preschoolers and luaus

hucifer

Do most preschoolers enjoy luaus? My son will be 4 when we go to Hawaii next year and I'm wondering if preschoolers typically enjoy this type of entertainment, or do they get bored with it pretty easily?

Yes, I know every child's temperment is different from the next. But I am wondering how most preschoolers handle it. My son has a fairly average attention span for his age and I would love to hear people's experiences with it.

I've searched this board and the Hawaii board and I couldn't find any answers.

Thanks so much!

Well my son will be 4 in December and we never cruised to Hawaii but have been 2 times since he was born. We took him to the Polynesian Cultural Center and seen the finale luau. He actually loved it, the music, fire knife dance and all. My son just made 3 when we went. Idk if us being Hawaiian had an influence on it but he does like music! I would say your son will probably like most of the show but if it drags on he may get bored with it. Bring him a little toy or something to keep him occupied!

Oh, yeah! They'll love the entertainment! Might not enjoy the food too much, depending on what they're used to eating, but you can't beat the entertainment! Sometimes, they'll even get folks (adults and kids alike) up to try to hula! A 4 year old will have a blast!

Great! You both are really helping me out here. I had no idea if this is something he would enjoy...or any child is age, really. I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost for him to join us.

As far as eating...he's fairly good at trying new things. I read the menu for the OLL one in Maui and it sounded sooooooo delicious.

Thanks guys! (although more opinions are always welcome!)

Well there is a lot of traditional Hawaiian food at a luau of course. There's always white rice and kalua pork(pork cooked in hawaiian salt and liquid smoke) for him. My son loves it! Or he may like the chicken long rice ... those are a couple things that I think any 4 year old would enjoy!

we have taken our kids when they were 6months, 18m (twins), 30m (twins), 3yrs, 5yrs, 6yrs and all of these different ages we never had any regrets nor disruptive behavior-- they all enjoyed it and sat quietly as they looked at all the different entertainment going on-- maybe once or twice one of them got a little wiggly-- but it was short lived. The dancing, fire, lights, music all kept them very entertained

Both our children did when they were the age of the child. They loves the music, dancing, and the festive nature of the evening. Take pictures and if you have a video take that as well. It will provide a nice memory of the evening.

Keith

Well there is a lot of traditional Hawaiian food at a luau of course. There's always white rice and kalua pork(pork cooked in hawaiian salt and liquid smoke) for him. My son loves it! Or he may like the chicken long rice ... those are a couple things that I think any 4 year old would enjoy!

Yep, definitely sounds like food he would enjoy. Although I might make him try the poi just so he can say he ate it. :D

we have taken our kids when they were 6months, 18m (twins), 30m (twins), 3yrs, 5yrs, 6yrs and all of these different ages we never had any regrets nor disruptive behavior-- they all enjoyed it and sat quietly as they looked at all the different entertainment going on-- maybe once or twice one of them got a little wiggly-- but it was short lived. The dancing, fire, lights, music all kept them very entertained

Awesome! Thank you so much for telling me. Yay!

Both our children did when they were the age of the child. They loves the music, dancing, and the festive nature of the evening. Take pictures and if you have a video take that as well. It will provide a nice memory of the evening.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Videos are always a good idea.

Alright, all of you have made me feel much more confident about booking a luau with my son. Thank you very much for your replies!

I love this board.

Great! You both are really helping me out here. I had no idea if this is something he would enjoy...or any child is age, really. I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost for him to join us.

As far as eating...he's fairly good at trying new things. I read the menu for the OLL one in Maui and it sounded sooooooo delicious.

Thanks guys! (although more opinions are always welcome!)

Just one note that OLL is stictly traditional Hawaiian and does not include fire dances. I didn't know if that might be important, but wanted to make sure you know.

beachchick

We took DD when she was 2 1/2. She wasn't feeling well that evening but she still had fun. I think she was thrilled that we let her have soda with her meal. :)

Well, if a sick toddler can have fun then there's no worries for my 4yo!

Just one note that OLL is stictly traditional Hawaiian and does not include fire dances. I didn't know if that might be important, but wanted to make sure you know.

beachchick

Thanks for letting me know, beachchick. It is actually this very reason I am considering this luau. If we are only doing one luau, I want it to be truly authentic. I mean, fire dancers would be super cool and all, but it's not a deal breaker.

Have I mentioned how much I love this board? :p

Archived