HAL Secrets

beaver

The Explorations Cafe snacks are given free for the asking, when you purchase one of their drinks. If you look at their menu sign, you will see the prices listed for the various drinks, but no prices for any of the pastries. That is the clue that they do not sell them separately.

The ships that have the laundermats charge $2. (eight quarters) for the wash. The liquid detergent as mentioned is dispensed by pushing a button on the machine ONCE as instructed. I made the mistake of pushing two or three times for "extra" cleaning power, but the oversuds as a result did not entirely rinse out, and I had to rewash just to get the suds out.

The dryers are free. I saw some folks that had hand washed some items in their cabins bring them in just to dry them.

There are also a couple of steam irons and ironing boards there for pressing.

The ships that have the laundermats charge $2. (eight quarters) for the wash. The liquid detergent as mentioned is dispensed by pushing a button on the machine ONCE as instructed. I made the mistake of pushing two or three times for "extra" cleaning power, but the oversuds as a result did not entirely rinse out, and I had to rewash just to get the suds out.

The dryers are free. I saw some folks that had hand washed some items in their cabins bring them in just to dry them.

There are also a couple of steam irons and ironing boards there for pressing.

Dryers were $1 on the Veendam. Also, never saw any chocolates in the Explorations Cafe!

If you are on a ship that has the 2 for 1 Happy Hour and you are a soda drinker, you can get a six pack of Cokes to go for $5.88 plus tip instead of the usual $11.70 plus tip.

Kirk

That's great to know for the future! I didn't even know that the bars sold sodas by the six-pack, and even if I did, I wouldn't have ever thought they'd include them in happy hour purchases.

I think this is somewhat of a secret... I probably shouldn't share it, but here it goes-

Check the bible in your room. Sometimes, a kind CC'er will leave a wine or soda card in there if they didn't use all the punches.:cool:

We recieved a card on our Noordam 2009 cruise.

We left a card the last trip.

(and no... I am not planning on telling which room I was in:D)

I think this is somewhat of a secret... I probably shouldn't share it, but here it goes-

Check the bible in your room. Sometimes, a kind CC'er will leave a wine or soda card in there if they didn't use all the punches.:cool:

We recieved a card on our Noordam 2009 cruise.

We left a card the last trip.

(and no... I am not planning on telling which room I was in:D)

Good one! I never thought to check.

If you have an Iphone or Ipod or Ipad, from itunes, search 'sea art tours' go to Zaandam and download

Actually, the correct search is "Ship Art Tours" at iTunes ("Sea" does not seem to bring them up) and you can then select from a list of HAL ship tours. FREE!!

• 2 weeks later...

For the Zaandam - panoramic views of Glacier Bay from the small couches in front of the treadmills!!! (or if you prefer, the treadmills themselves)This spot is also great for whale watching as you sail out of port. There is a small patio on the left side of the gym you can access if there is something worthwhile to run outside to see. It is also accessible from deck 6 or 7 below. I saw more whales this way then on the private tour.

For coffee/tea lovers, bring your own travel mugs or you will be double-fisting 5 ounce mugs all week and the lines are often a pain. We forgot our mugs and ended up buying them in the gift shop on day 1 for about $12. It was still worth it.

And as someone else here mentioned. the Thermal Spa is well worth the $139/couple fee if you will use it. It is also the best spot on the ship for Glacier Bay day. We often spent 3 hours a day in there napping on the hot loungers, sitting in the hot tub and sipping tea in the relaxation room in our robes taking in the scenery. The most people I ever saw in there at once was 8 (usually 4 or 5- sometimes none)

All of the aforementioned have been great secrets. For us, as others, the best part is the Crew. When we board we always feel like Welcome Home.

Another great tip is to get involved with your cruises Roll Call. Have some friends on-board before even embarking on your chosen ship and cruise.

Let me give a couple of examples of how being involved with your cruise Roll Call can benefit you.

Last December we cruised on the MS Eurodam in the Caribbean. At Half Moon Cay they have different cabanas for rent. The ultimate is the Grand Cabana. You get a butler, priority tender, your own chef, your own bartender, all drinks and food, snorkel equipment, hot tub's etc. etc. The cost of this would be $1,200.00 for the day. However, by getting twelve Roll Call members to commit; the cost was $100.00 per person to be pampered to the extreme.

We are currently having Roll Calls for our next cruises on the MS Ryndam and MS Rotterdam. Working together we are sharing our research, arranging some private excursions at huge cost savings and sharing the excitement and becoming friends even before we sail.

The best part of Roll Calls is that we have met friends that we still are in contact with and looking forward to cruising with again.

So my contribution to this thread is not really a secret but being involved with your cruise Roll Call works for us. Join a Roll Call and share the excitement and benefits of planning for your cruise.

Well I'm hoping a secret I learned here is true! Based on what I read here, I booked a specific cabin on the Zuiderdam that is a VD but is said to be as good as a VA.

CC members seem to be so "in the know" when it comes to cabin selection. I wouldn't think of booking one without checking here first! ;)

We recently did a Princess cruise. I was in the ladies room with my fourteen year old daughter and she said "Oh, I miss the little rolled up washcloths that they have on HAL. I love when you go to dry your hands with them and they are still warm.";)

Everyone might not be a fan, but I definiteately am. Ask for BREAD PUDDING at the ice cream bar. it is on a back table out of sight and on my last cruise there was not even a sign to advertise it. The vanilla sauce is to die for. Add a scope of vanilla ice cream if you are not watching your waist line. For some reason HAL seems to want to keep it a secret!

We are just off the Noordam. My daughter got us breakfast pastries one morning in the Explorations Cafe when we went there instead of breakfast to do the daily quiz. We didn't buy any coffee and she said it wasn't any issue. So, pastries are free and no purchase required....

Well I'm hoping a secret I learned here is true! Based on what I read here, I booked a specific cabin on the Zuiderdam that is a VD but is said to be as good as a VA.

CC members seem to be so "in the know" when it comes to cabin selection. I wouldn't think of booking one without checking here first! ;)

So, which cabin is it???

If we bring a bottle of alcohol will they take it away before we board?

Maybe. Maybe not. It's a "hit or miss" kind of thing. The fact remains, though, that bringing liquor is against HAL's rules.

They make it very easy to purchase a bottle for cabin consumption. You can purchase in advance, call room service, or pick up a bottle at a bar---all for reasonable prices.

We are just off the Noordam. My daughter got us breakfast pastries one morning in the Explorations Cafe when we went there instead of breakfast to do the daily quiz. We didn't buy any coffee and she said it wasn't any issue. So, pastries are free and no purchase required....

That is true. They are free ALL THE TIME!!!

Maybe because I'm tired, but I swear somebody on this thread mentioned soup or chowder being served on the outside decks while at Glacier Bay....and now I can't find it.

Am I imagining this, or just tired :) ? We'll be on the Oosterdam on Sept 19 and that sounds SO nice .

Maybe because I'm tired, but I swear somebody on this thread mentioned soup or chowder being served on the outside decks while at Glacier Bay....and now I can't find it.

Am I imagining this, or just tired :) ? We'll be on the Oosterdam on Sept 19 and that sounds SO nice .

I don't know what you read, or where you read it, but I do know that pea soup is served on deck while you are in Glacier Bay.

On my cruise, they also served hot chocolate. :D

Archived