Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

I have started a word document and am saving some of the ideas that would apply to us. (my memory is terrible) thanks to all

way too funny, i'm doing the same thing. any great ideas or tips i put under the heading of the port or just general. thought i was the only one so excited and afraid to miss anything.

Do they have a hot water spigot near the coffee in the buffet?

Just might try that Via...DW wants to bring some tea also.

:confused::confused:

Starbucks recently came out with some new products--when I stopped to buy VIA at our local Fred Meyer (at the Starbucks kiosk, not off the shelf), I left with about $5 in samples of the various new products, plus some of the old, plus more coupons than I could possibly use before they expire (which I shared with my fellow coffee lovers). So if you're thinking of trying it, this might be a good time to hit them up for samples.

And it is a good thing to try both roasts before you buy a 12-pack (there's Italian Roast and Columbia--the Columbia is much milder).

Not sure this has been prevously posted (we are too lazy to read all the posts) but we discovered something on the Grand a couple of weeks ago. Like most of the Princess ships they have an outdoor grill in the pool area and one day I got a cheeseburger only to discover that it was so well done it was crunchy. Now most of us know that burgers must be cooked well done for health reasons (I usually make mine blood dripping rare at home) but I was annoyed that the darn things were cooked too well. A few days later I stopped by the grill and told the cook I sure wish he could make me a rare cheeseburger. He just smiled and pulled out a large book which he handed to me. There was a page that warned me about undercooked meat and a place where I could sign a waiver of liability. Once that was accomplished the cook made me a nice rare burger :)

Hank

That is not correct. They do not charge for it.

Your list of cruises indicates that your most recent Princess voyage was over three years ago. At that time, they did not charge for fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast in the dining room.

Since then Princess has converted to charging extra for fresh squeezed OJ as you will see on your November Grand Princess trip.

That is not correct. They do not charge for it.

Other than suite passengers they do charge for fresh sqeezed OJ. If you want to get it for free you can simply cruise with Holland America where they still maintain their tradition of providing fresh squeezed OJ for free (not to mention their wonderful made-to-order Eggs Benedict bar.

Hank

Do they have a hot water spigot near the coffee in the buffet?

Just might try that Via...DW wants to bring some tea also.

:confused::confused:

My DW loves her French Press coffee in the morning. She used her coffee card frequently on our 14 day Hawaii RT and our 23 days in South America for fresh brewed coffee at the International Cafes on the Golden and the Star. With no IC on the Coral on our Alaskan cruise she decided to bring Starbucks VIA and an insulated coffee mug. She used the hot water available in the Horizon Court with the VIA and enjoyed the result.

There is a good choice of regular and herbal teas in the HC. Your DW should not need to bring her own.

Other than suite passengers they do charge for fresh sqeezed OJ.

Hank

We were on the Golden in March to Hawaii. at that time, they had fresh squeezed OJ FREE during breakfast, but there was a charge any other time.

Not sure this has been prevously posted (we are too lazy to read all the posts) but we discovered something on the Grand a couple of weeks ago. Like most of the Princess ships they have an outdoor grill in the pool area and one day I got a cheeseburger only to discover that it was so well done it was crunchy. Now most of us know that burgers must be cooked well done for health reasons (I usually make mine blood dripping rare at home) but I was annoyed that the darn things were cooked too well. A few days later I stopped by the grill and told the cook I sure wish he could make me a rare cheeseburger. He just smiled and pulled out a large book which he handed to me. There was a page that warned me about undercooked meat and a place where I could sign a waiver of liability. Once that was accomplished the cook made me a nice rare burger :)

Hank

We are going on the Grand next Monday I read your message to MY DH and he got a big grin on his face and said I will sign anything to get a medium rare hamburger

Dot

way too funny, i'm doing the same thing. any great ideas or tips i put under the heading of the port or just general. thought i was the only one so excited and afraid to miss anything.

