Eating fresh, local, organic and healthy

RachieLnnn

Hi all,

In our pursuit of eating the very best that we can to fuel our bodies and lose weight, we have started trying to eat more produce, especially that which is local and in season. We have also started buying organic or grass-fed meats, and always organic milk and cheese that is from cows that were not treated with any growth hormones.

After watching some documentaries about the food industry and all the additives/HFCS/preservatives that go into processed food, it really made us start thinking about the food that we eat and all the extra grabage that can come with processed food. None of that seems as appetizing to us anymore.

Not that we are perfect by any means... we all want some chicken nuggets now and then. ;) But I would say that 90% of the time, we cook at home and with fresh nutritious ingredients. We joined a CSA this summer (community-supported agriculture) and would encourage others to do the same. It's really fun! Every week we get a box of fresh veggies/fruit, whatever is in season. This week, we got purslane, among other things, which I have never tried before. Some people call it a weed, but I googled it, and it is one of the only plant sources with lots of Omega 3's! Who knew?

Not only is it important to us to support local farmers instead of the huge corporations that do a lot of the farming in the U.S., but we are also getting less pesticides and more nutrition into our diets. And I do think it is making a difference in our health, energy levels, and weight loss.

Are any of your also trying this approach? I do see some threads about no sugar/less carbs, but what about just fresh healthy food, home made whole-grain bread, etc?

I thought maybe we could share some recipes/tricks/tips on this thread. For example, last night I made tacos with lots of extra veggies. I browned up some grass-fed beef, and took it out of the pan and sautéed some onion, green pepper, and carrot (had one left over :o) in the leftover fat. Then I added some organic rinsed and drained black beans, let them cook for awhile, and smashed them up with a potato masher. Finally I added half the meat back in, saving the other half to add to marinara another time (with of course more vegetables). The taco shells were the only thing kind of processed, but they were organic taco shells from Trader Joe's. We topped them with fresh salsa made from local tomatos and sweet corn, and a smear of avocado smashed up with garlic, salt, pepper, and lime juice. A very tasty and easy dinner, and I know we got a lot of fiber and protein from the beans, and vitamins, etc. from the vegetables.

Anyway, if you are like-minded or just remember eating fresh from the farm food and how good and healthy it was, please feel free to post!

Well, fortunately I was raised in a country that promoted that..not so much "organic" but eating a lot of fruits and vegetables daily. My problem became being introduced to "box" food or convenience food. Now, that I've been back on the approach I was raised with, I can't stand to eat out or eat anything out of a box. It's a whole lot cheaper than eating out too plus I just pack my lunch from leftovers, etc.

I eat a lot of ethnic dishes..mostly south american...but I also cook alot of East and West Indian food which features a lot of lentils, beans, etc. i've learned how to make good sauces, etc. out of spinach and other greens and herbs, etc.

I think it's the diet industry that are making people fatter. I like sweets but would rather make a cake from scratch and have a little piece than eat a twinkie or something...

Hi all,

In our pursuit of eating the very best that we can to fuel our bodies and lose weight, we have started trying to eat more produce, especially that which is local and in season. We have also started buying organic or grass-fed meats, and always organic milk and cheese that is from cows that were not treated with any growth hormones.

After watching some documentaries about the food industry and all the additives/HFCS/preservatives that go into processed food, it really made us start thinking about the food that we eat and all the extra grabage that can come with processed food. None of that seems as appetizing to us anymore.

Not that we are perfect by any means... we all want some chicken nuggets now and then. ;) But I would say that 90% of the time, we cook at home and with fresh nutritious ingredients. We joined a CSA this summer (community-supported agriculture) and would encourage others to do the same. It's really fun! Every week we get a box of fresh veggies/fruit, whatever is in season. This week, we got purslane, among other things, which I have never tried before. Some people call it a weed, but I googled it, and it is one of the only plant sources with lots of Omega 3's! Who knew?

Not only is it important to us to support local farmers instead of the huge corporations that do a lot of the farming in the U.S., but we are also getting less pesticides and more nutrition into our diets. And I do think it is making a difference in our health, energy levels, and weight loss.

Are any of your also trying this approach? I do see some threads about no sugar/less carbs, but what about just fresh healthy food, home made whole-grain bread, etc?

