Do my friends need passport?

lephysteria

Hi everyone,

I have a passport, but many of my mommy friends do not. We are all sailing together on Jan 28, 2011.

Will my mommy friends need passports to sail?

The only requirement now, and for the foreseeable future, is an original birth certificate or a certified copy and a government issued photo ID, such as a driver's license...

:)

I am sure that others will come along and tell you that if you have to fly home you will need a passport, blah, blah, blah but that's not an answer to your question... Bottom line... no passport is required on a closed loop cruise... one that departs from and returns to the same port in the US.

The only requirement now, and for the foreseeable future, is an original birth certificate or a certified copy and a government issued photo ID, such as a driver's license...

I am sure that others will come along and tell you that if you have to fly home you will need a passport, blah, blah, blah but that's not an answer to your question... Bottom line... no passport is required on a closed loop cruise... one that departs from and returns to the same port in the US.

It ain't "Blah, Blah, Blah" when it happens.

To OP: Your best source of passport info is the U.S. State Department:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

It ain't "Blah, Blah, Blah" when it happens.

To OP: Your best source of passport info is the U.S. State Department:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

The OP asked a simple factual question. Host Mach answered it and anticipated all of the blah blah blah that happens whenever this question is asked.

It is blah blah blah when people throw their opinion about the advantages of having a passport over the requirements of the law.

OP no passports needed.

To OP: Your best source of passport info is the U.S. State Department...
You are correct that this is the best source for information about GETTING a passport. But the best source for information about USING one comes from the DHS: http://www.getyouhome.gov

And I have to say I agree with Mach, while all the 'in case of emergency' warnings are well-meant, they are still just opinions and advice. They should be evaluated in balance with the thousands of people who cruise every week with just a BC and ID and don't have to fly home in an emergency.

And I often wonder, how many of the people who advocate getting a passport 'just in case' also do these things 'just in case':

-Purchase an umbrella liability policy with their insurance

-Go to the doctor for a full annual physical with all the suggested lab tests

-Check the oil level and tire pressure in their car every week

-Eat the full amount of fiber in their diets every day and limit the fats to the recommended 20%

Each of these can have expensive and disastrous consequences if not followed, too. They are all a personal choice, which should be made in an adult and informed manner, but it is still a choice. ;)

LOL, no we are just sailing to exotic ensenada!

Exotic Ensenada???? LOL We will be taking a quick trip there in 13 days. I just love booking and leaving the same month. It helps to live close to the port. We just couldn't wait til Nov...had to throw in a quickie!!!

LOL, no we are just sailing to exotic ensenada!

Exotic Ensenada???? LOL We will be taking a quick trip there in 13 days. I just love booking and leaving the same month. It helps to live close to the port. We just couldn't wait til Nov...had to throw in a quickie!!!

Exotic . . . that is hilarious. :)

My last cruise in October was with my son to "exotic Ensenada" . . . LOL. I booked the cruise last minute (3 days before) and, although I have always cruised 7 days or more, this little 3 day venture with him was great fun. You'll have a great time I'm sure. :D

Thank you, everyone, for the additional information. It has always been a dream of mine to start a passport debate thread here on CC. :p

We won't be flying, because basically our group is made up of mommies from our local playgroup. We all live near Temecula, French Valley, Winchester, which is about an hour and a half from Long Beach.

Some of the cheaper mommies in the group have expressed their displeasure with spending more money than absolutely necessary with regard to this trip. They are thinking, “Ugh, so its $300 for the cruise and then ANOTHER $100 on top of that for a passport” …. :rolleyes: Yeah I don’t get it either

Archived