every night and have the food taste great. Nothing is cooked to order and much of it sits around before being served.

The quality of ingredients are also not up to par. It would be impossible for Carnival to serve high quality ingredients as the cost would be prohibitive, especially since you have many passengers ordering more than 1 entree, appetizer, etc. Take those lobster tails in the MDR everyone raves about. Order lobster in a real restaurant and you'll see what I mean.

The MDR cannot compete with any decent restaurant in NOLA b/c of these limitations.

With that being said, I did not starve on any cruise, but my expectations for a culinary experience were not set high. I was not disappointed. A cruise is not about the food for me anyway. It's about the ability to lay around and do nothing for 5 or 7 days and RELAX. Something that is hard to come by at home.

I know many will disagree with me, as I have already seen in the other thread, but to each his own I guess. Some people like Outback Steakhouse. Other's like Ruth's Chris. Taste is a very personal thing.

I agree with you. The food on any mass market line is like banquet food and there is nothing that they can do about it because it is impossible to serve 2000 meals in such a short time and get high quality.

Not that the food is bad, but there is nothing special about it.

I would accept your comparison as valid if you could show me a restaurant in NOLA that serves 12,000 meals a day and maintain consistent quality.

This is kinda my point. I don't think the MDR is quality. No, of course no NOLA restaurant could serve that many meals a day and have good quality.

The point is that I don't think the MDR food is all that. Kinda came up when people were complaining about the underdressed people on elegant night and how their dress ruined their "fine dining" experience. Don't consider MDR fine dining IMO and was curious to see how many people did.

On a cruise, the fare you pay does not cover really good food. It covers basic food, like you may get at a "family style" restaurant.

Most of the larger ships have specialty restaurants with higher quality food, for additional cost.

Some would prefer a higher fare and have the higher quality cost for free. Others want the lowest possible fare and are willing to give up good free food in return. Seems the cruise industry caters to the latter.

No other foodie town can hold a candle to the better restaurants in New Orleans. :)

Even in New Orleans, a quality meal for a large number of people would be limited to a choice of 2 or 3 entrees, have more waitstaff, and cost several times what a cruise line would charge.

Once, when Carnival was planning the Blogger's cruise in New Orleans (maybe before?), they were considering preparing a banquet and entertainment for locals to introduce them to Carnival's food and entertainment. The plan was also to charge for that. I did my best to talk them out of that bad, bad, idea and thank goodness they seemed to listen, 'cause it didn't happen.

I like Carnival food, and much of it is pretty good, but 5 star it isn't. But neither is the price.:)

I would accept your comparison as valid if you could show me a restaurant in NOLA that serves 12,000 meals a day and maintain consistent quality.

Their service is faster than the restaurants in NOLA. Remember that place John went to before Bloggers?:rolleyes:

I like Carnival food, and much of it is pretty good, but 5 star it isn't. But neither is the price.:)

I agree. I know Carnival can't offer 5 star food for the price it charges. I'm actually fine with that. Like I said, I don't starve on a cruise by any means.

Haven't tried the specialty restaurants yet, as other than 1 cruise on the Conquest, none of the other ships I have been on offered it. I will try these as soon I am on a cruise with one. Am I correct in understanding that the specialty restaurants costs about $20 per person? If this is true, and the food is much better, it's totally worth the extra, b/c $20 still isn't that much money.

Their service is faster than the restaurants in NOLA. Remember that place John went to before Bloggers?:rolleyes:

Of course it's faster, everything's been cooked and is sitting on trays :D

I've had some great service in most New Orleans area restaurants. I've also usually had great service onboard Carnival. But just like with anything, each one can have an off day as I've also had bad servers on Carnival and in area restaurants.

I invited John to dine with us and he would have had an outstanding experience. Actually I don't even think I received the courtesy of a reply.

As I understand it, they made no reservations and didn't want to wait for tables at a decent restaurant. They ended up walking into a more or less empty restaurant that even Stevie Wonder could see was a bad sign and appearances were not deceiving.

I did get an email from one of the Stephanies for some restaurant recommendations when they were considering a banquet for 300 or so people (another plan that fell through), and the restaurant they chose for that evening was none of the ones I recommended, nor would I recommend it.

It was some seriously poor planning on his part, or whoever picked the restaurant they ended up at. There were plenty of local bloggers that could have assisted.

