Rumrunners; have you been caught with them?

zachnlucy

Rumrunners?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Rumrunners?

• Rumrunners yes! Never caught.
    • Dang. Used Rumrunners and was caught anyway.
    • Used other methods, never caught.
    • Used other methods, caught.

We smuggle stuff on board. usually its some rum or ready to drink Marguerita stuff. However, we dont do it to save money. Believe me, just look at my S&S bill. I still buy plenty of DOD's, brandy in the cigar bar, wine at dinner. We smuggle it on because there are just times that it is inconvenient to order and wait. Usually its a nightcap on the balcony etc.

Why would people want to smuggle anyway? It's like bringing your own drinks to a restaurant, which is not only very unethical, it's not really allowed, when they sell drinks to make money, because it is their business and their way of making a living. The only reason I am using this comparrison is because we own a restaurant, and no you are not allowed to bring your own drinks, and no, you are not allowed to bring in another restaurants food, which has happened before, because some of the party wanted our food and some wanted another restaurants.Thats what these boards are for opinions, so please no flaming. :)

How do you know if I bring a flask? You doing a body search at the door?

Rum runners in pockets!

Amen!!!! Some of us can barely afford to cruise, much less have a 400.00 bill at the end of it. Does anyone know if they are picking up on the box wines?

So, logically, your next conclusion would be that you could ignore tipping since you "can barely afford to cruise.'

I think we're getting a little off topic with the tipping conversation, but I think that it basically comes down to this:

If you're going to smuggle in alcohol: Hope you make it through, and share some tips when you get back. (most of the "smugglers" don't do it to completely ripoff the cruise line, we just do it to enjoy a drink in our rooms).

If you're against smuggling completely: We know how you feel already, Thanks for your opinion... but why did you read this far into a smuggling post?

Happy Cruising!:cool:

I would NEVER stiff the staff!!! No one said a word about that. But, as a hard working single, widowed woman, I am on a strict budget!!! I will buy a glass of wine with dinner, but cannot afford to have as many as I would like. Please don't judge my situation and I can assure you I don't have a drinking problem. I would just like to do as many things as possible on my long awaited, much deserving vacation. Go away if you don't like this topic!

Smugglers are not gonna stop smuggling and anti smugglers are not gonna stop crying about it. PERIOD. Non smugglers leave our posts alone. Nobody cares what you think. Theres bigger issues in the world than people bringing alcohol on a cruise ship. Get a life.

Ah, the defensiveness of the outlaw!... did we drink out of the wrong side of the rum runner this morning?

True, but it is expected and someone who stiffs the staff with the flimsy excuse that they can barely afford the cruise should not be sailing in the first place.

I have found, after working in the restaurant industry for 27 years, the ones who complain the loudest about prices, the fact they have no money, do not tip or tip very little, are actually one ones who do have the money and are just stingy.

I see people with very little money, tip very well because the understand how had everyone worked to give them a nice dining experience.

I supposed thats why i tend to over tip, i know the effort that goes into the exprience.

Just my opinion:) I don't care what other people do, just thought i'd mention my view on this.

ok back to smuggling!

Why would people want to smuggle anyway? It's like bringing your own drinks to a restaurant, which is not only very unethical, it's not really allowed, when they sell drinks to make money, because it is their business and their way of making a living. The only reason I am using this comparrison is because we own a restaurant, and no you are not allowed to bring your own drinks, and no, you are not allowed to bring in another restaurants food, which has happened before, because some of the party wanted our food and some wanted another restaurants.Thats what these boards are for opinions, so please no flaming. :)

Actually I have smuggled into restaurants and concerts, sporting events. Alcohol is getting extremely overpriced.All of these venues are making money on ticketsales and food plus I still bought drinks. It is either smuggle or don't go out at all. I have cut back on going out to and have friends over at home and we have a great time without spending hardly anything. Prices of everything need to start coming down.

I think we're getting a little off topic with the tipping conversation, but I think that it basically comes down to this:

If you're going to smuggle in alcohol: Hope you make it through, and share some tips when you get back. (most of the "smugglers" don't do it to completely ripoff the cruise line, we just do it to enjoy a drink in our rooms).

If you're against smuggling completely: We know how you feel already, Thanks for your opinion... but why did you read this far into a smuggling post?

Happy Cruising!:cool:

Smugglers are the cruise lines BEST customers. I smuggle and still have a huge ballance on my card.

