Bardo Mosaic Museum in Tunis

This looks like an amazing museum, but after googling for info. I am getting messages that it is currently under reconstruction and only a small part is open to the public (we are going to be there from Disney Magic 28 Aug. sailing).

Has anyone been there recently? Is it still worth a visit?

thanks for any info:)

I have read on other boards that most of the interior is being renovated. Some exhibits are viewable outside the museum. I don't know how long this renovation is scheduled to continue...

Doesn't sound like the best time to visit the Bardo, unfortunately.

I have been googling/researching this very thing for a few months now - the last time in Tunis we missed the Bardo 9closed for Ramadan) -

from all my gatherings, it seems about 1/5 of the museum is "open" - the rest is sectioned off/scaffolded/- most reviews said it was not worth the time or money to see what was still visible for public viewing --- also a lot of dust, cover-ups, and scaffolding takes away from the exhibits ---

I am opting to take Tunis as a "sea day" and relax on the ship.....

We were there last week, they did have some rooms closed and were working on them but my impression was it was just a few of the rooms. The way it is setup it is hard to tell how many might have been closed but in no way did we feel like we did not get our money and times worth, in fact I had not even thought about it until I read this post. No way would I believe only 20% of the rooms were open. We went through many rooms, I did not count but it must have been 18-20 filled with awesome mosaics. I would guess the rooms closed were less than 20% of the whole place but again, the layout makes it difficult for me to estimate. Also the rooms that were open were fully open, no dust or cover-ups.

I would try to get there early to beat the cruise ship tours, they really pack the rooms full and seem oblivious to the fact that everyone in the place might not be on there tour.

Kirk

Archived