I agree. I know Carnival can't offer 5 star food for the price it charges. I'm actually fine with that. Like I said, I don't starve on a cruise by any means.

Haven't tried the specialty restaurants yet, as other than 1 cruise on the Conquest, none of the other ships I have been on offered it. I will try these as soon I am on a cruise with one. Am I correct in understanding that the specialty restaurants costs about $20 per person? If this is true, and the food is much better, it's totally worth the extra, b/c $20 still isn't that much money.

$30pp is the current charge and you will have a much better experience. People usually tip extra, although the charge is supposed to include tip, I believe.

The MDR is usually good enough for us - the supper clubs are more for "fine" and leisurely dining.

I invited John to dine with us and he would have had an outstanding experience. Actually I don't even think I received the courtesy of a reply.

As I understand it, they made no reservations and didn't want to wait for tables at a decent restaurant. They ended up walking into a more or less empty restaurant that even Stevie Wonder could see was a bad sign and appearances were not deceiving.

I did get an email from one of the Stephanies for some restaurant recommendations when they were considering a banquet for 300 or so people (another plan that fell through), and the restaurant they chose for that evening was none of the ones I recommended, nor would I recommend it.

It was some seriously poor planning on his part, or whoever picked the restaurant they ended up at. There were plenty of local bloggers that could have assisted.

Oh, yeah, if you try to go to a NO restaurant without reservations, you have to be willing to wait. If you aren't willing to wait and you go to a place where you don't have to wait, that is a sign that the place isn't good.

I grew up in Chicago and was lucky enough to go to wonderful (expensive) restaurants downtown when I was growing up. I have also been to the Maine shore and Boston several times and had wonderful Lobster there. That being said, i think that the quality of food on Carnival is very good if not excellent. Most, if not all, of your fine dining restaurants in "foodie towns" could not handle the amount of people Carnival serves in one day and Carnival does it with a smile.

Jen

I have always found the food in the MDR more then adequate. I recently ate at Ruth's Chris in NYC and it was OK - but when they brought the bill I threw up in my mouth a little. I never feel like that in the MDR.

ever hear about Apples and Oranges?

Think of a real "foodie" paradise as being apples. A MDR on a cruise ship is most certainly oranges. You can't really compare them. It's unfair to compare a resturant with something on the scale of an MDR. This is the reason that resturant guides have different sections for things.

It's basically like trying to compare an upscale french resturant with an awesome Texas BBQ...just doesn't work. Take a look at some dinner quides and see how they are broken down. My father was a NYC food critic and would have laughed at that comparision

Wow, I don't believe this is really a major point of discussion! If you don't like the food, don't eat it. I've always been very happy with my dining experience in the MDR, but I also don't have much to compare it to. You see, if I want to go to one of them fancy dining places, I have to put a set of tires on my house and hitch it up to the pickup so the family can all go to the restaurant together. :eek:;)

Another point to consider.

Would the MDR please most passengers if it was a real "foodie" type restaurant?? There are many that like it simple as well as more sophisticated. Remember on every menu you are given the selection of appetizers, cold soup, hot soup, meat, beef, poulty, seafood, and several desserts. The thread that got you thinking complained about the selections available. And that is the strength of the MDR there are many selctions to meet the needs of the thousands of passengers being served. Instead of hundreds of different restaurants to please the thousands of folks each night.

Execution is indeed banquet style but that's almost what it has to be.

Cheers.

Strange questionm

It's food. It's either good, or not. Never thought about comparing it to anything else than another cruieline, but if I had to, it would not be a restaurant. It would be to a catering hall.

I enjoy my selections on board, and choose wisely on dishes I'm particular about.

It's also about variety. In 7 days, I can usually satisfy every taste and craving I have. Can't do that anywhere else.

Let me dig through the minutia here, I think your post can be broken down to "NOLA food is the best, better than ships food and better than the rest of the country, so there!"

Portland Maine, 2nd highest ratio restaurants/population in the country (after SanFran)

This is kinda my point. I don't think the MDR is quality. No, of course no NOLA restaurant could serve that many meals a day and have good quality.

The point is that I don't think the MDR food is all that. Kinda came up when people were complaining about the underdressed people on elegant night and how their dress ruined their "fine dining" experience. Don't consider MDR fine dining IMO and was curious to see how many people did.

Agree 100 percent. It is like some of the 'fancy dress' fans have never been ANYWHERE!

Archived