The Quest for Diamond Plus

Yes, that is what the OP started this thread is about. Extra credits for Diamond and Diamond Plus members.

Well, this thread seems to have come around full circle. It just seems so counter-intuitive to be giving us extra credits when so many loyal cruisers say that the reason for possible upcoming changes is that there are too many Diamond and Diamond+ cruisers, which I don't doubt at all! Those guys in the Marketing Department are sure doing their jobs, though. To some of us, extra cruise credits are like Willie Wonka's Golden Tickets.:D If this promotion wasn't successful last year, I don't think they'd do it again. That's why I wondered what Diamond/+ cruisers thought would be the outcome of this promotion. Thanks for your responses.

Well, this thread seems to have come around full circle. It just seems so counter-intuitive to be giving us extra credits when so many loyal cruisers say that the reason for possible upcoming changes is that there are too many Diamond and Diamond+ cruisers, which I don't doubt at all! Those guys in the Marketing Department are sure doing their jobs, though. To some of us, extra cruise credits are like Willie Wonka's Golden Tickets.:D If this promotion wasn't successful last year, I don't think they'd do it again. That's why I wondered what Diamond/+ cruisers thought would be the outcome of this promotion. Thanks for your responses.

Have you considered the December Diamond/+ promotion may be a precursor to the rumored changes in January? Just a thought. :)

Extra cruise credit if you are Diamond or Diamond Plus.

Well that was what we thought but if you read Adam's Why Not Blog on the thread about the Diamonds in December Promotion he clearly says in two of his replies that ALL C&A members get the extra credit for cruising in December. In one reply to someone who stated they are Platinum C&A -

'25th August, 2010 at 1:31 pm Adam

xxxxx, yes all Crown & Anchor society members will receive one additional Crown & Anchor Society cruise credit for sailing during the December Diamond Celebration.'

Well that was what we thought but if you read Adam's Why Not Blog on the thread about the Diamonds in December Promotion he clearly says in two of his replies that ALL C&A members get the extra credit for cruising in December. In one reply to someone who stated they are Platinum C&A -

xxxxx, yes all Crown & Anchor society members will receive one additional Crown & Anchor Society cruise credit for sailing during the December Diamond Celebration.'

Really????? We are sailing in December and this will be our 5th w/RCI (I know I know, we are trying to catch up to all of you;))

That would be great if we got off the ship with 6 credits:D:D:D

The reps probably take turns fielding these questions.

That would explain a lot.

"During December, our Diamond and Diamond Plus members will be recognized and pampered by the entire Royal Caribbean® Crew. In addition, they will receive an extra cruise credit, special commemorative gifts and exclusive offers on future sailings. If you are a Diamond or Diamond Plus member, now is the perfect time to reserve a cruise vacation for December. Below you can find a wide variety of our December sailings. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard."

That's why I wondered what Diamond/+ cruisers thought would be the outcome of this promotion. .

the outcome of this promotion actually effects us all.

Those on the outskirts of diamond.

those gold members just starting a cruise history.

suite guests.

first time cruisers

What they do with the next change touches on us all and not just D or D+

Someone on a first cruise means more sometimes to Royal then a frequent cruiser. They have to please that person for them to return. if they keep promoting lounges where a free pre dinner drink may be had and no seat, overcrowding and as someone stated once-'a regular at the door telling soemone to come back later-to crowded', you really think the program will stay the same. :confused: The future of the current program is growing numbers of people-not less numbers.

I know I'm outnumbered on this thread by folks who don't particulary care for me because I call it like I see it but even some of you have to possibly agree a change is needed?

Unless someone has the inside track at RCI or a crystal ball, no one knows what is going to happen. To keep rehashing it here is useless. I cruise because I enjoy it, not to make a certain level with RCI. If it will make you feel better to get to D+, then by all means book them.

I agree with you 110% on the reason for cruising is the cruise not a loyality level. Having said that, we have on a number of occasions chose RCI vs another cruise line due to the 'incentive' of the benefits of a higher level.

We sailed on Holland America a couple of years ago. First cruise for me on them, second for my DW. I had a great time without any benefits! :)

I do love the benefits on both RCI and Celebrity at the Diamond and Elite levels!

the outcome of this promotion actually effects us all.

