Can the MDR Hold a Candle to a Real Restaurant in a Foodie Town?

globe9

For anyone still confused, the fine dining is offered in the Supper Club. Dining is offered in the MDR. Eating is offered in the Lido restaurants, and room service.

Fine dining is subjective as well. From what I've heard some would not be satisfied with the Supper Club either. On the other hand, I find even in the MDR there are elements of fine dining and considering the quantity of food passing through there it's impressive. The best dining experience I had was at a Ritz Carlton. We were treated to a 9 course Chef's Tasting Menu. I doubt I'll experience anything like that again so if I used that as the measuring stick everything else will be disappointing to me. Luckily I don't expect that so I'm able to enjoy fine dining and faux fine dining and even every great once in awhile Five Guys burgers.

No, haven't had a good Mojito anywhere up here.

The lounge at the top of the Eastland Park Hotel served us some mighty fine mojitos. They may have just tasted much better due to the wonderful view of the sunset over the Portland harbor though. ;)

Yep. OP has brought up the following topics:

Carnival MDR food is not up to par.

Carnival MDR food ingredients are not up to par.

Shorts in the MDR.

Mexican food debate.

I'm guessing smoking might be next. :rolleyes:

The OP's question was is it fine dining and the answer is no. Is it good enough? Usually.

The lounge at the top of the Eastland Park Hotel served us some mighty fine mojitos. They may have just tasted much better due to the wonderful view of the sunset over the Portland harbor though. ;)

It's a nice bar. Ended many a night there. Never had a 'Jito there, might have to try one this weekend. Just wish it was bigger!

How was dining FINE back in the big band era when they had singers and dancers with fruit salad headgear, ALL THROUGH THE MEAL, and yet all they patrons were dressed FORMALLY.

I can leave when the "singing and dancing" starts. In chain restaurants I cannot leave when the server comes to the table and says "HI, I'm Kirsten Ann and I'll be your server tonight and lifelong BFF even tho I have no clue how to be a waitress!" "Are you ready to order?" "Oh, you need a menu?"

Wouldn't know, the big band era was from the 1930's to late 1940's. Not the same as fine dining today.

To me, FINE DINING is excellent food, competently served, and the company of an interesting other or others. On Carnival, when the dancing starts, any chance of "fine" dining, ends. But the MDR is just dining, not FINE dining anyway. Good to very good, but not in the Michelin Star range----EVER. Neither is the Steakhouse, although the Steakhouse is EXCELLENT. The Michelin guide is the PREMIER fine dining rating guide. It does NOT consider the atmosphere. It does not consider the decor. It does not consider the service. It considers the quality, preparation, and taste of the food, period. Our Mobil Guides and Holiday Magazine Guides and others are as much about the denier of the napkins as they are about the food.

To me, FINE DINING is excellent food, competently served, and the company of an interesting other or others. On Carnival, when the dancing starts, any chance of "fine" dining, ends. But the MDR is just dining, not FINE dining anyway. Good to very good, but not in the Michelin Star range----EVER. Neither is the Steakhouse, although the Steakhouse is EXCELLENT. The Michelin guide is the PREMIER fine dining rating guide. It does NOT consider the atmosphere. It does not consider the decor. It does not consider the service. It considers the quality, preparation, and taste of the food, period. Our Mobil Guides and Holiday Magazine Guides and others are as much about the denier of the napkins as they are about the food.

Just curious.... would you say the MDR is the same as Applebees or "finer dining" than Applebees? To me, it's an overall "finer dining" experience.

Someone who is a true gourmet....and really into "fine dining"....would not be sailing on a Carnival cruise expecting "the real thing". If that person had "dining expectations" while on vacation...that person would be making other plans and would know where to make them.

Carnival is full of gourmands and Carnival is full of people who don't experience "upscale" restaurants on a routine basis. So, you put small portions on a plate, add a few sprigs, tell them "to dress up" and give them a waiter who may or may not remember the name/drink....and voila....they have a "fine dining" experience.

The ambiance Carnival tries to create gives the people "the feeling of royalty" for a few days....kind of like 1st class on the Titanic. I don't think the taste of the food really comes into play. It's "the experience".

For me....playing dress up, possibly sitting with a bunch of strangers and waiting to be served small portions just isn't fine dining. For others it's "the experience of a lifetime".

The definition of fine dining is very subjective....and just depends on where you're coming from.......

The definition of fine dining is very subjective....and just depends on where you're coming from.......

