We are booked on the Mariner, September 5 (Istanbul-Athens). Pre-cruise we are staying first in London and then in Istanbul for a couple days in each. What is the best way to handle money for tips, airport transportation, etc. Do you bring traveler's checks? Do you change money before leaving so you have some foreign currency on you? Also, the hotel we are staying at in Istanbul gives a substantial discount for paying cash. We would like to take advantage of that. Is it easy to change money at a bank say for example with Traveler's checks? ATM cards? What do you experienced travelers suggest? Also, when you are in ports do you change money to Euro's....at a bank...on the ship???

Hi Neighbor:

We have our bank order the currency for the places where we are going so we have local currency before we go. It makes it easier. We also carry an ATM Debit card. We have opened a bank account with a card that is not tied to any other accounts, has no automatic payments or services. We have someone who could deposit funds in the account if we misjudged but not enough if we were hacked or our card went missing.

Istanbul was one of our favorite ports.

We use ATM cards when we travel, but usually carry a few pounds, or euros, or whatever just to get started. In the case of Turkey I would wait until you arrive. If you're flying to Istanbul you should be able to buy currency at the airport. For the hotel, if you have to pay in Turkish lira, calculate how much it will be in $, and make sure that your daily maximum withdrawal is enough, or plan on withdrawing your max over several days.

Please see CC Ports of Call (Europe) threads below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=982571&highlight=atm

(concur with post #9, and agree with Wendy--take a few Euros/small amt of country

currency before leaving home then use ATM at airport. Most CC posts in ports section recommend you get currency from the ATM at airport (most likely best deal). We travel with a USAA debit card pay no fees--USAA reimburses ATM use fee) Altho u did not ask, one of the best credit cards to use in Europe is a Cap One

Visa CC card--charges no foreign transaction fees.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1012272

(post #8 is very good advice; post #17 points out Schwab Debit card

refunds ATM fees, another rec for Cap One CC)

I have traveled quite a bit to Europe and have been to Turkey 3 times in the past few years. I may be different than others but I never get any foreign currency or traveler's checks before leaving the USA. I usually have a few euros and pounds left over from previous trips but that is probably less than $20 US. I also carry some USA dollars but really more for use at airports along the way.

Traveler's checks just are not used much any more. I took a couple hundred dollars of them with me for several trips, never used them and decided why bother? For exchanging them or US dollars at a foreign bank or exchange agency, you have to deal with a person, either one at the exchange agency or a bank and it is always a hassle. Most European banks make you go through all sorts of hoops to exchange and then give a poor exchange rate.

So what do I do? ATMs and credit cards. I have never been in an European airport that did not have several ATMs. In a lot of cases, you can have local money before you get your luggage. Sometimes it says ATM, sometimes Cash Machine, sometimes Bankomat and other terms but they are pretty easy to spot. I have never been charged an ATM fee from a European bank or from a Turkish bank. You may get fees from your USA bank or credit union that issued the card but not from the overseas one. (Just wait--with my luck, the next one I use will charge me!) Practically all ATMs have a choice of languages, one of which is always English. And you do not have to deal with the local bureaucrats and paperwork. The ATM will give the very best exchange rate but your USA bank make charge you a fee to make the exchange--check before you go! Just in case one card might be damaged or an ATM "eats" it, I always carry at least two different cards just to be safe.

Pretty much the same for Visa and Mastercard credit cards. American Express is not taken as often. Again, the best exchange rate. If you have a credit card that give a rebate at the year end, it may almost offset any fee the USA bank charges you. Again, check with the issuing bank to see what the fees might be.

A word of warning about Turkish money. It is very hard to exchange anyplace but Turkey so try to not end up with much at the end.

Now for the local ports in places that do not use euros. I have not been on a Regent ship in a couple of years (my April trip was canceled because of the volcano) but they used to have some foreign money that you could buy at the front desk. It is restricted in certain ports by the local laws so they may not have every local currency. This allows you to get a few dollars of the local money without the hassle (but probably not the best exchange rate but better than having a lot left over that you cannot exchange).

For trinkets and things like that, many shops will take US dollars and euros at a very poor exchange rate but they give you back local money for change. If it is only $5 or so, it may not be worth it to do a real exchange because you would be left with a lot of local currency that could not be exchanged back to dollars easily.

Just my thoughts. I am sure others do it differently.

I agree that an ATM is the best way to go and gives the best exchange rate. As others have mentioned, we keep extra Euro's after a trip to use in the future. The worst exchange rate we have received is by ordering foreign currency through our bank -- however a couple of times it has been necessary. You have a wonderful itinerary -- we did Istanbul to Athens 2 years ago -- one of our favorite sailings. Enjoy!

I like to have local currency with me before I leave home if I know I will need a taxi to the hotel.

This is what ATM's at the destination airport are for :)

I can understand the comfort value of having the currency though and this is another reason why I never change money back at the end of a holiday so I invariably have enough to cover a taxi fare next time around.

Yep. In fact, I have ziplocked bags of euros, sterling, USD, Turkish lira, Polynesian francs, Brazilian reais and Lithuanian litas. All in the expectation of more trips!

You sound like me. Actually, one of my baggies has a whole lot of Canadian currency. . . . . always find it useful:)

Archived