Diabetic's traveling

After reading many posts of people's opinion about bring soda, water, etc on board, I started thinking about the "sugar-free" deserts they serve in the MDR or the "sugar-free" cookies. My husband is diabetic and on an insulin pump and right after eating a sugar-free desert is sugar went up. When I toured the

galley on one cruise - I asked how can you say that this is sugar free when the "swan" is a cake with maybe a sugar free pudding. I think Royal needs to examine what is sugar free and what is low sugar.

We always travel with small boxes of juice, I bring 3 for a week cruise. So if we are in port and Kirk feels his sugar is dropping, I bring a juice box, better than trying to find something.

Okay, I am done with my soap box!

After reading many posts of people's opinion about bring soda, water, etc on board, I started thinking about the "sugar-free" deserts they serve in the MDR or the "sugar-free" cookies. My husband is diabetic and on an insulin pump and right after eating a sugar-free desert is sugar went up. When I toured the

galley on one cruise - I asked how can you say that this is sugar free when the "swan" is a cake with maybe a sugar free pudding. I think Royal needs to examine what is sugar free and what is low sugar.

We always travel with small boxes of juice, I bring 3 for a week cruise. So if we are in port and Kirk feels his sugar is dropping, I bring a juice box, better than trying to find something.

Okay, I am done with my soap box!

Thanks so much Barb for starting this thread. My husband is diabetic also and is highly allergic to anything sweetened with NutraSweet/Aspartame plus he can not drink anything with caffeine in it.

The sugar free desserts that RCI prepares are sweetened with NutraSweet. We learned this on Radiance when we asked the question.

RCI needs to be educated about people with diabetics or sever allergic reactions to what they are serving on board. Why should these folks be discriminated against............they have every right to be on a cruise like the perfectly healthy person has.

We also carry juice with us to keep in our cabin. We have a letter from our doctor to show in case they want to take our liquids from us. I am so tired of people chastising and calling those that need to take their own drinks on board cheap because of a valid medical reason.

OK, I'm off my soap box.:D

My hubby is diabetic too. With that said, you could have an official letter done by his dortor stating a medical need for the juice boxes. They should honor this letter. You could also contact Customer service.

One night, Kirk's sugar went low and I was running around looking for soda or something sweet. I found a bar open and he asked me if I had a soda card,,, I just wanted a coke - imagine I am standing in my Pj's, plus I was frantic, so now we always travel with our juice boxes. It seems, that the natural emotion of traveling, checking in, etc - raises the blood sugar.

They are so aware of peanuts and people's allergic reaction to that, it should be the same for sugar. I think I will write to Mr. Goldstein.

Sugar free desserts are high in carbs which will raise blood sugar. A meeting with a nutritionist by both the person with diabetes and the person closest to them is very important in understanding how to manage diabetes.

It is up to the diabetic to understand their disease and know what questions to ask. Royal Caribbean does a good job in dealing with people's dietary needs. I am not sure what you think Mr Goldsein should change.

Sugar free desserts are high in carbs which will raise blood sugar. ....

I agree, even if you make a cake without sugar, the flour, and some other things, might have a high content of carbs. Which we all know turn to sugar. 4 of us are diabetic, we just loved the desserts. You just have to watch what you eat, and make choices. Being diabetic does not mean you can not have sugar, just be smart.

:rolleyes:

You have to remember that sugar free does not mean carbohydrate free. When it comes to blood sugar spikes, carbohydrates (except fiber) are pretty much the same as sugar. Start looking at carbs, not sugars, and he will be able to better manage.

I am not here to get in a discussion about what is and what isn't, I just would like RCCL to be more aware of the labels they put on the food in the dining room as they tend to be misleading.

The carbs are raising his blood sugar and if you don't understand that then you would benefit with some basic diabetic teaching.

What is misleading about a sugar free dessert? It is a dessert that as Cruisenfever has found out, is made with Nutrasweet.

There are alternatives to NutraSweet........namely Splenda which RCI does make available in packets on the table. Baking with it is rather costly so that is probably the reason it is not used in food preparation.

There are alternatives to NutraSweet........namely Splenda which RCI does make available in packets on the table. Baking with it is rather costly so that is probably the reason it is not used in food preparation.

Yes, I agree that Splenda is another option, though pricey. Luckily, Nutrasweet isn't an issue in my household. The flavors of the sugar free desserts is an issue with my overly picky DH.:rolleyes:

My husband is diabetic and on a pump. He has had the proper education and knows that "sugar-free" is not carb-free. Any diabetic who thinks "sugar-free" desserts are okay should immediately change physicians and attend a course in diabetes management. These courses are offered at most hospitals and are generally covered by insurance.

We always carry juice boxes. We have never had a problem with RCI or TSA for that matter. I put the juice boxes in the insulated bag with the insulin vials so that inspectors will be able to relate them to the diabetes. The bag is in his carryon so there is never a problem explaining them.

I also have a prescription for a glucogon kit. Most of the time it expires and we get a fresh one to replace it, but I won't be without one. I had to use one on a cruise when he had gotten really sick from something else. It is a life saver in the middle of the night when you wake up and realize that your husband is unconscious and you can't get him to swallow anything. (For those who don't know, the kit has medications in it that are mixed then injected. They cause the liver to empty itself of stored sugars and raise the blood glucose level of the patient.)

For the poster with the husband who is a pumper: Minimed offers a loaner program so that you can carry a spare pump with you when you travel just in case something happens to the pump. I'm guessing that other companies have the same thing. It's about a $30 expense and well worth it for peace of mind. I also make sure that the program (times and dosages) is written down and kept with our other medical information just in case we have to program the loaner.

I hope this information if helpful to other pumpers and diabetics.

The carbs are raising his blood sugar and if you don't understand that then you would benefit with some basic diabetic teaching.

