Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

There is no limit as to how much wine/champagne you can bring on board. I have brought a full case aboard by taping a luggage tage on it and having a porter take it. If you are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale Total Wine is very close to the port and you can preorder your wine on line, prepay it and they will have it ready for pickup.

Tipping is on another thread, dont hijack this one. I agree about the rules. The ship belongs to them, not me and why do people try to get away with carrying booze onboard when they will pay hundreds to gamble, thousands to cruise and buy a car because people will look at them instead of a Prius to save the planet? It seems odd to em and Princess is good to people but theyll eventually screw it up for everyone.:confused:

The towels in that motel were so thick I had to have my wife set on the suitcase to get it shut. Yogi Berra

Pablo,

I just wanted to use your phrase about the lying part, that is all...Please take no offense.

" 1 HappyCruiser"

No, not paranoid, was simply pointing out the possible consequences of one's actions. Yes, I do not agree with rum runners. JMHO, when one enters into a place of business and the business has rules and standards one should honor. Don't turn this into a flame war!

It's not meant to start any flaming war but to say the Captain would through someone off the ship for taking a bottle of wine into the dining room & not paying a corkage fee is slightly on the ridiculous side to say the least.

There's another impact to consider from taking a bottle to the dining room and telling the waiter that you bought it on the ship when you didn't: you're putting your waiter into an impossible position. Does he knowingly ignore cruise line policy and risk discipline to make the passenger happy, or does he risk having someone reduce or eliminate his tip because he followed his employer's rules?

Waitstaff on ships have an incredibly difficult job and are constantlyunder great pressure. Most are amazing, given the pittance they are paid in relation to their hours of work and in comparison to what servers in the US make (think about what you tip in a nice restaurant for one meal in comparison to what you tip onboard). Is it really worth saving a few bucks to put someone who works hard to please you in a no-win situation?

I know this is off on a tangent but it's something to consider. Now, back to posting the great hints that make up most of this thread?? My inaugural Princess cruise is only 57 days away! :)

Waitstaff on ships have an incredibly difficult job and are constantly under great pressure. Most are amazing, given the pittance they are paid in relation to their hours of work and in comparison to what servers in the US make

That's very true about their salaries but considering their on board total wage compared to what they would be receiving in their home countries, it's probably a decent living. Comparing what servers make in the US isn't a very good comparison at all. What would they receive for a comparable job at home is the only fair comparison, if they could get one at all.

That's very true about their salaries but considering their on board total wage compared to what they would be receiving in their home countries, it's probably a decent living. Comparing what servers make in the US isn't a very good comparison at all. What would they receive for a comparable job at home is the only fair comparison, if they could get one at all.

I think you missed the point. Even if it IS more than what they would receive at home, it's not fair to put any staff in a position that would jeopardize their job in anyway.

On to other things.....does anyone know what this box-like thing is in front of cabins 706 and 708?

2965951130015325211PjzWtZ_th.jpg

Are you paranoid? The worst that could happen is that they find out you didn't buy it on the ship & add the corkage fee and that can be blamed on the waiters misinterpretation. The next thing you'll be saying is people who carry their glass of wine into the dining room should be charged. Some difference to me.

btw- the towels are nothing to bring home. Much to rough for my taste.

I'll bet you don't approve of Rumrunners either. :rolleyes:

Stealing is dishonest and wrong. It should not be rationalized via humor or some other way in attempts to justify it. JMHO

Bob

I think you missed the point. Even if it IS more than what they would receive at home, it's not fair to put any staff in a position that would jeopardize their job in anyway.

On to other things.....does anyone know what this box-like thing is in front of cabins 706 and 708?

2965951130015325211PjzWtZ_th.jpg

My guess, and it would be only a guess is something to do with rescuing people who fall overboard. Maybe something to do with drysuits worn by rescures.....

Bob

While I'm thinking of it, does anyone know why the Caribbean Princess is abbreviated "CB" around here? Shouldn't it be "CP"?

Princess has several ships that begin with the letter C so some creative abbreviations have been used, CB=Caribbean Princess, KP=Crown Princess and so on depending on whether the particular set of initials was already in use by another ship, the most unusual one I think being the Sea Princess with the CP label as SP was already taken by the Sun Princess. Confusing I know. :eek:

I thought this thread was about Princess secrets? The OP has been awesome to keep an updated list going and sharing with us, the least we can do is stay on the topic. I'm sure there are threads already started about the do's & don't of wine, rum runner's etc. Thanks!!!!

Princess has several ships that begin with the letter C so some creative abbreviations have been used, CB=Caribbean Princess, KP=Crown Princess and so on depending on whether the particular set of initials was already in use by another ship, the most unusual one I think being the Sea Princess with the CP label as SP was already taken by the Sun Princess. Confusing I know. :eek:

Thanks for clearing that up, Carolyn... LOL. Those who have been on several different Princess ships must have one heck of a time trying to keep those all straight! :rolleyes:

Speaking of Carnival Stock... Many of you know that you can get OBC (onboard credit) if you own 100+ shares of stock in Carnival Corp.

But did you know that Princess has recently added MILITARY OBC that can be added the same way?

After you have booked and paid in full, you send in a fax with your cruise info and proof of military status and they will add $100 to your cabin.

This is VERY new, so your TA may not be aware of it and even the Princess agents on the phone might not know. This works for US and Canadian military, I don't know about internationals.

Speaking of Carnival Stock... Many of you know that you can get OBC (onboard credit) if you own 100+ shares of stock in Carnival Corp.

But did you know that Princess has recently added MILITARY OBC that can be added the same way?

After you have booked and paid in full, you send in a fax with your cruise info and proof of military status and they will add $100 to your cabin.

This is VERY new, so your TA may not be aware of it and even the Princess agents on the phone might not know. This works for US and Canadian military, I don't know about internationals.

Our brave service men and women deserve it!!!:D

The amount of OBC is more for different lengths of cruises. My father and cousin each recieved $250.00 for our 15 night Panama Canal Cruise.

I believe one can get either the Carnival Corp onboard credit OR the Military OBC, but NOT both.

That's either a shareholder OBC or a military OBC PER CABIN.

If you have a person in the cabin that is receiving a shareholder OBC and the other person in the cabin is eligible for the military OBC, only one of them will receive an OBC. This is happening to me.

Just so I'm clear, the correct stock symbol for Carnival is CCL...right?

Currently trading at 39.27. $4000 is a lot to spend for $100 OBC, but who knows where it will go.

For those who own stock, when did Carnival acquire Princess and what has the stock done since?

Currently trading at 39.27. $4000 is a lot to spend for $100 OBC, but who knows where it will go.

For those who own stock, when did Carnival acquire Princess and what has the stock done since?

2003 P&O Princess Cruises merges with Carnival Corporation.

Fluctuated.

Astro Flyer, no we were in a balcony cabin, not a suite. I got the number for the main dining room and called our order in every morning. The dining room has a different number than the one you hang on the door. I read this suggestion in the cruise reviews and thought I would give it a try. Normally we like to eat in the buffet in the mornings. We did not like the way the buffett was set up on the Golden Princess and choose to eat on our balcony. I could never talk my DH into eating on the balcony before, but I think he enjoyed it as much as I. I did not try it on Carnvial last year, but maybe I will in December. All they can do is tell you no. No harm done. This is why I love to read and reread cruise reviews.

Archived