Great Gift Ideas for the Crew

Cruise2Karaoke

He was in your room while you were showering???

I'm having a hard time with this one as well. That has to break some sort of etiquette rules.

But...hey...apparently if you sing for them...they will come...

OMG.. I love this board so much.. Reminded me of the "Trinkets" thread.. ROTFLMAO!! :D

Love your reaction OP.. Priceless... ;)

And, for me personally, I would not want the steward in my room while I was in the shower.. But that is for me though..

I agree with what everyone said about the limited space the crew has available in their quarters. Several people on other threads have said they have left behind their hanging shoe organizer type things for their stewards who have been appreciative of a space-saver.

But really, in talking to a few of the crew members on our last cruise, they mentioned that really, cash handed directly to them is the nicest thing to get. They can send it home to their families in some form or another, or they can use it for spending cash/fun stuff when they get ashore. I bring along a little box of some pretty stationary, write a nice note to let them know I appreciate their efforts to make my vacation special and just stuff it with some cash and had it directly to the crew members the last day or two of the cruise as I see them. I like the idea of the fun-size candybars wrapped in cash, too.

Cash from us as well. Sometimes I bring a pack of nice thank you notes and write them a personal note of thanks. Knowing full well, it will end up in the trash. I am okay with that, just an expression of our gratitude for a job well done!

the most appropriate song for the cabin stewards has these lyrics....

"the best things in life are free, but you can save em for the birds n bees...

i need money...that's what i want"

most appreciated gift of all.... let them get what they want, so they don't have to paste polite smiles on their faces pretending they love whatever trinket they have no room for nor desire to possess.

I give cash too. In a plain white envelope with their name on it. I take the time to write really great comments including their names and how awesome they were on the comment cards. If warranted.

I was told that cash and the comment cards were most invaluable to them.

On my last cruise the room Stewart said how much he enjoyed my singing in the bathroom while he was busy cleaning. So on the last day I left him a cd I had made of me performing. OMG the look on his face was priceless! He even gave me a big hug lol! I'm planning on bringing half a dozen cd's on my next cruise to reward some of the crew for their hard work. They all seem to be such music lovers.

Does anyone else have any great gift ideas?

What a great idea. I need to tell my wife. On our next cruise I'm going to do the same. I'm done with giving money now.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
why was he in your room while you were in the bathroom? :eek:

please answer this, curious minds need to know!

I rarely read the 2nd page of a thread but I did this time, I am laughing witht the rest of you.

Last xmas on a cruise to Hawaii, I purchased t shirts from our home town and gave out. I wanted something more then money on xmas. However, in the card with the shirt was a 50. One of our waiters said at the end of the cruise he really appreciated the wrapped gift, saying it was the only one he got. That made me a little sad:(.

The only other gift i gave, other then cash, was a pen. On our first cruise our waiter had this really little pen he used for our orders and one night it stopped working, so the next day in port my wife found him another and gave it to him.

With this thread, I think we can tell the the cruise lines really do a good job in training their people. How else do these people put up with us!

John

We own a hotel, and we often receive gifts from hotel guests. Although the gesture is nice, most of time we don't know what to do with all the stuff. We could start a museum with all the ornaments, postcards, photographs, trinkets and other things people give us. Of course, we smile and say thank you, and don't tell people that they can keep their .....

Our housekeeping staff are single moms or have husbands on welfare or low incomes, and they really need the wage to provide for their kids. They take the empty deposit beer bottles home and left brand shampoo bottles (we ship forgotten items to guests, but not open bottles). A tip makes a large difference to our staff, since they can afford a small luxury like taking the kids for pizza or to the fun park. And now we are talking Germany, not even a third world country....

If you are so concerned about your staff, then why not pay them a decent salary? Why leave them at the mercy of guests tips?

:confused:

If you are so concerned about your staff, then why not pay them a decent salary? Why leave them at the mercy of guests tips?

:confused:

Because if they paid them more...they might have to lay off some of them?

Or worse...they might end up paying out more than they bring in and everyone loses their jobs.

ECON 101

On my last cruise the room Stewart said how much he enjoyed my singing in the bathroom while he was busy cleaning. So on the last day I left him a cd I had made of me performing. OMG the look on his face was priceless! He even gave me a big hug lol! I'm planning on bringing half a dozen cd's on my next cruise to reward some of the crew for their hard work. They all seem to be such music lovers.

Does anyone else have any great gift ideas?

AllI can say is, ``OMG,'' which seems to be your favorite phrase in explaining any cruise experience on these boards.

Have cruised 29 cruises over past 9 years on 5 different lines and can honestly say that I have never once heard of of seen any room steward who cleaned a room while a pax was in the shower. Room stewards always leave the room even if the pax just wants to enter the room to retrieve their sign & sail card, a camera or a piece of fluff from the pillow.

OMG, where or where does your imagination take you during your showers?

Dianne

(Sorry for the post above-wont let me edit) I am from Pittsburgh & on my recent cruise, we gave our room steward a Terrible Towel. (Maybe he was acting) but he seemed really excited & mentioned that he couldn't wait to send it home to his son. I think everyone's situation is different. While money is obviously the best (we did give him cash in addition to the Terrible Towel) I think sometimes something small can be appreciated too.

Because if they paid them more...they might have to lay off some of them?

Or worse...they might end up paying out more than they bring in and everyone loses their jobs.

ECON 101

I didn't meant "more", I am just suggesting "decent" :). and charge a "service fee" upfront to source that. That way the staff is not at the mercy of people like me. ;)

Archived