HAL Secrets

beaver

I do not know if this is a "secret". But one of our favorite things to do in our HAL cruises is Afternoon Tea. It is usually at 3pm in the MDR or in the Explorers Lounge. It is posted in the day's schedule but I've never heard it announced otherwise. The scones and tiny sandwiches are delicious. Once during the cruise they will have the "Royal Afternoon Tea". During this one they serve you with white gloves. :)

Since January 27th., the 'Muster Drill' is referred to as 'Passenger Emergency Drill'! ;)

And everyone will continue to call it the Muster Drill - and we will all know exactly what it means.:rolleyes:

And how would you know that "everyone will continue to call it the Muster Drill"? :confused: Perhaps you will but I won't! ;) I prefer to keep up to date with new terminology & I will call it by the correct name of "Passenger Emergency Drill"!:)

I like the HAL logo (the stylized steamship with the sailing ship in front), and wanted a shot glass with the logo. The gift shop offered several alternatives in the $7.50+ range, but I didn't care for any of them. That evening, I noted that the "signature" after-dinner drink in the Main Dining Room offered a "free" shot glass with their "gangway" (or whatever the drink is called). The glass was more attractive (to me) than the one sold in the shop, and it came with a drink for $5.95.

Typhoon, it can be subjective. The English often refer to breakfast sausages as bangers. And I believe the bangers usually have a bread crumb inside the sausage as a filler.

You can read an entire discussion on the virtues of English versus American sausage here: http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/07/uk-and-us-differences-between-sausages.html

And how would you know that "everyone will continue to call it the Muster Drill"? :confused: Perhaps you will but I won't! ;) I prefer to keep up to date with new terminology & I will call it by the correct name of "Passenger Emergency Drill"!:)

And I will probably continue to call it the "mustard" drill! Oh well, it is one time I don't mind being wrong.:D

On the day you disembark, you may have a hot, room service breakfast in your stateroom. You may also remain in your stateroom until you depart.

We have always had hot breakfasts in our room every day. I don't like to rush around to get up to the Lido or Dining Room before they close the breakfast stations.

Everyone might not be a fan, but I definiteately am. Ask for BREAD PUDDING at the ice cream bar. it is on a back table out of sight and on my last cruise there was not even a sign to advertise it. The vanilla sauce is to die for. Add a scope of vanilla ice cream if you are not watching your waist line. For some reason HAL seems to want to keep it a secret!

My sister and I took Dad on 4 cruises in his last 3 1/2 years (he passed in July 2008.) He LOVED HAL's bread pudding! Our third cruise with him was on Norwegian, and he groused about not getting his bread pudding. LOL!!!

HAL's crew members were so good with him, and he loved having a new audiences for his many jokes and stories. He didn't like us to hover, and anytime we went looking for him, a crewmember would ask, "Are you looking for Mr. Bob? He went that way....", or, "I saw him ____." There's a special place in my heart for those crewmembers.

I miss my daddy!!:(

My sister and I took Dad on 4 cruises in his last 3 1/2 years (he passed in July 2008.) He LOVED HAL's bread pudding! Our third cruise with him was on Norwegian, and he groused about not getting his bread pudding. LOL!!!

HAL's crew members were so good with him, and he loved having a new audiences for his many jokes and stories. He didn't like us to hover, and anytime we went looking for him, a crewmember would ask, "Are you looking for Mr. Bob? He went that way....", or, "I saw him ____." There's a special place in my heart for those crewmembers.

I miss my daddy!!:(

Awwwww...What a heart warming story. I miss mine too.

So what are the special secrets for deluxe verandah? I'm on the Nieuw Amsterdam next January in a deluxe verandah.

Oh so many things -

Priority boarding - you do not have to wait in line with the masses....when you arrive at the dock go up to a "red coat" and advise them you are in a deluxe suite - they will take you from there...:)

Being a foodie - I always like getting the daily menus first thing - they are fun to read at breakfast in the Pinnacle which is reserved for suite guests in the am.:rolleyes:

When you get onboard just tell a staff member you would like to go to the Neptune Lounge - you can drop off your carry-ons in the Neptune Lounge and the concierge(s) will ensure safe keeping while you go to lunch or explore ship, etc...

