QM2 to New England/Canada?

JAMESCC

My wife and I always wanted to take a QM2 cruise just because the ship is so beautiful. It really is a gorgeous ship. We are not really big dress up people. I mean we get dressed up on our other cruises but not a tux type dress up. Is a tux type dress up a mandatory? Also what would the age be on the Sept. 3 New England/Canada cruise? We love the itinerary. Thanks for the help JC

There is just one formal night scheduled for the 25 October cruise. [don't know about the other two NE/Canada cruises]

I'm bringing a tux. [and two shirts] My wife is bringing [at least one] sparkly / dressy outfit. We hardly ever go to 'jacket required' places in real life - but for us it it part of the attraction on the cruise.

There is just one formal night scheduled for the 25 October cruise. [don't know about the other two NE/Canada cruises]

I'm bringing a tux. [and two shirts] My wife is bringing [at least one] sparkly / dressy outfit. We hardly ever go to 'jacket required' places in real life - but for us it it part of the attraction on the cruise.

Did Cunard tell you this was the dress code? A friend did this 7-day voyage last year and she told me there were 3 formal and 2 semi informal which surprised me since port days aren't usually formal.

We will look forward to meeting you, this is one of our voyages for this year, as yet I have not been told how many formal nights there are, we just returned from Norway and it was reduced from three nights to two nights

When I finished on the computer I called Cunard and was told: 3 formal, 2 semi informal and two elegant casual. But what shore-side tell you and what actually happens can vary. The documents should give a listing of the dress codes.

Did Cunard tell you this was the dress code? A friend did this 7-day voyage last year and she told me there were 3 formal and 2 semi informal which surprised me since port days aren't usually formal.

I really hope so! My Mom and I are on the 25th of October sailing and we are really looking forward to the formal nights!

Finally managed to download the pre voyage docs for the 25 OCT 10 NE çruise and here is what was in it for the dress code:

Date Location Duration Royal Night* Dress Code*

25 Oct New York Embark Elegant Casual

26 Oct Newport A Full Day Black & White Ball Formal

27 Oct Boston Full Day Formal

28 Oct Bar Harbor A Full Day Semi-Formal

29 Oct Saint John Full Day Semi-Formal

30 Oct Halifax, Full Day Formal

31 Oct At sea Elegant Casual

1 Nov New York Disembark - -

I'm all for Green but it would be nice to get this information through the post as it was before Mr Shanks....

Thanks for the responces but it just sounds too formal for me. I mean when you have a category above "Formal" thats too much for me. Gorgeous ship but I'm thinking not right for me. Thanks again JC

Hi James. I don't think there is any dress code above "Formal".:eek: And if you've read various threads, you know there is a workable solution for both men and women who are not comfortable with images shown on Cunard publicity photos of formal nights, or even the description given of formal nights given by some past passengers (me included). I admit to going overboard - pardon the expression- at times in my dress for a formal ball. But by no means is that the norm. The majority of passengers dress within the required code, and make for a lovely vignette.

All that is required is a dark suit for men, and (this is my personal opinion) a simple, elegant black dress or pant suit (no glitz or sparkles required) for women, whichever flatters her figure.

James, there is so much more to QM2 than the dress code. I sincerely hope that you will give her a chance. If you choose not to dress in formal attire (which I can understand), there are other things you can do on those nights---please ask for suggestions (I'm sure all of which will be acceptable in polite society):)

With regards,

Salacia

Also what would the age be on the Sept. 3 New England/Canada cruise? We love the itinerary. Thanks for the help JC

James, I've been suprised at the number of people who ask about the demographics on a voyage, but it seems to be an important question to many. But in answer to your question, from my limited experience on QM2 cruises to Canada, the age of passengers ranged from 6 months to 96 years of age.

Most were younger or older than I.:)

Salacia

Hi James. I don't think there is any dress code above "Formal".:eek: And if you've read various threads, you know there is a workable solution for both men and women who are not comfortable with images shown on Cunard publicity photos of formal nights, or even the description given of formal nights given by some past passengers (me included). I admit to going overboard - pardon the expression- at times in my dress for a formal ball. But by no means is that the norm. The majority of passengers dress within the required code, and make for a lovely vignette.

All that is required is a dark suit for men, and (this is my personal opinion) a simple, elegant black dress or pant suit (no glitz or sparkles required) for women, whichever flatters her figure.

