Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Every cabin has a small safe. Each time you close it, you enter a four digit PIN which then must be used to open it.

After it locks, the PIN you entered is displayed briefly so you can be sure what you entered.

If there is a shelf in the safe, do you know if it can be removed, and if so would a netbook fit in diagonally? It measures 10" by 7 1/2".

Teee, you asked, "If there is a shelf in the safe, do you know if it can be removed, and if so would a netbook fit in diagonally? It measures 10" by 7 1/2"."

I'm assuming your netbook has the same type of security keyhole on the side that most laptops have. I purchased a steel-reinforced cable combination lock for my laptop. You just loop the steel cable around an attached arm or back of a chair, or some other place in your room that's enclosed (not on the bottom leg of a chair or bed where lifting a leg would free the cable). Then install the lock, twirl the numbers so it's secure, and you're set. Someone would have to come prepared with a hacksaw to get it free, and people looking to steal electronics are usually looking for easy pickings (from what my law enforcement friends tell me). I've used it on ships and in hotel rooms with no problems.

Just Google "laptop security cable combination lock" and you should be able to find several inexpensive (under $20) versions (they also have keyed locks, but I'd be too afraid I'd lose the key!). And you can pick your own four-digit combination for easy recall.

Shelves don't come out of safe as there aren't any. Maitre'd on Diamond Princess 16 Day Asia, was ever present from 11 AM to closing time in all the eateries. They were very accomodating and for the tiem we had to wait it wouldn't be worth bribing him. they are just so nice it's unbelieveable compared to US Restaurants. They always came by the table after we were finished.

If there is a shelf in the safe, do you know if it can be removed, and if so would a netbook fit in diagonally? It measures 10" by 7 1/2".

There was no shelf in ours. Don't know if the netbook would fit. But I had my laptop out all the time. My TA sails Princess with her's out all the time. I have NEVER heard of a computer walking away while on board ship.

Anyone?

Thanks everyone for your input. The safe in our cabin on the MSC Poesia cruise we were on a few weeks ago did have a shelf, that's why I was asking. I can't imagine anyone on staff walking away with anything, but I won't take any unnecessary chances. I will probably pick up a lock.

We don't put anything away - just leave it neatly on the desk or dressing area. Never have had a problem with computer or camera. In Alaska I left three cameras and three lens plus computer on the dressing area. I've even left jewelry out when we were in a hurry to leave.

Another great desert that is on the Children's menu.... The Love Boat (not to be confused with the Blue Pina Colada called the Love Boat)..

This one is 2 chocolate chip cookies, with some vanilla ice cream and some toppings...

I'm assuming your netbook has the same type of security keyhole on the side that most laptops have. .

Thanks for posting this...if I ever knew about it, I'd forgotten.

Although I don't need it for cruising, I've been in other circumstances where I could have used it.

Although it's not a "Princess" secret, I appreciate the info!

We always leave our laptop on the desk. Never worried about it. The staff like their jobs!!!:D

I don't worry about the ship's staff so much as about the folks who walk up and down the halls where the cabins are located. It's not too much of a stretch to think that while the steward is cleaning the bathroom -- or getting supplies from a cart down the hall, with the cabin door propped open, that someone wandering the hall could see a laptop sitting invitingly within sight of the door and casually lift it.

A passenger walking with a laptop is a common sight, and few would question whether he or she is the owner of the computer.

Another thing I have that makes it less likely that someone would lift my laptop is the teal-colored translucent hard shell case that is clipped to both the top and bottom of the unit. VERY unusual color -- if somehow my computer were to "walk away" it would be readily identifiable (until, of course, the appropriator removed the case). :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem?

No documented personal knowledge of a computer theft onboard, but in hotels, yes -- and I AM aware of someone's jewelry that was left on the nightstand disappearing from a ship's cabin -- AFTER the steward had been in and out (jewelry wasn't there when the steward was in, but left there afterwards). Could have been anyone with a pass key.

Though the vast majority of people -- both ship staff and passengers -- are honest, all it takes is one bad apple to mar a nice vacation. My philosophy is, why tempt fate? Secure your belongings and you are worry-free. ;)

Another great desert that is on the Children's menu.... The Love Boat (not to be confused with the Blue Pina Colada called the Love Boat)..

This one is 2 chocolate chip cookies, with some vanilla ice cream and some toppings...

Ok...volcano and love boat....next cruise! :D

I have the Asus 10" screen and put it in the safe in the included zippered bag to see if it would fit and it did, but I didn't keep it there, only put it in to see if it would fit.

That's exactly what I have, the Asus 10" and zippered bag. Thanks a lot for the info. That will save me from burying it somewhere when I'm not using it, which will be all the time I'm on board.

Thanks everyone for your input. The safe in our cabin on the MSC Poesia cruise we were on a few weeks ago did have a shelf, that's why I was asking. I can't imagine anyone on staff walking away with anything, but I won't take any unnecessary chances. I will probably pick up a lock.

Hi

On our Round the World in 2009 I had my MacBook Pro and a 1TB hard drive connected up on the dressing table for the entire cruise. It probably drove the room steward nuts but it was safe as houses. I did back up most of my info to a smaller hard drive, stored in the safe, just in case. Had to hope for the best with the HD video though, as it occupied the entire 1TB so nowhere big enough to back it up!! Enjoy your cruise. GC

The International sells tea, brewed coffee, fancy coffee drinks and alcohol beverages.

When you buy the "coffee card" you get 15 punches for fancy coffees. In addition to the "Punch" coffees you are entitled to unlimited tea and brewed coffee with the card. We always leave one punch on our card so we can continue to have a decient cup of tea or coffee.

BTW The cards are good on all ships, so if you have punches left over, take the card on you next cruise.

Don't forget the card gets you free hot chocolates as well. GC

On the larger ships, such as the Ruby, Emerald, Crown, etc., there is a secret door that leads out to a deck above the bridge. It's a great place to be during sailaway. Just go to the Lido deck and go all the way forward. You will see a door on either side. Go through those doors to another door that leads to a few steps leading to this deck. However, these doors are locked while at sea. It's way too windy and therefore dangerous.

That is definitely a must, thanks for the tip!

Does it cost anything to get into the Sanctuary?

Yes it does cost to reserve a chair in the Sanctuary. It was either $15.00 or $25.00 per day. The days at sea are most popular, so reserve early. And you don't have to worry about the "Chair hogs" there...

Yes it does cost to reserve a chair in the Sanctuary. It was either $15.00 or $25.00 per day. The days at sea are most popular, so reserve early. And you don't have to worry about the "Chair hogs" there...

Yep, you're actually paying to be a chair hog.:D

In response to the poster's comment that they would be too embarrassed to give Generosa a $20 tip, rest assured, he has never been too embarrassed to accept our tips on the three cruises we have experienced with him!

In response to the poster's comment that they would be too embarrassed to give Generosa a $20 tip, rest assured, he has never been too embarrassed to accept our tips on the three cruises we have experienced with him!

I am that poster and for me this would not be an acceptable tip for someone like Generoso, or any great Maitre D I would be embarrassed (not Generoso) and would think that a great bottle of wine from my area would be much more thoughtful, and not as cheap as a $20 dollar tip. This is JMHO.

Archived