Birth Certificate

madge57

If you ever missed the ship, you would have a hard time getting home without a passport.

If you ever decided totravel other than on a closed loop Caribbean cruise you would need a passport.

US regulations are likely to soon require passports even for closed loop cruises.

The reluctance of people toobtain passports is hard to comprehend.

No, there are no pending regulatory changes that would require passports for closed loop cruises. Any changes to the rules would likely take years to implement. The current rules took about 7 years to put in place.

why would you go on 7 cruises without a passport?????????????

i guess you do not have to fly to the pier. just hope nothing happens that you must fly home from one of the islands..if you do , you are up the creek without a paddle. invest in a passport. they are only $100 and are good for 10 years. that's $10 per year to be safe....

Domestic air travel doesn't require a passport. You can fly anywhere in the US with ID such as a drivers license.

If you ever missed the ship, you would have a hard time getting home without a passport.

If you ever decided totravel other than on a closed loop Caribbean cruise you would need a passport.

US regulations are likely to soon require passports even for closed loop cruises.

I will not miss the ship as rarely do I even do excursions~

IF I take a cruise that requires me to have a passport THEN I will get one~

Eventually they may require that and then I will get a passport, but it probably won't happen soon~

why would you go on 7 cruises without a passport?????????????

i guess you do not have to fly to the pier. just hope nothing happens that you must fly home from one of the islands..if you do , you are up the creek without a paddle. invest in a passport. they are only $100 and are good for 10 years. that's $10 per year to be safe....

Why would I go on 7 cruises without a passport?~~ Because I can~ I have the necessary paperwork that allows me to go on the cruises I want to go on~ And yes I do drive to all ports~ husband and I do not fly~! Besides my not having a passport is really no ones business other than my own~ so I'm not sure why you seem to be so offended by it? Sounds like you need a cruise~;)

I almost can understand taking one closed loop cruise using a birth certificate. . . . but cannot imagine seven. In addition to all the other reasons mentioned, without a passport you are limiting your travels. There is a whole world out there -- why only go to the Carribean and Mexico?

My husband and I do not fly so all our cruises will be closed loop so a passport is not required at this time~

Closed loop Mexican Riviera cruises do not need a passport.

My husband and I do not fly so all our cruises will be closed loop so a passport is not required at this time~

I'm sure you have considered the possibility of an emergency which required you to leave the cruise early and fly home. If you positively will not fly, it is a risk to cruise.

While the probability is low, people do have accidents, break bones, become ill etc and in that event, a passport is required. Imagine being taken off a ship ill to a Caribbean island and in addition to coping with that and the fact you and DH don't fly, you would also have to deal with the fact you have to get an emergency passport in order to get back to the States for treatment.

I certainly hope no one here ever has to cope with any accident/illness while cruising.

I'm sure you have considered the possibility of an emergency which required you to leave the cruise early and fly home. If you positively will not fly, it is a risk to cruise.

While the probability is low, people do have accidents, break bones, become ill etc I certainly hope no one here ever has to cope with such a situation.

Yes I have considered those possibilities~ and so far none of those things have happened~not saying they never will but for now I'm fine with my decision to travel without a passport as is the cruiseline~ and I do not see it as a risk to cruise without flying~

Make sure the name on the reservation is the same as the name on the birth certificate. If a lady has gotten married and brings a birth certificate, she also has to bring a marriage certificate if the reservation was made in her married name.

The cruise should be booked in the name on her official ID, regardless of what name is on the birth certificate. Some check-in agents, notably RCCL have been increasingly asking for the bridge documents, but it is not required by the government. Proof of name change had to be made to obtain the government-issued ID, even passport applications don't ask for marriage licenses. But booking in the BC name, without an ID in that name, is a sure way to be denied boarding.

The cruise should be booked in the name on her official ID, regardless of what name is on the birth certificate. Some check-in agents, notably RCCL have been increasingly asking for the bridge documents, but it is not required by the government. Proof of name change had to be made to obtain the government-issued ID, even passport applications don't ask for marriage licenses. But booking in the BC name, without an ID in that name, is a sure way to be denied boarding.

Actually, the Passport Agency specifically states that they can require additional documentation to verify identity. This can include a copy of a marriage certificate or other bridge document. As well, immigration agents at various ports/countries can require such documentation. They usually don't, but the point is that they can. Other countries can require additional documents if they choose to do so. That's why I always recommend people bring any bridge documents that might be required, just in case.

Of course a passport takes care of any problems, but not everyone wants to invest in one. While we wouldn't dream of being without one and don't understand the reluctance, I've decided to not pester others about it.

beachchick

I have been on 5 cruises with 3 different cruise lines, always use my small birth cert. and NEVER had an issue! My husband even had an expired drivers license on the last cruise (that he wasnt aware of till the airport security informed him):eek: and he had very little problem!:)

Wow phish lighten up a little!! Why did you go off because they don't want to get a passport?? thats their buisness not yours. I told them about the possiblities of getting hurt or missing the ship but they want to do it this way and thats their choice!!! Maybe if they cruise more then they will get a passport but since this is their first why bother they may not like it and they don't fly out of country so whats the point of getting one?? On the lighter side is phish tales because of a band or the kind of music or just a fancy way to say Fish Tales???

Wow phish lighten up a little!! Why did you go off because they don't want to get a passport?? thats their buisness not yours. I told them about the possiblities of getting hurt or missing the ship but they want to do it this way and thats their choice!!! Maybe if they cruise more then they will get a passport but since this is their first why bother they may not like it and they don't fly out of country so whats the point of getting one?? On the lighter side is phish tales because of a band or the kind of music or just a fancy way to say Fish Tales???

my wife and i are both pisces thus phish, we both like to tell tales about our cruises thus tales----------phishtales...

Hey that's neat!! My DH and I are so different on our Zodiak signs hes Aries and I'm Scorpio!! So does that say anything about me wanting to argue??? Yep it does:p As for the band my son went to a phish concert in Wisconsin last weekend so that's why I asked. Hookah music if you know what kind of music that is:eek: They are a jam bands. The one that my son likes is Ekoostik Hookah from Columbus, Ohio

We have passports but we have a non-family member who is a minor traveling on our next cruise. We know he doesn't have a passport, his parents are in a bad financial crisis right now and would not be able to afford even the $100 for the passport. They wouldn't let us pay it and in fact, they are having to send to another state to get a certified copy of his birth certificate. He's never traveled anywhere. There are circumstances that sometimes just require you "go with the flow" and while a passport is obviously the ideal solution, sometimes you have to settle for less than ideal. You may not know what the other posters circumstances are. Give them a break.

Archived