I thought maybe we could share some recipes/tricks/tips on this thread. For example, last night I made tacos with lots of extra veggies. I browned up some grass-fed beef, and took it out of the pan and sautéed some onion, green pepper, and carrot (had one left over :o) in the leftover fat. Then I added some organic rinsed and drained black beans, let them cook for awhile, and smashed them up with a potato masher. Finally I added half the meat back in, saving the other half to add to marinara another time (with of course more vegetables). The taco shells were the only thing kind of processed, but they were organic taco shells from Trader Joe's. We topped them with fresh salsa made from local tomatos and sweet corn, and a smear of avocado smashed up with garlic, salt, pepper, and lime juice. A very tasty and easy dinner, and I know we got a lot of fiber and protein from the beans, and vitamins, etc. from the vegetables.

Anyway, if you are like-minded or just remember eating fresh from the farm food and how good and healthy it was, please feel free to post!

I'm going to add that if you can find an egg supplier you'll love fresh eggs. I get mine from a friend. They taste so much better. The yolks have more color so if you bake with them or even make pancakes (whole wheat) they have a nice color. On the pancakes, my DH thought they'd be gross but now their his favorite kind. A nice treat on a weekend, through in some fresh blueberries and their great!

Enjoy the bounty of summer!

Kelly

Oh yes..and the eggs are so fluffy too when you cook them! I find I can scramble one egg and be full, instead of 2 "conventional" eggs.

I just came from our local farmers market here..got a whole watermelon for $2.00, cucumbers 3/1.00, local avacados 2/1.00, Plaintains 3/1.00corn 5/1.00 and they had a lot of nice things. I like to buy the chickens from Whole Foods..they do NOT shrink at all when you cook them, esp. the wings.

I found a recipe for a watermelon glaze to use on grilled chicken. I am using the watermelon for that, also like to freeze it in chunks and eat it like icecream..also making a nice juice out of it with fresh limes.

I am going to bake one of the plaintains in the skin and slice to eat with the chickens..by the end of the week the other 2 will be nice and dark and I'm going to "splurge" and make fried plaintains for breakfast one day.

I live alone (for the most part!:D )but by buying local produce, along with a little chicken, I can eat for around 10.00 per week..YEP..I also buy a pack of chickpeas for around .69..cook them in the pressure cooker, save some for salads, and the rest I make homemade hummus. Tahini paste isn't cheap, around 4.99 per can, but a can lasts through about 8 batches of homemade hummus so it's still a good deal, plus you can flavor the hummus anyway you want. Kidney beans: I do the same, in the pressure cooker..save the rest for salads, wraps, and Jamaican rice n'peas (made with brown rice bought in bulk, fresh thyme, and a little creamed coconut)

I have to agree with the eggs. we have chickens and they really do earn their keep. We rarely shop for meat at conventional stores, check your local farm markets or farms. You will save money in the long run.:)

I go every Saturday to a local farmer's market, everything is Organic - a little more expensive than the local grocery store, but fresh and I really love it. Today I got four different types of lettuce, green beans, wax beans, a pole bean, speghetti squash, corn. I'm growing my own tomatoes and have an herb garden. I love spending my Saturday morning looking at vegetables and deciding what to cook for the week. Jan

Ahhh, and the nut butters. I have been eating fresh-ground natural organic peanut, almond and cashew butters for a while now. So good. I actually can't stand the "regular" kind now; it's far too sweet and is missing what I love about the natural ones, that they simply taste like the nut they are made from and nothing else.

Thanks for the tips on the eggs- I will have to see if I can find a reliable supplier, especially since on occasion I do make things with barely cooked or uncooked egg (caesar salad, hollandaise, carbonara). The fresher the better for things like that.

OH my..yes..cashew!! When I am at my other digs in Jamaica there are cashew trees growing...they even make a lovely juice out of the cashews, we have that in Brazil also.

There is a gigantic market here run by a hispanic family, but it's the size of a conventional grocery store..it's stocked with foods, meats, veggies native to South America, Caribbean, and Asia..the guy is a marketing genuis to have such a store as it's packed. I found "gargantuan" size grapefruits from Asian trees that were .50 each, and other goodies. Bought some organic chicken thighs for 1.29 lb..this place is a real treasure for us, but here in FLA we have access to alot of these kinds of places.

Here is one of my FAVORITE cucumber salad recipes:

Korean Cucumbers:

2 1/2 lbs kirby cucumbers (small pickling kind) or korean cucumbers. You can also use seedless ones.

