Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Canaveral

trixietx

We are going on a Cruise December 12th. out of Ft. Lauderdale. We get off the ship on the 19th. and going on a family cruise out of Port Canaveral. We can't find a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando that would get us into Orlando early enough. Would it be best to just rent a car and drive, if so will we have enough time and where would be the closest car rental to where Allure of the Seas docks?

We already have both cruises booked.

We are going on a Cruise December 12th. out of Ft. Lauderdale. We get off the ship on the 19th. and going on a family cruise out of Port Canaveral. We can't find a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando that would get us into Orlando early enough. Would it be best to just rent a car and drive, if so will we have enough time and where would be the closest car rental to where Allure of the Seas docks?

We already have both cruises booked.

I believe the rental car agencies are all at the airport. About a 5-10 minute cab ride from the piers. Just book a one way rental car at FLL to Port Canveral. Avis or Hertz or Enterprise all have rental agencies in Port Canveral and all will take you from the agency drop off to the port.

Then go out of FLL onto I-95 North. It's about 195 miles. 3.5 hours. Take exit 205 Beachline Expressway/Rte 528, go right (east) to A1A and then to the agency office. They'll give you directions when you pick up the car.

Try to debark as soon as you can. But if you get off the ship between 8 and 9 you'll be getting on the other ship before 1 PM.

Did u check Melbourne, Florida? FLL-MLB. Melbourne is 20 miles south of Cape Canaveral.

Have you tried to do this lately? They send you up to Charlotte or Raliegh or Atlanta then back to Melbourne. I don't think there are any non-stops to MIA-Melbourne any more. I'm scheduling fall business travel in Florida and it is very difficult to find flights directly or timely between Florida cities, especially smaller Florida cities.

The car's not a bad idea and the drive isn't bad. I'd do a lot of it on the Turnpike though. Just take 595 west about a mile and connect with Florida's Turnpike North. I like the toll plazas for clean restrooms and good options for snacks.

I-95 can experience heavy traffic, especially up near West Palm Beach because of construction.

Take the turnpike up to Ft. Pierce, exit 152. The Turnpike practically intersects with I-95 at this point. Just get off the Turnpike and pick up I-95 North.

Happy Travels.

• 1 month later...
I'd do a lot of it on the Turnpike though.
Is there anywhere online that shows what the toll is at each of the toll plazas? I can find the total cost in a couple of places (though some differ by a few cents from each other! :)) but I can't find anywhere that says how much is taken off us at each payment point.

Or is the presence of live attendants so guaranteed at every payment point on this route that we don't have to worry about having enough quarters on us?

Archived