Given the number of days you will have a few special suite events with the senior staff and/or other suite guests - it's always fun....you may want to bring a couple extra outfits for those special events....

You don't have to get a pass with the masses for a tender you can go directly to the tender with your "gold" room key.

Laundry/Drycleaning/Pressing/Shoe Shine - all included.....

If you do not want a big breakfast there is a continental breakfast set up in the Neptune - so many choices!!

Wi-fi in the Neptune Lounge...

Concierges will make your special dinner reservations (Pinnacle, Canaletto, Tamarind).

The Neptune concierge's are wonderful - they will assist with anything - just ask - they prefer you do...

You will earn double the number of sea days toward Mariner status...

Oh - and the rooms and balconies are of course bigger...:D

The list really goes on and on - any questions please feel free to ask.....

Have a great time and Happy Sails...

I like the HAL logo (the stylized steamship with the sailing ship in front), and wanted a shot glass with the logo. The gift shop offered several alternatives in the $7.50+ range, but I didn't care for any of them. That evening, I noted that the "signature" after-dinner drink in the Main Dining Room offered a "free" shot glass with their "gangway" (or whatever the drink is called). The glass was more attractive (to me) than the one sold in the shop, and it came with a drink for $5.95.

Are you speaking about the HAL logo Cordial Glasses, which have little colored glass balls in the bottom of them? If so they are so pretty & come in six different colors: Red, Purple, Orange, Green, Blue, & Pink..We collected a dozen of them last year, two in each color.. Had an after dinner drink (Baily's Irish Cream) with my coffee in them each time..My Norwegian Friend who was on the ship with us loved them, so we gave her a set of them in the 6 different colors for Christmas.. This year, I again ordered an after dinner drink with coffee & got two more..

They are fun to collect & each night I asked the Wine Steward to bring the drink in a color I needed..He was very obliging..

Cheers...Betty

Don't be shy! One night I ordered 4 desserts in the MDR. There was a raspberry theme and I just couldn't decide! :D

I'm not a big dessert eater, especially desserts with heavy sauces; however, I really liked the little folded wafer cookies they serve with the sherbet ices in the MDR. Once, I asked for an extra one, and they brought me a plate with at least half a dozen, for me to take back to the room.:p

Okay...at the risk of redundancy but to avoid a seperate thread,

my confusion began on the wine issue again around I believe post #70-#73 on this thread.

We are sailing within a month and would really appreciate some clarification.

One poster stated that HAL'S policy is that bringing liqour aboard is against HAL'S rules ....

While we've read other places to go ahead and stop at Total Wine and bringing wine aboard is fine and totally permitted by HAL.

So are we talking no "liquor" as in hard stuff, and that wine is okay?

If we bring our elCheapo boxed wine (that we both will enjoy in our cabin), it will go thru xray and be okay???

Just don't want a misstep with our wine as I totally don't wish to be viewed as a smuggler :(

Thanks for your patient replies in advance...I know this gets talked to death.;)

Okay...at the risk of redundancy but to avoid a seperate thread,

my confusion began on the wine issue again around I believe post #70-#73 on this thread.

We are sailing within a month and would really appreciate some clarification.

One poster stated that HAL'S policy is that bringing liqour aboard is against HAL'S rules ....

While we've read other places to go ahead and stop at Total Wine and bringing wine aboard is fine and totally permitted by HAL.

So are we talking no "liquor" as in hard stuff, and that wine is okay?

If we bring our elCheapo boxed wine (that we both will enjoy in our cabin), it will go thru xray and be okay???

Just don't want a misstep with our wine as I totally don't wish to be viewed as a smuggler :(

Thanks for your patient replies in advance...I know this gets talked to death.;)

That's ok to ask the question. Yes HAL allows wine and soft drinks and water onboard. No other liquors. I guess that is the bottom line. We have taken wine on in a carrying case with no problems.

That's ok to ask the question. Yes HAL allows wine and soft drinks and water onboard. No other liquors. I guess that is the bottom line. We have taken wine on in a carrying case with no problems.

So it is ok to pack these things in the luggage, and is there a limit? Or do you have to cary it on with you? (as per another line I know...)

Archived