If you'd like to share your Doc with us, it would be much appreciated! My email address is:

Hank1468 at comcast dot net

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by Hlitner

Not sure this has been prevously posted (we are too lazy to read all the posts) but we discovered something on the Grand a couple of weeks ago. Like most of the Princess ships they have an outdoor grill in the pool area and one day I got a cheeseburger only to discover that it was so well done it was crunchy. Now most of us know that burgers must be cooked well done for health reasons (I usually make mine blood dripping rare at home) but I was annoyed that the darn things were cooked too well. A few days later I stopped by the grill and told the cook I sure wish he could make me a rare cheeseburger. He just smiled and pulled out a large book which he handed to me. There was a page that warned me about undercooked meat and a place where I could sign a waiver of liability. Once that was accomplished the cook made me a nice rare burger

Did you have to sign a waiver only once or each time?

Originally Posted by Hlitner

Not sure this has been prevously posted (we are too lazy to read all the posts) but we discovered something on the Grand a couple of weeks ago. Like most of the Princess ships they have an outdoor grill in the pool area and one day I got a cheeseburger only to discover that it was so well done it was crunchy. Now most of us know that burgers must be cooked well done for health reasons (I usually make mine blood dripping rare at home) but I was annoyed that the darn things were cooked too well. A few days later I stopped by the grill and told the cook I sure wish he could make me a rare cheeseburger. He just smiled and pulled out a large book which he handed to me. There was a page that warned me about undercooked meat and a place where I could sign a waiver of liability. Once that was accomplished the cook made me a nice rare burger

Did you have to sign a waiver only once or each time?

I just read a recent review and the poster said you have to sign a waiver each time you get an undercooked hamburger

On our last Christmas Cruse in 1997 on the Grand Princess, my neighbors informed me you could write pretty much anything on the card you hang on your door. Not just the things you can check off. I tried it and eggs, bacon, toast; and a full carafe of OJ showed up in the morning.

On our last Christmas Cruse in 1997 on the Grand Princess, my neighbors informed me you could write pretty much anything on the card you hang on your door. Not just the things you can check off. I tried it and eggs, bacon, toast; and a full carafe of OJ showed up in the morning.

I'm going to have to try that on my next cruise. That's one thing about Princess I would like to see changed - a hot breakfast available from room service.

I just read a recent review and the poster said you have to sign a waiver each time you get an undercooked hamburger

The "waiver" is in a large book that they keep under the counter at the outdoor grill. You have to sign each time you order something "undercooked" but I think if you order 3 or 4 burgers at a time you only sign once. The alternative is that you can let them cook it the normal way and later decide if you want to use it a a hockey puck, frisbee, or perhaps a door stop!

Hank

being a long time cruiser...a few little known secrets

1. If you do not wish to pay the added gratuity, just go

down to the pursers desk and have it removed. We prefer

to tip on our own.

2. When you get to your state room, ask for robe & slippers

plus a bed topper, and upgraded pillows....you won't be

sorry !!!!

3. Tipping cash to the bartenders goes a long way. You

get better drinks..and some freebies besides !!!

barb & ed....( 19 cruises) ~~~~

The tips are split into a pool which includes "behind the scenes" workers so by doing this you are screwing over people who are working very hard for you but may not be your bartender or waitress. I hope people don't take this comment and do the same thing - the cruise ship staffs are worked to death and this is just a horrible thing to do to them.

By that logic, we could all take wine with a screw cap to dinner and not pay a corkage fee. ;) Or simply take our own corkscrew.

Seriously, is this true? I always thought a corkage fee was to help make up for lost revenue when you didn't buy your wine through the cruiseline.

yes that is exactly what a corkage fee is for - on a cruise or at a "land-based" restaurant.

There are waivers for undercooked hamburgers in the DR as well.

You have to sign one each time you order one. :)

I have worked at various "classes" of restaurants and at some places we could cook meat any way, some minimum medium, and some minimum well done. All I will say is there was a reason for the cooking minimums which directly corresponded to meat quality. Maybe they are just being super sensitive or....maybe you should think twice about signing a waiver. =P

Archived