[quote name='myangel']Why would people want to smuggle anyway? It's like bringing your own drinks to a restaurant, which is not only very unethical, it's not really allowed, when they sell drinks to make money, because it is their business and their way of making a living. The only reason I am using this comparrison is because we own a restaurant, and no you are not allowed to bring your own drinks, and no, you are not allowed to bring in another restaurants food, which has happened before, because some of the party wanted our food and some wanted another restaurants.Thats what these boards are for opinions, so please no flaming. :)[/QUOTE]

Bad analogy. Better is to compare to a hotel. I don't go to a restaurant to sleep, and yet I can sleep, and, indeed, have a "room" on the ship. If I want to have a pop or two in my room, I don't see a problem if I bring my own. When in the MDR or any "public" area I buy their drinks if I want to have something. Simple. And, for the folks that complain or judge, keep doing so. You won't change my mind or I dare say any other minds, but if it keeps you occupied, then enjoy.

Bill

SIX poll respondents say they got caught with RRs, but in none of the comments were being caught or how mentioned.

I'd like to hear those stories. And how long ago they were. People who smuggled with other methods more than a year ago, may havea different experience when they cruise the next time. Would love to hear from pax being caught with "other methods" like the beer in coke cartons or vodka in shampoo bottles since May 2010.

We have been on 5 cruises and never ben caught with our Platapus. Which is like a I.V with a cap.
Our last cruise from Miami I walked on with a 12 pack of Amstel Light right out in the open and no one said a thing I could not believe it.
Our 1st cruise on RC I packed a cooler full of beer, checked it and all was well.

Mine name is John and I smuggle.:D

[quote name='Luke gs Daddy']We have been on 5 cruises and never ben caught with our Platapus. Which is like a I.V with a cap.
Our last cruise from Miami I walked on with a 12 pack of Amstel Light right out in the open and no one said a thing I could not believe it.
Our 1st cruise on RC I packed a cooler full of beer, checked it and all was well.

Mine name is John and I smuggle.:D[/QUOTE]

My name is Pat and I smuggle

[quote name='yogimax']Why are some folks so fearful of honest debate that they want to censor these threads? I seem to recall something like "free speech" being part of our national heritage.[/quote]

That has nothing to do with it - Geez :rolleyes:. I think logic should break out eventually.

[quote name='albertiger']I have a question and an opinion...
What IS a rumrunner?:confused:
and,
8 Liters of alcohol for a week? I have 2 letters for you,...AA!:eek:[/quote]

Methinks you judge.

Leave it alone and answer the OP's question as you know nothing about the circumstances....... I always bring extra for friends.....;)

[quote name='crewsweeper']SIX poll respondents say they got caught with RRs, but in none of the comments were being caught or how mentioned.

I'd like to hear those stories. And how long ago they were. People who smuggled with other methods more than a year ago, may havea different experience when they cruise the next time. Would love to hear from pax being caught with "other methods" like the beer in coke cartons or vodka in shampoo bottles since May 2010.[/QUOTE]

Put rum runners in your pockets. Walk right on!

[quote name='pnjkeith']Put rum runners in your pockets. Walk right on![/quote]

Things have changed:

First off, we do not smuggle only because we do not drink that much and the 1 each bottle of wine we bring and an occasional DOD bought with coupons pre purchased. We are not into should/or shouldn't because it is none of our business and we do not begrudge anyone who does.

Starting with the Dream in May for the first time, my husband was asked to turn his pockets inside out when going through the checkin screening. We saw several people asked to do the same. (we saw a couple of rumrunners taken from pockets and one man who had a flask that he returned to his car with instead of giving it to them) My husband was wearing shorts that were baggy but had nothing in his pockets and did not set off any detectors. They glanced at me but I had jeans on and it was obvious there was too much of me in my pockets to have anything else in there:eek:
They also visually checked our outside pockets on our carry on luggage.

Our son was on the Legend last month and was subject to a pocket check as well. Carnival reads these boards and have apparently learned the rumrunner in the pocket trick and are acting accordingly. It is the FIRST time we have even seen this done and we were in Port Canaveral. We are going out of Long Beach next month so we will see if we empty pockets for them as well.

[quote name='Jimmy Geegitz']Smugglers are the cruise lines BEST customers. I smuggle and still have a huge ballance on my card.[/quote]

I agree with this. I have brought my rumrunners on every cruise except this last one. I bought more drinks on the ship when I had my contriband.

This last cruise to Alaska with having to fly, it was just too much hassle to smuggle and I heard NCL was very strict. I bought about $40 worth of drinks the whole week. It may have had to do with the colder climate.
Love my rumrunner Margarita's for Mexico!
Toni

Archived