Exactly exactly exactly. No offense to OP who is absolutely looking out for her husband and caring for him, but this is instrumental for any diabetic to know. Years ago, it used to be about "the sugar - stay away from the sugar!!" Now we know better and it is all about the carbs.

I am diabetic. If I wanted to, I could have a package of Skittles candies, but I would have to read the label and count those carbs toward my total for the meal, correct? To be smarter still, I would eat a little protein with those carbs to slow their absorbtion into my bloodstream. This is basic diabetes management, and part of what I learned in my counselling sessions when I was first diagnosed.

The sugar free desserts on RCI are lovely, but you still have to be careful. As others have said, they still contain carbs and Barbara (OP), that is why his blood sugar shot up. Royal is always accomodating to those with special dietary needs; I've always been pleased with the selection of choices I, as a diabetic, have and if there is something else I want, they will accomodate me.

The cruiseline is very good about accommodating special diets - BUT, it is up to the person to know exactly what they should be eating. They can tell you precisely what is in certain foods (having done a galley tour, I know that they have photos of all of the dishes posted for each day including a list of ingredients in each), but you need to know what you can and cannot have and in what quantities. My mom and dad were both diabetics and mom always had a candy bar in her purse just in case. She was very careful about exactly how much sugar and how many carbs each consumed.

Sorry about the poster who was charged for a coke at the bar - but guess what? If you go to the infirmary for meds that you need they are going to ask for your seapass as well. And doesn't every cabin have cans of coke in the minibar? Why didn't you just open one?

Oh, and BTW, the "swan" is made of creampuff pastry - butter, flour, eggs only - no sugar - so it is indeed a sugar-free dessert.

I am also a diabetic. I shoot up four times a day and test my glucose readings 7 to 8 times daily. While juices are good I always carry with me glucose tablets. No need to keep it cold. I have never had it questioned at airport security or by anybody. A vial of 15 is the size of a roll of pennies or so, is light weight and fits easily into your pants pocket. They work as fast as a carton of juice. The number you take is based on carbs and usually 2 or 3 is sufficient. I gave up carrying juice a long time ago. The tablets are much more convenient.

At least RCI knows what is in their food. When we were on Princess, most of the food came on pre-prepared and waiters, cooks, etc. did not know what was in it. A nightmare cruise with food allergies. We simplified everything. No sauces and fruit only for dessert.

My mother was a diabetic. Be sure your glucagon kit is up-to-date. I had to use it once with her. She did not recognize me and was combative. It was a scary experience. I also worked at a camp for diabetic girls. One in my cabin had high sugars which I traced to ketchup packets she was eating at night. Her doctor had told her parents that ketchup was a free item, figuring she would not use much. Wrong. He did not know children!

Enjoy your cruise and be healthy.

I am also a diabetic, but on top of that I am VERY allergic to strawberries and raspberries:(. Almost every dessert RCCL makes has those 2 berries on it:confused:. So even when they offer sugar free and still can't eat it as it has tons of berries on it.

Laura

Ask your nutritionist what your carb intake can be per meal. That does help to manage meals and figure out just what you can and cannot have.

Dreamfields pastas have been a lifesaver to many Diabetics...they can have their pasta and keep those digestible carb numbers down.

:)

I am also a diabetic, but on top of that I am VERY allergic to strawberries and raspberries:(. Almost every dessert RCCL makes has those 2 berries on it:confused:. So even when they offer sugar free and still can't eat it as it has tons of berries on it.

Laura

You do know that you can ask to have your dessert without the "decorations" - they will be more than happy to accommodate. You might have to order the night before (just speak with the headwaiter - it is one of his/her duties) and they will have your dessert of choice prepared without the berries, no problem at all. So much better to ask if something can be done at the time instead of waiting and complaining about it after the fact.

You do know that you can ask to have your dessert without the "decorations" - they will be more than happy to accommodate. You might have to order the night before (just speak with the headwaiter - it is one of his/her duties) and they will have your dessert of choice prepared without the berries, no problem at all. So much better to ask if something can be done at the time instead of waiting and complaining about it after the fact.

Yes I know and I do this all the time for dinner in the MDR. BUT there is the windjammer and also lunch in the MDR, all their sugar free will also have on berries. I was not complaining per say but stating a fact that all their dessert have berries on them. The next time you cruise just look at all the desserts and count how many have berries. You might be surprise.

Laura

I am so tired of people chastising and calling those that need to take their own drinks on board cheap because of a valid medical reason.

Give me a break! No one is chastising ANYONE for bringing on drinks for a valid medical reason. If you're concerned about hypoglycemia, and you bring along a few juice boxes, that makes perfect sense.

But when I see some CHEAPSKATE dragging on cases of bottled water and soda, meanwhile trying to sneak a couple rumrunners of booze on board, I don't think I should pause and consider it might be due to his DIABETES!!!:eek:

Sugar free desserts are high in carbs which will raise blood sugar. A meeting with a nutritionist by both the person with diabetes and the person closest to them is very important in understanding how to manage diabetes.

It is up to the diabetic to understand their disease and know what questions to ask. Royal Caribbean does a good job in dealing with people's dietary needs. I am not sure what you think Mr Goldsein should change.

Agreed! I am a Diabetic. Used to take a whole laundry list of medications / injection(s).

Through education, diet and exercise, I have reversed the disease to where I take just a few meds a day. And I hope to get rid of those soon. I also go to the gym 4 times a week, and have lost 40 lbs since the first of the year.

I cruise a lot. Food can be a problem. But, in the MDR, I always skip the bread, and skip the dessert, no matter what they tell me it is. I have not had a soda in 5 years, diet or otherwise.

As far as everything in between, you have to eat the right foods just as you would at home.

Archived