1 2/3 tablespons coarse salt

2 1/2 teaspoon RED PEPPER POWDER

2 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic

2 1/2 teaspoon seasame oil

3 1/3 teaspoons white vinegar

1 2/3 tablespoons rice vinegar

3 1/2 teaspoons sugar

Slice cucumbers, thin, sprinkle with the salt and let sit 10 minutes to release the water.

Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Rinse salt from cucumbers. Squeeze water from cucumbers and toss. Serve chilled.

This makes 10 servings, but you can scale it back accordingly. You could probably try splenda but I don't know how it would taste. A teaspoon of sugar is like 20 calories so I think this is minimal and you're talking about 60 calories spread out over 10 servings.

It has a distincitly asian taste..sweet and hot..but I eat this all week and love it.

Ahhh, and the nut butters. I have been eating fresh-ground natural organic peanut, almond and cashew butters for a while now. So good. I actually can't stand the "regular" kind now; it's far too sweet and is missing what I love about the natural ones, that they simply taste like the nut they are made from and nothing else.

Thanks for the tips on the eggs- I will have to see if I can find a reliable supplier, especially since on occasion I do make things with barely cooked or uncooked egg (caesar salad, hollandaise, carbonara). The fresher the better for things like that.

Oh yes, I love that too..I love fresh herbs esp when making homemade spaghetti sauce!

I go every Saturday to a local farmer's market, everything is Organic - a little more expensive than the local grocery store, but fresh and I really love it. Today I got four different types of lettuce, green beans, wax beans, a pole bean, speghetti squash, corn. I'm growing my own tomatoes and have an herb garden. I love spending my Saturday morning looking at vegetables and deciding what to cook for the week. Jan

I haven't been to a farmers market before but would actually really like to go...I just haven't seen one around here that does it on Saturdays because the weekends are my only time off for me to go. My parents started just a small garden this year and with the weather being as good as it has been, everything grew really fast and we were really excited about it because it's the first vegtable garden we have had.

We don't have our own chickens but a family friend has a farm down the road from us and we could probably get some fresh eggs from her. She does eat her own pigs, cows and makes cheese..etc from her goats. I must be honest I get a little weird when she brings it over because I have seen them when they were alive. lol

Now that I have my own place I can get the things I want and I'm finding it is cheaper to make it myself and freeze it or do whatever else with it.

I recently talked to a man that has been in the health field for years and said that goat's milk was actually a lot better for humans then cow's milk..anyone use goat's milk or the powder? We were thinking of trying it.

I have not had goat's milk but I love goat cheese! :D

I would like to get some eggs. The person we have our CSA through (community supported-agriculture) has eggs, and you can get a dozen every week or every other week. I might have to sign up for that next summer. In the meantime, I just get free range eggs from the store.

Gathina I know exactly what you mean about preferring to bake something "real" than having fake diet food treats. This weekend I made blueberry muffins. It was a recipe that included oats and orange juice and the flavor was great. I would rather use a little bit of real organic butter in my baking than lots of processed food. I'm impressed at your food budget though!!! We usually spend about $50 a week for the two fo us, but we live in a large city so things can get expensive. I'm sure I could pare the budget down, but I like to have lots of variety.

I have lots of fresh tomatoes so I'm thinking of making some marinara tonight. I've already done a fresh salsa and a caprese salad. I need to use them up. The season is so fleeting but fresh tomatoes are really just the best. :)

I think things are kind of pricey in FL, but again, I'm resourceful. I think in your city if you look in some of the ethnic markets you might find some deals. I like to cook a lot of ethnic dishes..the major investment is usually the spices (like for making Indian food)..but hey, with a .60 bag of chickpeas, I can make a few batches of hummus, a vegan type of burger, and then have some for salads. I made a Lebanese "meatloaf" which is simlar to our Brazilain "kibe"..bulgar wheat made with a little ground beef and seasonings. I made Japanese pizza ("okonomiyaki") with eggs, wheat flour, green onions, cabbage and pankollthat was dirt cheap to make and tasty too.

I am travling to Italy and Croatia at the end of the week..so of course cant' wait to see what local fresh things I can find there.

I have not had goat's milk but I love goat cheese! :D

I would like to get some eggs. The person we have our CSA through (community supported-agriculture) has eggs, and you can get a dozen every week or every other week. I might have to sign up for that next summer. In the meantime, I just get free range eggs from the store.

