Which Caribbean cruise should we do?

thomsoad

We have plans of doing an 11 day cruise. We live on the west coast and have done 3/4 days but never in the Caribbean.

So for the first time in Caribbean which one do you suggest?

Me and my GF are in our mid to late 30's (im older), fairly active as in we do jog, workout, swim, etc. I honestly would go as far as athletic. But we are not looking to strain ourselves (this is a vacation after all) but dont wanna really be bums either (except by the beach of course).

We both LOVE experiencing new places and doing new things.

While sightseeing is very important ... its not everything and frankly neither of us is really crazy about the idea of sitting on a bus with someone talking to us over an intercom.

We basically wanna go to places that most people dont get to experience. For that reason I was thinking of a Southern Caribbean since it seams to be the most exotic.

Our goal tho is to do all three cruises at some point in our lives but wanted to know which cruise the more experienced would recommend for me.

thomsoad, I agree with you that a Southern Caribbean Cruise would be an excellent choice over either an Eastern or Western Caribbean Cruise.

You have several choices.

One that I would highly recommend based on your age group and because the ships have lots of activities is Royal Caribbean.

As I say there are other choices such as NCL, Carnival and many others but I would take a look at RCI.

The best of luck to you.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Actually, the one we were looking at was Celebrity. We have no problem going to San Juan for our port of call and it hit the islands I was most intrigued by (Aruba, Antigua, and Curaco). Any clue as to what Celebrity is like as compared to the others you mentioned?

thomsoad, yes we have sailed Celebrity several times. They are owned by RCI but treated as a separate cruise line and are a notch above RCI and a couple of notches above the other in my humble opinion. I would recommend them without any hesitation. The overall age group may be a bit older than some of the other lines but you will still find others your age.

A very good choice.

Keith

We have plans of doing an 11 day cruise.

Me and my GF are in our mid to late 30's (im older), fairly active as in we do jog, workout, swim, etc. I honestly would go as far as athletic.

neither of us is really crazy about the idea of sitting on a bus with someone talking to us over an intercom.

I was thinking of a Southern Caribbean since it seams to be the most exotic.

Actually, the one we were looking at was Celebrity. We have no problem going to San Juan for our port of call and it hit the islands I was most intrigued by (Aruba, Antigua, and Curaco).

I just glanced at this on CC's "find a cruise". I see the Millenium 11 days out of San Juan has Aruba and Curacao but not Antigua (it's nice, not too crowded; I consider it a beach stop). The 14 day out of Fort Lauderdale has all three.

If I had a choice, price not a factor, I would go for the one out of San Juan. Both have 8 ports and the ones from San Juan are less traveled. Plus, it hits Dominica (Roseau) which sounds right up your alley - unspoiled rainforest on an undeveloped island which would require a certain level of fitness.

I would also hit San Juan a day or so early and walk the Old City and spend at least 1/2 day up in El Yunque.

You should be able to customize a mix of challenge days and relaxation days by researching the various ports.

If I were you I'd hit the Southern while it's still relatively out of the way. In a few years Cuba will open up and that will unclog the ports close to Florida, which right now are overrun with tourists having nowhere else to go. This will provide some much-needed variety to both the Eastern and Western.

I would pick a southern cruise. There are usually more port days. Carnival even has a cruise that stops at a port each day. On port days you can be as active or inactive as you want. I did the southern itinerary in July and loved it. I don't know how I am going to go back to having sea days.

We have plans of doing an 11 day cruise. We live on the west coast and have done 3/4 days but never in the Caribbean.

So for the first time in Caribbean which one do you suggest?

Me and my GF are in our mid to late 30's (im older), fairly active as in we do jog, workout, swim, etc. I honestly would go as far as athletic. But we are not looking to strain ourselves (this is a vacation after all) but dont wanna really be bums either (except by the beach of course).

We both LOVE experiencing new places and doing new things.

While sightseeing is very important ... its not everything and frankly neither of us is really crazy about the idea of sitting on a bus with someone talking to us over an intercom.

We basically wanna go to places that most people dont get to experience. For that reason I was thinking of a Southern Caribbean since it seams to be the most exotic.

Our goal tho is to do all three cruises at some point in our lives but wanted to know which cruise the more experienced would recommend for me.

The Celebrity Southern Carribean cruise out of SJ is a good one-very port intensive. You can be as active/laid back as you want to be. Fly in a day or so early and take in San Juan.

My recommendation would be a shorter cruise--just one week--and then plan extra time in San Juan. The longer cruises will skew much older. We like Princess, Holland America, and Celebrity about equally well.

We did Southern last year out of San Juan. Different ship at that time, but we visited Curacao, Dominica and Aruba. I agree you would enjoy RCCL because of the activities available on the ship. If you scuba dive, Dominica has some great dives according to my SIL. He's done dives all over the world and said he could have spent a week in Dominica diving. Everyone on our ship LOVED the rain forests and lushness of Dominica. I was sick with a cold and barely got off the boat in Domica so I missed out. Curacao is different from the usual caribbean ports and we absolutely loved the island. Aruba, to me, is more typical of the caribbean island. I envy you having the ability to do 11 days!!! Enjoy.

Thanx Griffy. Both of us decided to forgo a weeks worth of vacation time this year so we could carry five days over to next year and do this cruise plus another next year if we wanted to for the fall.

Luckily we both have jobs that allow each of us to take 2 weeks of PTO in a row. Friends of ours really wanted to join us but his companies guideline is 1 week of PTO; then it comes out of his salary.

Kinda messed up if you ask me.

Archived