James, there is so much more to QM2 than the dress code. I sincerely hope that you will give her a chance. If you choose not to dress in formal attire (which I can understand), there are other things you can do on those nights---please ask for suggestions (I'm sure all of which will be acceptable in polite society):)

With regards,

Salacia

I think the ship is amazing. She is beautiful,she is a throwback to the Oceanliners of the past and I love her for that. I've watched a few programs on the construction of her and I love the QM2. It just seems a bit more formal than I am used to or like. Maybe we'll go anyway cause I love the ports on this cruise to New England/Canada. Its still a possibility. We'll see. JC

I think the ship is amazing. She is beautiful,she is a throwback to the Oceanliners of the past and I love her for that. I've watched a few programs on the construction of her and I love the QM2. It just seems a bit more formal than I am used to or like. Maybe we'll go anyway cause I love the ports on this cruise to New England/Canada. Its still a possibility. We'll see. JC

James, I hope you do decide to try QM2. When you say "it seems more formal"...what do you mean? -Salacia

Meaning it seems more formal and strict formal than RCCL which is what we normally cruise. I mean saying "Tux or dark suit" is strict. I dress up on RCCL formal nights but they don't tell me what to wear. I'm not ripping Cunard,its just how they do things and I respect what they are doing and what they are going for. JC

Meaning it seems more formal and strict formal than RCCL which is what we normally cruise. I mean saying "Tux or dark suit" is strict. I dress up on RCCL formal nights but they don't tell me what to wear. I'm not ripping Cunard,its just how they do things and I respect what they are doing and what they are going for. JC

James, ok, I understand. I've never sailed on RCCL...what is the dress code there for formal nights? (Sorry my cruise experience is limited to QM2, but I am eager to learn about other ships.) Thanks, Salacia

What is "elegant formal"? That sounds like its above "formal".
I think you've misread. There is no "elegant formal" - only "elegant casual' which is a jacket, no tie.

We've stayed at Caribbean resorts where it's expected to change into nicer clothes for dinner - long trousers, collared shirt - and have found that it lends a nice feel to the evening. We're expecting the Cunard experience to be like that experience, just ramped up a bit.

RCCL formal is more like dress nice in a tie but we don't care what color your wearing. That's all. Its not real strict and I've never seen someone turned away but like I said its just different. Cunard is more old time ship travel rather than cruising. JC

When does the 3 Sep sailing dock in Bar Harbor? I want to drive down and see. I am on the 19 Oct sailing into NY and will return to BOS by train and drive to Bar Harbor to meet QM 2 on the 25th.I could not afford to stay on which would have been more fun.

James, ok, I understand. I've never sailed on RCCL...what is the dress code there for formal nights? (Sorry my cruise experience is limited to QM2, but I am eager to learn about other ships.) Thanks, Salacia

Hi Salacia,

We went to Bermuda on the Explorer of the Seas last year. A formal night is not at all like a formal night on a Cunard ship. I wore a gown and my husband wore his tux, but I believe we were the only ones dressed that way. Most of the passengers that were in the dining room put some effort into looking dressed up, but they seemed more semi-formally dressed by Cunard's standards. I heard a few people grumbling about how they didn't like to dress up; therefore, they were not going to the dining room at all. And I believe that is true. The dining rooms seemed only half full. For instance, our table for eight had only four people during the entire time. And many of the tables were like that. And yet the ship was full. It also appeared that the "formal night" only took place in the dining room, during the meal. There seemed no shipwide dress code after that.

We talked to a couple on our way home who were very disappointed that they were not allowed to dine in their bathing suits and didn't plan to go back on RCI, which they considered to be "way too fussy",--so, needless to say, RCI was too formal for them! As they say, different strokes for different folks.:)

Well don't get me wrong I don't mind getting dressed up for dinner on a cruise but when its over the top strict or rules involved I'm not too keen on that. As for someone thinking RCCL is too fussy that is just insane. They probably won't like any dining room on any ship even Carnival. As for wearing bathing suits to the dining room that just way over the top insane. I mean you have to have respect for the tradition. Those people need to cruise but only eat in the buffet thats all. That is why cruising is SO great,its something different for everyone. If you like going to the dining room then dress up a bit,if you don't like getting dressed up at all then hit the buffet every night. No shame in that. Me I just love the ships,the ships are the destination. The technological marvel that are modern day cruise ships just twists my mind. I check out ever aspect of the ships I sail on because they are beyond impressive. I try to take in every detail these ships have to offer. I suppose I am MUCH different from most cruisers that just want to have a good time. I want to have a good time but I more want to marvel at the ship itself. JC

James,

feeling as you do- you should go. We love it. People collectively tend to look formal on those evenings but there are variations. My husband wears a tux on formal nights but has a lighter coloured suit for the others.

I probably don't look as formal as some with my choice of dresses but I have never felt uncomfortable or out of place and to be honest I am sure no-one notices.

You are aware of what is acceptable from what you write - I would say just go for it.

The September 3rd trip is the middle part of our whole holiday and I am expecting that there will be a different atmosphere during that part. I don't know if there will or not but for us, as you say, the ship is the destination. We really enjoy it.:)

Finally managed to download the pre voyage docs for the 25 OCT 10 NE çruise and here is what was in it for the dress code:

Date Location Duration Royal Night* Dress Code*

25 Oct New York Embark Elegant Casual

26 Oct Newport A Full Day Black & White Ball Formal

27 Oct Boston Full Day Formal

28 Oct Bar Harbor A Full Day Semi-Formal

29 Oct Saint John Full Day Semi-Formal

30 Oct Halifax, Full Day Formal

31 Oct At sea Elegant Casual

1 Nov New York Disembark - -

I'm all for Green but it would be nice to get this information through the post as it was before Mr Shanks....

Thank you so much for posting this information. Now I can finish planning my wardrobe accordingly.

Archived