Princess' $15 water shuttle service in Venice

Hal&Rob

Thats fine! I'd rather purchase the Vaporetto Pass as close to the Cruise Terminal as possible and not on line. I'm well aware of the Venice Connected Card but would prefer purchasing the Vaporetto Pass in Venice. It doesn't matter if it costs me a few euro more.

Our first trip to Venice we bought the Venice Connect Card...didn't use it for anything other than the Vaporetto. Learnt our lesson the next time and only bought the Vaporetto pass.

Can we buy the 24 hour Vaporetto Pass at that particular vaporetto dock?

Yes, you could when we were there about 18 months ago. It is the main vaparetto dock for the parking garages. It was before the people mover so it was much more convenient for us - my husband has mobility issues. With the people mover, it sounds like it is just as easy to go to Piazzele Roma.

We are considering the advantages versus the cost of the Princess shuttle to St Mark's. Does it leave directly from the ship like a tender would? Or does one have to walk somewhere to catch it? If so, where does one get on the Pricess shuttle?

Thanks for the help. m--

We are considering the advantages versus the cost of the Princess shuttle to St Mark's. Does it leave directly from the ship like a tender would? Or does one have to walk somewhere to catch it? If so, where does one get on the Pricess shuttle?

Thanks for the help. m--

Honestly, it's such a nicer experience taking the vaporetto, it winds down the grand canal, it's one of the nicest sightseeing things you can do in Venice. The cruise line shuttles do not go down the Grand Canal, they go on the outside and it's just another tender ride.

Honestly, it's such a nicer experience taking the vaporetto, it winds down the grand canal, it's one of the nicest sightseeing things you can do in Venice. The cruise line shuttles do not go down the Grand Canal, they go on the outside and it's just another tender ride.

Yes, and agreed. We plan to be using the vaporettos the first two days we are in Venice. By then we will have had the Grand Canal experience but still may want to see some of the lesser sights.

We will be staying in Mestra Wednesday and Thursday and going into Venice from there and picking up the vaporettos easily. But on Friday we will board the ship and if the Princess shuttle is easier to get to than the vaporettos from the port, we might consider using them rather than making our way to P. Roma or other vaporetto stop. So this is why I'm wondering where the shuttles leave from. If they leave directly from the ship gangway like a tender does, it might be worth considering. Any info on where they leave from would help me plan how long a Vaporetto pass to buy from Venice Connected.

m--

When we used the Princess transfer, it was a vaporetto, just not the one that takes the Grand Canal (which I agree is a must experience).

Back in 2008, they left from just around the harbour from where the ship is docked...it's kind of a U shape with the ship on one side and the shuttles on the other...really not much of a walk.

Depends on where on the harbour the ship docks. When we were there, the vaporetto was just behind the Princess ship, maybe 50 feet behind it.

Yes, you could when we were there about 18 months ago. It is the main vaparetto dock for the parking garages. It was before the people mover so it was much more convenient for us - my husband has mobility issues. With the people mover, it sounds like it is just as easy to go to Piazzele Roma.

Thanks for answering my question.

As Caribill has posted, it depends on where your cruise docks. It is not directly from the gangway -- say 150 feet to 600 feet from the gangway. The shuttles run about every half hour. Buying the Vaporetto Pass on-line is not much of an advantage. One advantage of the shuttle is that it runs upto 11:00 pm and drops you near the ship -- so it feels safer at night. And your co-riders are all cruise pax. But one has to make one's way back to San Marco to catch it. The People Mover "may" have made it feel safer now. I would not have liked to walk from P.Roma to Pier at night. A cab from P. Roma to Pier is about 10 € but I am always uneasy using a cab at night in an unfamiliar place. Last time on disembarkation even the cab driver in FLL tried to go around the airport more than once -- when I got mad he stopped the meter going around the 2nd time! He mistook us for "foreign" tourist.

But on Friday we will board the ship and if the Princess shuttle is easier to get to than the vaporettos from the port, we might consider using them rather than making our way to P. Roma or other vaporetto stop. So this is why I'm wondering where the shuttles leave from. If they leave directly from the ship gangway like a tender does, it might be worth considering. Any info on where they leave from would help me plan how long a Vaporetto pass to buy from Venice Connected.

m--

• 2 weeks later...
The $15 water shuttle ticket is good for unlimited trips. It's a good deal!:) You can come and go as you please. The ticket will be in your cabin when you get there and the cost is automatically added to your onboard account. If, for some reason, you don't want to use the shuttle, you can turn in your ticket at the purser's desk and get a refund.

We are cruising Europe for the first time - Star Princess from Venice to Rome. We arrive in Venice a couple days early and were wondering if anyone knows if the Motorlaunch Service that Princess offers to and from Marittima Station berth to Riva degli Schiavoni is available on Embarkation Day? (It is mentioned in the port guide for Venice that you can get off the Princess website.) We would like to use it to go from our hotel to the port with our luggage.

We are cruising Europe for the first time - Star Princess from Venice to Rome. We arrive in Venice a couple days early and were wondering if anyone knows if the Motorlaunch Service that Princess offers to and from Marittima Station berth to Riva degli Schiavoni is available on Embarkation Day? (It is mentioned in the port guide for Venice that you can get off the Princess website.) We would like to use it to go from our hotel to the port with our luggage.

a) It has been posted that luggage is not permitted on this service

b) You would not have the ticket until you have reached your cabin.

Best bet is to take a vaperetto (can bring your luggage on it) to Piazza Roma and then use the "People Mover" to get to the port.

Archived