Those on the outskirts of diamond.

those gold members just starting a cruise history.

suite guests.

first time cruisers

What they do with the next change touches on us all and not just D or D+

Someone on a first cruise means more sometimes to Royal then a frequent cruiser. They have to please that person for them to return. if they keep promoting lounges where a free pre dinner drink may be had and no seat, overcrowding and as someone stated once-'a regular at the door telling soemone to come back later-to crowded', you really think the program will stay the same. :confused: The future of the current program is growing numbers of people-not less numbers.

I know I'm outnumbered on this thread by folks who don't particulary care for me because I call it like I see it but even some of you have to possibly agree a change is needed?

You are absolutely right that changes to the loyalty program touch all of us. But I understood the promotion was to give extra credits to only D and D+. Then, with the rumors of changes to the program from some very reliable CC posters, I guessed that D and D+ who were booking back to back to back in December were anticipating those changes, and didn't want to be on the outside looking in after the changes were made. That's why I asked what they thought. People have implied that it is a huge outlay of cash just to climb up the loyalty food chain, but look at the prices for short cruises out of Florida early in December, and you'll see that you could pile up some credits pretty quickly, and still be home for the holidays with your family. We only cruised Disney when we started cruising. Then we booked a last minute cruise on the Mariner and were off and running. We were on our 3rd RC cruise before we paid attention enough to realize that "Diamond" was a loyalty level, and not a couple of angry ladies on a family reunion cruise who stood by the elevators and complained relentlessly. "I am a Diamond and . . . " We thought they were the Diamond sisters!:p You'll never hear me complaining about the perks that Royal Caribbean chooses to give me, but I will ask questions about them, and I look forward happily to each new level that we sail into! We're off tomorrow on the Grandeur in an aft cabin. I'm off to pack some old beach towels so I don't sit in the soot! (learned that on these boards.):D

It just seems so counter-intuitive to be giving us extra credits when so many loyal cruisers say that the reason for possible upcoming changes is that there are too many Diamond and Diamond+ cruisers, which I don't doubt at all!

Aside from the CL overcrowding, what other problems are the current number of Diamond/Diamond+ cruisers causing?

Have you considered the December Diamond/+ promotion may be a precursor to the rumored changes in January? Just a thought. :)

Hey Kewlguy - I've read your posts before and know that you are a reliable poster - What have you heard about the Jan 1 changes? I will be Diamond plus after my Oct cruise and am hoping I am not going to get dinged again.

Thanks

Hey Kewlguy - I've read your posts before and know that you are a reliable poster - What have you heard about the Jan 1 changes? I will be Diamond plus after my Oct cruise and am hoping I am not going to get dinged again.

Thanks

I know many on this board don't like speculation but since you asked: I've heard major changes are coming to the loyalty program in January. This includes the way cruise credits are earned as well as increasing the credits needed to attain each level. I also heard of another level being added between Platinum and Diamond. Betsy O’Rourke, senior vice president of marketing for Royal Caribbean International was quoted in an article stating more changes are coming and "any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

I know many on this board don't like speculation but since you asked: I've heard major changes are coming to the loyalty program in January. This includes the way cruise credits are earned as well as increasing the credits needed to attain each level. I also heard of another level being added between Platinum and Diamond. Betsy O’Rourke, senior vice president of marketing for Royal Caribbean International was quoted in an article stating more changes are coming and "any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

Thanks - I sure hope I will still be D+ and be permitted in the CL.

Aside from the CL overcrowding, what other problems are the current number of Diamond/Diamond+ cruisers causing?

I agree. And, the overcrowding is not on every ship. Seriously, we may be talking about a few hundred people out of MILLIONS of cruisers. And, we are hearing about this from maybe 12 people here on CruiseCritic?

I don't think there are other problems.

You will get an extra cruise credit for any cruises you take during December. Even if the cruise begins in late November if it concludes in December you'll qualify for the extra credit.
I think the cruise must begin in December. We are sailing on Nov. 28 and I don't think we are eligible.

Since we cruise in the off season, we haven't encountered any over crowding in the CL since last September 1st.
We cruised on FOS on Aug. 15. The DL was not crowded, especially for late seating. It had more people prior to the early seating but not enough that folks could not find seats.

Have to agree about the overcrowding. I have had no overcrowding at all since being a D member back in 2005 and a D+ member since 2007. Only issue was on a recent cruise where there were 100 D+ members onboard and the CL got jammed. They made the mistake of not opening up an overflow lounge until the 3rd night - and the problem was thus solved.

