Ladera in St. Lucia?

The Bun Mom

Hi, All -

Has anyone done the done Ladera Resort shore excursion in St. Lucia? If so, was it worth it? Is the drive back as "hairy" as they make it out to be in the description, or is that just for legal disclaimer purposes? (Ha!)

We're about to enjoy our first Princess cruise, after too many years of cruise withdrawal, and several other "brands". Can't wait to get into that cruise mode....sparkly dresses and all!!! My major-cruise-dude hubby, Don, loves an excuse to wear his tux, and honestly --- I love him in it even more! (wink!) Long live formal nights! icon7.gif

Thanks for the very valuable info. We appreciate it,

Adelle

Although I personally haven't been to Ladera, I've driven past it and I've heard that Dasheen, the restaurant there is superb. The resort sits between the Pitons and the view is spectacular. Of course, just about every view in the Soufriere area is! As for the roads, we drove them for a week. They are about half the size of your normal, rural highway, very curvy and the curves are blind, so you have to honk your horn before you venture around one to warn others that you are coming. That being said, we didn't find them to be too hairy, but rather fun. I don't know what the excursion is about, but any trip anywhere in Soufriere is worthwhile. It's the best part of the island!

Thanks for that.

I've seen the website for Ladera, and it blew me away. Can't wait to see it.

As to driving the roads in a car vs a bus - probably a huge difference, which may be why they warn you about "take medicine if you're squeemish"! Do you think those narrow roads would be very difficult in a bus? Apparrently it's worse heading back to the ship from Soufriere, as the descritpion mentions that specifically.

I'm thinking - hire a small boat to go back by water, if it's really all that bad to make it down the mtnside by bus!

Wife and I stayed at Ladera a number of years ago. It has beautiful views and the restaurant at that time was superb. Staying there was wonderful with all the rooms having just 3 walls and open to the fantastic view. As far as the road to and from it was quite an experience. Not for the squeamish!

I was thinking of going to Ladera on our up coming cruise but have decided to save that experience until next time because I want to see dolphins and whales.:D

However - would please describe "squeamish" relative to the journey to Ladera. I've been on some roads that I'd rather not go on so I would appreciate knowing what we're dealing with here!!

Thank you so much. I'm sure it was worth it from just visiting Ladera on the website.:)

If you are prone to motion sickness, you will not like St. Lucia's roads. We are talking switchback after switchback, particularly back to the North end of the island. The buses take the road fine; the drivers are experts at those roads, but if you get queasy in a car, the floaty movement of the bus will probably bother you. If you are afraid of heights, you won't like the steep drop offs.

That being said, hubby and I drove them for a week in a little 4 wheel drive and were fine, even driving on the left side of the road, and he is afraid of heights. We drove them at night, during a tropical depression when the road was washing away in spots and were still okay. I don't get motion sickness, so I can't really say how it would affect someone with problem.

My advice is to take Bonine if you are prone to nausea and some ginger pills as well, before you go (as long as you are not taking blood thinners or a tendency to bleed excessively) and enjoy the ride! Take the catamaran back to the north side; it's takes a couple of hours by road as they are so curvy, but a lot less time via boat.

Enjoy St. Lucia; it is a special place!

Thank you so much for the info. I am not prone to motion sickness but I really don't like "sharp drop offs" combined with height:eek:

However, I know sometimes if you want to do something, you just have to face it - or keep your head down and eyes covered!!!

You were very brave driving with washed away roads. We had some of that experience attempting to drive to Hana in Hawaii. We started too late in the day and after about an 1 1/2 hours - my husband said The "heck" with this Hana business!!! I digress -

We will keep Ladera on our list for another visit. I appreciate your reply.

My husband and I stayed at Ladera on our honeymoon...it was gorgeous! Dasheen truly is an excellent restaurant and the grounds of the resort are astoundingly beautiful. They have a nice pool area with superb views. I don't know the details of the excursion, but I'm sure it mentions that Ladera is UP the mountain, not on the beach (thus the amazing views). You have to travel down a-ways in a shuttle to get to the beach.

As for the ride there, I didn't experience any motion sickness at all, but then, I'm not prone to it. The "hairyness" of the ride was definitely more due to the blind switchbacks and apparent devil-may-care style of driving that the local drivers seemed to have.:) I do recall some drop-offs, but it was more the narrowness of the road, the blind turns, and the fast speeds that made the drive breathtaking, so to speak.

We did, in fact, use a water taxi when we ventured back up to Castries for a day visit. It still took awhile to get there (20 mins? 25? or maybe it just seemed that long), and the trip was the opposite of a deluxe excursion (think 15-foot all-metal pond prowler with an outboard motor) but it was a hoot of an adventure. I'm sure there will be LOTS of water taxis at the dock ready to take you down there.:D

Have a wonderful trip and say hi to the Pitons for me!

DH & I spent part of our honeymoon at Ladera 8 years ago, it was wonderful. We spent most of our time at what was the Hilton Jalousie, which I think is now the Jalousie Plantation. The snorkeling at the base of the Piton is amazing!

Dasheen is an incredible restaurant. DH & I still compare the grilled chicken caesar salad we had there for lunch to every other one we have had, it was just that good.

The ride from the airport to Ladera was "an experience". The roads are narrow, bumpy, hairpin turns, etc. DH was so sick by the time we got there he said he was NOT getting in a taxi to go back home. The only other way was helicopter from the Hilton to the airport, so that's what we did.

Thanks to one and all for great info! Ladera would surely be a real ihghlight of the cruise --- but golly! Apparently that ride really is a white-knuckle adventure. Not so sure I'm brave enough for it! Does anyone know if it's reasonably easy to do Ladera on our own, vs the shore excursion from the cruise? Perhaps by boat, then a shuttle up to Ladera? Sounds like the boat option would be infinitely preferable to the road trip.

Much appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Hate to revive an an old thread but I have to ask...is there any sort of day entrance to Ladera? I'm guessing yes since the Princess excursion includes it but is that available for others? $129 seems like a lot for a ride and entrance.

Dam1979 - Considering the cost of transportation and lunch at Ladera, $129 is not completely out of bounds. A private taxi tour to the Ladera will be over $100US - although that is up to 4 people, so it could be shared.

Lunch would be around $45-$50 pp, depending on # of courses, etc. And cocktails, which are pricey at Ladera.

It is a beautiful resort and well worth a look, you could always hire a taxi for the day, go down to the Soufriere, check out the volcano, have a cocktail at Ladera (you don't need a day pass or anything to go to the resort and have a drink or lunch) then fo on to the botanical gardens and then lunch at La Haut up on the other hillside overlooking Soufriere and the Pitons - La Haut is an excellent little B & B with super local, fresh food. At La Haut, you can use the pool or just relax and enjoy the view and a cocktail while they prepare lunch, explore the gardens and then head back to the ship. Would be a bit of a full day, but the most expensive part is transportation - it would be about $130-$150US for the whole day, while the driver waits for you at each stop, etc.

So, up to you what you want to do, but $129 for the trip down to Ladera, lunch, the resort tour and back up to the ship is actually not bad at all.

Good luck picking and enjoy your visit!!!

• 5 months later...

Archived