Trying to figure out what the best time would be..

ava_girl_123

To Skype from the ship to my Mother in law who will be back home with our children. I recall Mach saying something about late at night?

Anyone who has ever used Skype on the ship, can ya chime in about what were the best times? I am under the impression that the more people that may be on line while on the ship can ruin the clarity..

By the way, we leave on Sunday baby!! Whhhoooooa!!! :D

Ok I am done.. :o

why not text Gail? We have Verizon it's 50 cents to text (or .55) and .05 to receive. Then make a call in port to speak with the kids directly.

Don't worry they'll have their way with grandma, they all do:D

Kathy

And by the way have a blast

why not text Gail? We have Verizon it's 50 cents to text (or .55) and .05 to receive. Then make a call in port to speak with the kids directly.

Kathy

We texted also last year and it worked great! Of course the kids are going to be with Grandma and as much as they tell you they are going to miss you they also have a blast with Grandma and tend to forget!!;) My kids keep asking me how long until we cruise this year so NaNa can come and stay the week at our house!! They are so excited for that week to come...we are too!!!:p:D

My parents always watch my son for a week for us as our "Christmas present" so that we can get away by ourselves. Since my son is autistic, I'm crazy about keeping in touch with them! We finally figured out what will work best for us this cruise is texting.

However, I was concerned, because my parents don't text. And trying to teach them to text would be a nightmare lol. But, they do email. So, I figured out that they can "email" me a text... but I can text them back on my phone & they receive it in the form of an email. So, it's perfect (and cheap!) for us. With Verizon, it is only .05 for me to receive a text & .50 to send, so it's really the cheapest form of keeping in touch.

Then, in port, I just use my cell phone to call & check in. It does cost a little bit, but they know that I can only talk about 5 minutes! Just a quick "hi" and "how's the kid... any problems?" and we save our vacation stories till we get home lol.

Using Skype would be cool though! Just not sure if it's practical. The basic internet service on the ship is soooo slow at best, I can't imagine skyping.

I've heard of Skype being used successfully on the Dream. Just recently on someone's review, in fact. But I believe the Dream has a much faster connection (newer hardware probably) than all other ships. I don't know if the other ships have enough bandwidth to support a Skype call. When you board the ship you could go check out the internet cafe and check with the staff to see if they think Skype works - I bet you wouldn't be the first person that has asked them that.

I was wondering about this too, my husband and I are leaving our 6 month old daughter with the grandparents, shes not old enough to come with us and we booked the cruise a long time ago before we knew i was pregnant, so i was hoping to be able to skype!

Kathy

Yea, we will also text I think.. Need to show MIL how to though.. she doesn't text well but I know how to explain to her how to email me a text too..

Skype is probably not the best way to go for a number of reasons including that the connection on the ship is too slow for the video portion to ever run. Your best bet is going to be to call from port. If you want to try to skype do it at dinner time or between midnight and 9:00 a.m.

Archived