I am under the impression that D+ will remain the highest level in the society. Thus, the number of credits to obtain this status will also increase, BUT, those already in the category will be grandfathered. They will NOT take the CL away, because they know that would cause an uproar even larger than the D member fiasco. Also, there are not reasons to end that benefit - overcrowding is not an issue and they are saving BIG $$$ by only serving a full bar to D+/Suite guests, which only make up about 6%-10% of the overall guests onboard. Prior to the April 2009 changes, approx. 25%-30% of all guests onboard got free cocktails. I expect some small new benefits will be added, but nothing major since they just did a benefit overhaul in June.

I would imagine their main focus will be in the D member category. They lost alot of clients back in April 2009, so upping the tier level requirements and adding some new, valuable benefits will make D status an appealing allure to get guests back onboard ships.

I agree with Kewlguy about Plat Plus level. Makes total since to bridge the gap between the Plat & Diamond levels @ the new tier level requirements.

Think of the January changes as policy changes, while the June changes should be viewed as benefit changes. Just my thoughts from a business perspective. I have no inside info to substantiate my thoughts above.

On the Voyager class ships, I wish they would remodel the sports bar that is located in the Viking Crown. That area is under-utilized and could easily be transformed into a Diamond Club. That would be a great PR move on the par of RCCL.

I think the cruise must begin in December. We are sailing on Nov. 28 and I don't think we are eligible.

You will get two cruise credits for your Nov. 28 cruise if you are D or D+; don't know about Platinum or Gold. We have gotten clarification of just about every aspect of the "Diamonds in December" promotion by e-mail since we wanted to reach 49+ before Jan. We are one of those doing B2B2B2B2B to get those extra credits. In our case, we dropped a 14 day Celebrity to do 18 days on the Radiance for about the same price. With the "D in D" promo we will go from 39 Credits to 50 by years end which includes three other fall curises we booked quite some time ago. Better safe than sorry if things actually do change with the benefits program next year.

My first cruise was in Feb 2005 - I remember meeting someone from CC in the Miami terminal building and looking at her Diamond pin....wondering if I would EVER get there too? I didn't even realize there was a level about Diamond! :eek: Fast forward to now......I am Diamond Plus and I don't live in Florida or have the ability to do short cruises to earn C&A credits. I got where I am by cruising a few times a year (including several B2B's) and always in a suite. I didn't start off booking a suite because I knew anything about cruise credits, I booked the suite because I wanted the extra space. I earned my C&A status fair and square. I doubt highly that RCI is going to mess with current D+ members perks......I think we will be grandfathered as one poster already suggested. If that is not the case, I can pretty much guarantee that my love affair with Royal will come to an abrupt halt.

My first cruise was in Feb 2005 - I remember meeting someone from CC in the Miami terminal building and looking at her Diamond pin....wondering if I would EVER get there too? I didn't even realize there was a level about Diamond! :eek: Fast forward to now......I am Diamond Plus and I don't live in Florida or have the ability to do short cruises to earn C&A credits. I got where I am by cruising a few times a year (including several B2B's) and always in a suite. I didn't start off booking a suite because I knew anything about cruise credits, I booked the suite because I wanted the extra space. I earned my C&A status fair and square. I doubt highly that RCI is going to mess with current D+ members perks......I think we will be grandfathered as one poster already suggested. If that is not the case, I can pretty much guarantee that my love affair with Royal will come to an abrupt halt.

Just wondering what you mean by "fair and square"?

You will get two cruise credits for your Nov. 28 cruise if you are D or D+; don't know about Platinum or Gold. We have gotten clarification of just about every aspect of the "Diamonds in December" promotion by e-mail since we wanted to reach 49+ before Jan. We are one of those doing B2B2B2B2B to get those extra credits. In our case, we dropped a 14 day Celebrity to do 18 days on the Radiance for about the same price. With the "D in D" promo we will go from 39 Credits to 50 by years end which includes three other fall curises we booked quite some time ago. Better safe than sorry if things actually do change with the benefits program next year.
Who did you email to get this info.? thanks we are D+

Just wondering what you mean by "fair and square"?

I'm not ckrobyn or even their stunt double. I think there is a perception that a lot of us Florida types just sit outside the terminal entrance at Port Canaveral and jump in a JS on the Monarch for 12 weekend cruises. Then SHAZAAAM.... we're D+! Of course then there are those who inherited the status from the parents or married into it. As for me, I got mine the hard way!!:p;)

Archived