Elevator at Acropolis?

Signdy

My 86-year-old father walks without assistance but tires quickly and has trouble with stairs. Will he be allowed to use the elevator at the Acropolis? I'm afraid after climbing the steps he'll be too tired to enjoy the sites!

He will need a note from his physician to use the elevator. There have been a number of posts on this board about using the elevator, including a photo (pretty scary looking operation....). If you use search, you may find additional helpful info.

However, it has been made pretty clear by others that some sort of note or official indication of disability is required.

Thanks for the replies. I've just discovered the Search feature that will help me look for other travelers' posts on the subject. And thanks for the advice, Keith1010...we'll be in Athens in mid-October, so the heat won't be such an issue.

We were there in October '08, and the elevator was broken down, so we climbed to the entrance, took a few photos and had to call it good. My 80 year old traveling companion could not do the climb to the top. It was warm, but not as hot as summer could be, but still required lots of drinking water. Just be careful and use common sense.

I just wanted to second Keith's comment to be cautious while walking around when you get to the top. The ground is extremely uneven with lots of rocks protruding at all angles. We saw a few people trip and fall. Wear decent walking shoes.

We saw the elevator ( not in action). That would be an adventure itself!

My 86-year-old father walks without assistance but tires quickly and has trouble with stairs. Will he be allowed to use the elevator at the Acropolis? I'm afraid after climbing the steps he'll be too tired to enjoy the sites!

I believe that one needs to be in a wheelchair to use the elevator. The steps are indeed quite slippery and your father should be really careful! You should take your time reaching the top so that your father won’t get too tired.

Take this for what it's worth - you know your father better than any of us so I'll give you my perspective for my dad - just turned 82. After suffering heart failure over 10 years ago and, as a result, his doctor has had him walk 2 miles a day each and every day since. Bad weather, he uses our treadmill inside and he never misses a day unless he is sick. Even so, I'd seriously think twice before taking him to this location, climb or no climb. Just as rough at the top as it was to get up there. As already mentioned, you'll find so many different terrain types up there (grass, gravel, marble, lots of uneven rocks sticking up, etc). Also saw a young woman probably 30ish take a bad fall at the top after she was able to climb up on her own.

This is a frequent topic on Trip Advisor. Here's todays post.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k3849209-Is_exploring_the_Acropolis_physically_demanding-Athens_Attica.html

The elevator is not for wheelchairs only so I'm sure you could get a note from your fathers dr. If it's something he really wants to do, it would be a shame not to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only are the steps slippery but some of the "flat" ground is rocks that are well worn from pedestrian traffic and they are very slippery. May able bodies people slip and some fall. Be sure he is wearing sturdy shoes or sneakers with non-slip soles (something rubbery or gummy or with treads, though boots are not needed). Folks, do not wear heels, sandals or flip-flops when touring these or any other ruins. I can't even say how many people we saw wearing sandals, flip-flops or even heels (ridiculous) on our various stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting to the part of town where the Acropolis is, is an adventure. Lots of loose cobblestones, narrow steps, an uphill climb just to reach the base of the site. (On the upside, there are several minor ruins that you pass on the way - just right there in the middle of neighborhoods!)

I was 43 and pretty fit, and I was wiped out by the time we reached the base of the Acropolis. I viewed the ruins from the bottom and toured the gift shop while my nimble nephew went up and down.

I don't know how others with wheelchairs could possibly make it to the site unless they were somehow dropped off right at the base!

Archived