Gathina I know exactly what you mean about preferring to bake something "real" than having fake diet food treats. This weekend I made blueberry muffins. It was a recipe that included oats and orange juice and the flavor was great. I would rather use a little bit of real organic butter in my baking than lots of processed food. I'm impressed at your food budget though!!! We usually spend about $50 a week for the two fo us, but we live in a large city so things can get expensive. I'm sure I could pare the budget down, but I like to have lots of variety.

I have lots of fresh tomatoes so I'm thinking of making some marinara tonight. I've already done a fresh salsa and a caprese salad. I need to use them up. The season is so fleeting but fresh tomatoes are really just the best. :)

Hi everyone and Kelly, not surprised to see you here too!

I've been shopping organic for most of my fruits and veggies as well as buying meat without hormones since I found I was in Menopause a few years ago. I have to say, it really saved me during that transition.

I love some of these ideas and recipes that you've shared and really interested in the watermelon ideas!

Tonight I made a lentil, quinoa and chicked dish with some Morrocan flavors. It turned out pretty good! I have, in the last 3 weeks eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet for the time being. I have to say the changes in my skin, sleeping, mental acuity and losing the feeling of bloated has been noticeable.

an easy watermelon salsa is to chop up a jalapeno and mix it with watermelon, a little garlic salt, lots of chopped garlic, fresh cilantro and lots of lime juice...its called "fire and ice" dip...you can serve it with the lime tortilla chips, or the baked blue corn ones (good for gluten free)

Hi everyone and Kelly, not surprised to see you here too!

I've been shopping organic for most of my fruits and veggies as well as buying meat without hormones since I found I was in Menopause a few years ago. I have to say, it really saved me during that transition.

I love some of these ideas and recipes that you've shared and really interested in the watermelon ideas!

Tonight I made a lentil, quinoa and chicked dish with some Morrocan flavors. It turned out pretty good! I have, in the last 3 weeks eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet for the time being. I have to say the changes in my skin, sleeping, mental acuity and losing the feeling of bloated has been noticeable.

We have been trying to do this as well, but mostly still use the grocery store. Our grocery store has lots of local produce, and I try to use that if possible. Our farmer's markets here in San Antonio seem to be a lot more than the store. Once the summer heat is dying down, I think we'll give them a try again! Costco has lots of organic produce, but it's not local.

I am not perfect at all, but still continue to try to eat healthier! I love Jillian Michael's cookbook and her Master your Metabolism book.

an easy watermelon salsa is to chop up a jalapeno and mix it with watermelon, a little garlic salt, lots of chopped garlic, fresh cilantro and lots of lime juice...its called "fire and ice" dip...you can serve it with the lime tortilla chips, or the baked blue corn ones (good for gluten free)

That sounds absolutely delish! I have had something similar w/ mangoes, but haven't tried the watermelon...I do currently have cubed cantaloupe in the fridge, so I just may have to experiment!

I certainly agree w/ all the comments..it is so true that you are what you eat...I do try to keep the sugars/gluten things out or at least to a minimum, & feel so much better!

Oh, I wanted to add...the ironic thing is that DH & I raise cattle - currently have about 50 head or so, but we don't eat them...nope, off to market they go, then we go to the supermarket & buy our beef...durrr, where is the logic in that (grass fed too, no hormones)...the thing is it is very expensive to dress out your own beef here & you probably need to go in halves, etc, etc...something we just may have to do in the near future, tho!

We do have fresh caught fish in the freezer, wild pigs abound in this area too, so that is a staple also, as well as deer during that season. I have a farmer friend who keeps us provided with fresh fruits & veggies during the summer, plus another with eggs - wish everyone could eat like that!:p

I love this salsa! the watermelon and cilantro are so good together! Nice presentation with the blue corn chips.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelley, glad to hear it!

I am writing from Italy...I've been here for 1 week, 1 more to go....doing some work...and staying in a lovely apt. overlooking the Dolmaite mountains...oh my..the food here is to die for..but so fresh! I've had every kind of pizza imaginable..even fish and arugula pizza! The tomatoes..I have no clue what they do to make them so wonderful..tonite had pumpkin gnocchi and grilled salmon with shallots and a balsamic honey glaze. I havent been tempted by much of the dolces, but am walking a lot. Am getting lots of great cooking ideas, too! I have actually LOST weight!

