HAL's Retreat Cabanas vs Princess Sanctuary

DeRon

We were on the Ruby Princess last summer and experienced the Sanctuary. Sorry, never used the Retreat on Holland America. I am anxious to hear about others experiences and the daily charge for the Retreat. We are on a HAL ship in September for our first HAL experience. The Santuary on the Princess was $10 for session. Morning to noon was one session and the afternoon another so it was $20 per day per person if you chose to spend the whole day. We cruised during the summer months and the pools were overwhelmingly crowded so we did enjoy our time there but did not indulge everyday due to the cost. The Santuary only takes a certain number of reservations per session and they could only be made the day you were planning on being there. It meant getting up early and getting those spots....alot like the regular pool ....but much less crowded and noisy than the regular pool area. They had waiters making sure you had drinks and/or food. The music was not as loud as the regular pool area.

If anyone knows the fee and the booking policy for the HAL Retreat, please let me know...greatly appreciated.

Debbie

We booked the sanctuary for our entire 10-day cuise aboard the Caribbean Princess last year and it was fantastic. For that cruise we decided not to book a balcony and it worked out fine. We have already booked a retreat cabana for our Nov 6, 2010 Eurodam cruise and decided to book a inside and use the extra money for the cabana.

Joe

I found the answers to my questions. You gotta love the Cruise Critic members!

Check out this link. Keep scrolling for cabana and retreat info. Prices included with pictures of each area. These pictures are of the "Nieuw". But I would imagine the other ships are similar and similar pricing.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HA...m/index-2.html

I found the answers to my questions. You gotta love the Cruise Critic members!

Check out this link. Keep scrolling for cabana and retreat info. Prices included with pictures of each area. These pictures are of the "Nieuw". But I would imagine the other ships are similar and similar pricing.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HA...m/index-2.html

Could you please repost your link? It didn't work. TIA.

If anyone knows the fee and the booking policy for the HAL Retreat, please let me know...greatly appreciated.

Debbie

I'm a hugh fan of Princess' Sanctuary. I booked a Retreat Cabana for our next cruise on HAL Eurodam. The price for a 7-day cruise was $299 for a 2-person cabana. I will have to wait until December to actually compare the two, but a couple of things I do know. Currently HAL offers the Retreat Cabana's on just two ships; The Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam, while the Sanctuary is available nearly fleet wide on Princess. One thing I love about HAL's Retreat Cabanas is that you can book (And prepaid) them in advance. I don't know which one we are getting, but I don't have to worry that the Retreat will be sold out before I can get to the ship!

Could you please repost your link? It didn't work. TIA.

Try this one

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/Eurodam-Retreat-Cabana-2008.pdf

I see on the upper deck Retreat area there is an open space between the Cabanas. Does the same rate apply to sit on the lounge chairs there if it is not in a actual Cabana?

Thanks.....Bill ;)

Try this one

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/Eurodam-Retreat-Cabana-2008.pdf

I see on the upper deck Retreat area there is an open space between the Cabanas. Does the same rate apply to sit on the lounge chairs there if it is not in a actual Cabana?

Thanks.....Bill ;)

Those loungers are for the use of the guest who have rented a Cabana.

• 3 weeks later...
can I rent the cabana retreat for only the sea days? Also, on the Nieux Amsterdam, is the retreat at an adult. Only pool area?

No, there in no pool in this area.

I believe people rent by the week. There are not very many cabanas.

can I rent the cabana retreat for only the sea days? Also, on the Nieux Amsterdam, is the retreat at an adult. Only pool area?

Cabanas -- Retreat or otherwise -- can be pre-booked for the entire week (cruise).

But if you want to rent one for a sea day -- you can only do that once you are on the ship -- and you will get a choice of what is left -- if there are any choices.

The Retreat Cabanas are not near a pool.

The Cabanas on the Lifo Deck are near the Lido Pool -- family pool.

Thanks...great informtaion....if the Retreat Cabanas are not near a pool, what is the advantage? Is it worth the money?

The advantage is that it's a real retreat from the rest of the ship. It's quiet and private.

The Retreat isn't really that far from the Lido Pool. Just a straight shot down two decks and you're there.

Whether or not it's worth the money is in the eye of the beholder.

• 1 year later...

Good job of doing the search. There are a couple of better ones:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1533242&highlight=retreat+cabanas

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1585708&highlight=retreat+cabanas

In the first thread, the link in Post #6 is very helpful.

Yes, children are allowed in the family cabana. When were had a retreat cabana on N. Amsterdam, there were a couple of very well behaved children.

• 1 year later...

I have booked the Sanctuary on quite a few of my Princess Cruises and also booked a retreat cabana aboard the Eurodam. IMHO I like how the Sanctuary is planned and layed out. I also like the Adults only concept of the Sanctuary.

Of course I enjoyed the cabana and everything was fantastic on board the Eurodam, but for me the Sanctuary is far superior.

Archived