I couldn't agree more. The 9 course Chef's Tasting Menu I was treated to at the Ritz Carlton is the finest dining experience I've ever had. But I wouldn't be surprised if others have experienced better. But I think for many cruisers, even with the singing and dancing, the MDR meets their expectations of fine dining especially if they're comparing it to Applebees. jmo.

To get a little off topic on this thread and the subject of MDR mobility came up vs NOLA mobility. Thought this topic might warrant it's own question.

I've been to many quality restaurants, in many foodie towns, even in New Orleans, and I have yet to come across one with the same mobility of the MDR. I would even hazard to say not a one restaurant even moved a single inch from their respective parking lots!! :eek:

I am from Miami. I like to cruise and have been on many cruises, but their restaurants and food are not what I usually call well-traveled. Sure, some restaurants are better than others, you can look out one window during your appetizer and maybe a different window during dessert, but overall I don't think they can hold a candle to any established MDR view (and I'm not just talking the high capcity window tables). I 'm sure this is the case for restaurants in many other "foodie" towns, such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. etc.

They all just sit there.

Not going anywhere. Not getting me closer to a single other destination. Hrmph. Taste is a very personal thing. :cool:

For anyone still confused, the fine dining is offered in the Supper Club. Dining is offered in the MDR. Eating is offered in the Lido restaurants, and room service.

Very good Pete! That is it in a nutshell.

The OP's question was is it fine dining and the answer is no. Is it good enough? Usually.

That too.

I couldn't agree more. The 9 course Chef's Tasting Menu I was treated to at the Ritz Carlton is the finest dining experience I've ever had. But I wouldn't be surprised if others have experienced better. But I think for many cruisers, even with the singing and dancing, the MDR meets their expectations of fine dining especially if they're comparing it to Applebees. jmo.

If you ever get to Napa, go to the French Laundry. Was voted best restaurant in the world in 2003 and 2004. $250/pp for the best meal of your life!

Never had mojitos at the top of the Eastland, ;) but have been to a banquet there and the food was not all that great. (DH's work place had a function there) This was about 6 or 7 years ago and I know they have a new chef now, so it might be different....but their banquet food was only about as good as CCL's and it sure as hell cost a bunch more.

The finest dining experience I ever had was so expensive, that all I kept thinking throughout the meal was 'This is a week on a ship...this is a week on a ship....this is a week on a ship'

So, as nice as it was, I won't do it again. :p

This was at the White Barn Inn (also in Maine, but in Kennebunkport.)

This is because they want "the experience"....and not necessarily the taste of the food.

Putting on rhinestones and a JCPenny gown may create a certain ambiance for a certain type of person....but it's not diamonds and Vera Wang.

The same with the food....tiny portions with sprigs being served by a waiter does not make the food "5 star".

Atmosphere....and the feeling of being a princess!

If I wear shorts...the food will taste the same....but for the person who craves "that certain ambiance"....my wearing of shorts ruins his "fantasy" of being royalty.

This is because they want "the experience"....and not necessarily the taste of the food.

Putting on rhinestones and a JCPenny gown may create a certain ambiance for a certain type of person....but it's not diamonds and Vera Wang.

The same with the food....tiny portions with sprigs being served by a waiter does not make the food "5 star".

Atmosphere....and the feeling of being a princess!

If I wear shorts...the food will taste the same....but for the person who craves "that certain ambiance"....my wearing of shorts ruins his "fantasy" of being royalty.

Hmmm.... nope. Not even going to respond to most of what you wrote.

The faux snobbiness did make me laugh but I think you're describing Royal Caribbean, not Carnival. jmo. Carnival is down to earth and knows what it is.

Hmmm.... nope. Not even going to respond. The faux snobbiness did make me chuckle though.

Well...then how can you explain why my wearing shorts ruins another person's meal?

Most Carnival cruisers probably couldn't tell the difference between fast food and fine cuisine if "served correctly".

The fine dining experience people crave is just the fantasy of "living the life...." for a few days.

The finest dining experience I ever had was so expensive, that all I kept thinking throughout the meal was 'This is a week on a ship...this is a week on a ship....this is a week on a ship'

So, as nice as it was, I won't do it again. :p

This was at the White Barn Inn (also in Maine, but in Kennebunkport.)

Yep, for us, true fine dining is a special occasion thing only. Luckily the Ritz meal was a freebie, hubby has a friend who used to manage the food and drink for one of the regions. The meal was over $400. :eek::eek::eek: Not quite a week on a ship but a lot of $$$$ in my book.

Archived