I'll check back later...

I love this salsa! the watermelon and cilantro are so good together! Nice presentation with the blue corn chips.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

Great post!! I agree completely

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful thread! Well done! I too am very conscious of what dh and I eat... about 5 years ago I stopped to actually think about the foods we were eating, began to do some research (how did we ever live without the internet! :p) and since then, we stopped eating process foods. The only thing we eat out of a box in my Shredded Wheat in the morning. I stay away from white breads and get really creative in the kitchen (where I love to be!).

5 - 6 days a week I make a smoothie for dh and I... fresh local/organic fruits with a carrot and some raw Kale, broccoli, or dandilion leaves (great stuff!!) mixed in.

Breakfasts are either a smoothie, Shredded Wheat or slow cooked Oatmeal.

Lunches are fun... variety of salads, lettuce wraps, homemade burritos, etc.

Dinners are very traditional... meat with a side of fresh cooked veggies and some grains or starch (quinoa, brown rice, lentils, yams, etc).

Someone earlier stated that they think the diet industry is making people fat... I beleive that's a correct statement because it's not teaching people HOW to eat, it's just stay what to eat. If people only knew that eating healthy is cheaper, delicious and easy then we wouldn't have such an obese population.

Now, I'm not a saint... I do crave french fries every couple of weeks and sometimes fry up my chicken instead of baking it. We have to occasionally give into our cravings or they will control us.

Oh and water... drink a lot of water! :D

My rule is colour... I make sure my plate is always very colourful. If you'll notice unhealthy foods are usually grey/pasty brown.

One of my tricks that I like to share.... I love rye bread, instead of butter, I spread avocado on it. It's so delicious!

Interesting how when you get used to not eating food from restaurants, boxes, etc. your tastebuds change and then it's really not about weight loss, it's about doing what you are supposed to be doing.

I ran in a half marathon this Sat. at Disney world..my first..we had a pre-race party at the hotel, although the food "looked" healthy...scrambled eggs, green salad whole grain breads, turkey sausages, broiled chicken breasts and wheat pasta with marinara..all of it made me SICK. Too much seasonings, heavy dressings to add to the foods (which I dont like anyway). It never ceases to amaze me how you can take perfectly natural food and still "kill it"! Even at Fridays where we ate one evening the "healthy" menu still tasted disugsting to me.

A couple of new things I made over the last two weeks: a tapenade with walnuts, lemon juice, and olives and a few herbs; and Italian tuna..you can buy tuna packed in olive oil..and that had in it some herbs, pureed white kindey beans, red onions, and a mustard-like vinagrette to glue it together...it was awesome and the perfect carb/protein ration. I ate it on little crostinis and it was so filling i only really needed like two tablespoons. I also made a carrot soup that had fennel in it..yum

• 8 months later...

I think this thread. :)

It's blackberry and peach season here in SE Texas. Thinking about heading out to a pick your own farm this weekend. If I have ever been to one of these, I was a child and can't remember the experience.

Thinking about getting into freezing/canning. We'll see. Anyone do this to extend the life of local/fresh into the off seasons? Nothing better than fruit pie, but it is seriously TOO HOT to turn on the oven NOW. ;)

If you aren't aware, you can use this website:

http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm

to find a place near you.

is the simplest thing to do. Just make sure the fruit is washed well, especially if u-pick strawberries make sure to rinse off dirt, prepare the fruit in the same way you would to eat.. for example make sue blueberries have the little stem bit removed, strawberries are culled, etc.... just spread the fruit on a flat pan that is freezer-capable... put into the freezer in that single layer... freeze... transfer from the sheet pan to your freezer container. EZ. You need to layer the fruit in a single layer because you don't want to have the fruit freeze into a large... for want of a better word... glob.

I have found that you can just add frozen blueberries to a serving of warm oatmeal. Yes, the juice leaks from the blueberries immediately after you add them and begin to stir. But, the warmth of the oatmeal will literally unfreeze the berries and make them wonderful to eat. You can add frozen blueberries to any muffin dough, as well.

I can't cite any sources at the moment, but I know that there is information saying that frozen fruit retains a huge amount of its nutritional properties; i.e., blueberries are still their wonderful antioxidant selves when frozen.

Anyway, FYI. Although you people on this thread seem to know a huge amount about organics and produce so you may not need this information. I just wanted to stop by. :D

Archived