The Quest for Diamond Plus

I've read so many posts about the Loyalty Program, and the changes that will or won't happen. It's made me think that I should push forward and book a couple of December cruises while onboard next week to hit Diamond+ before anything changes. But, if the CL and Diamond Lounges are crowded as it is, how is giving extra credits to those already Diamond going to help? If those credits push us over to Diamond Plus, and the program changes again after the first of the year, isn't there a good chance that the CL will be closed to the D+ cruisers? I'm afraid that I may be swept up in a genious marketing blitz that's going to blow up in my face when they don't Grandfather the Diamond + cruisers or when they change the perks again. There seem to be so many Diamond+ posters on this board. Do you see this coming? :confused:

Unless someone has the inside track at RCI or a crystal ball, no one knows what is going to happen. To keep rehashing it here is useless. I cruise because I enjoy it, not to make a certain level with RCI. If it will make you feel better to get to D+, then by all means book them.

But, if the CL and Diamond Lounges are crowded as it is, how is giving extra credits to those already Diamond going to help?

If they are already crowded-why spend thousands of dollars on a few more cruises to make sure you can already go to crowded lounges??:confused:

well if youre the type of person who likes to climb and is enticed by the thought of reaching the Diamond Plus status.. go for it. I have spent thousands of $$ climbing too... dont really regret it... yet. Life is too short. The D and C lounges are so wonderful!

Not a climber, just somebody who asked the Diamond+ members of the board if they saw the numbers in the CL and DL growing so large that they were likely to get shut out again if RC was giving extra credits to "pull" them in. By the way, when we cruise in Suites, we don't use the CL, often because there is no seating in the evening and we don't drink coffee during the day, two reasons that people seem to like to use the lounge. :D Gotta love this board.

Not a climber, just somebody who asked the Diamond+ members of the board if they saw the numbers in the CL and DL growing so large that they were likely to get shut out again if RC was giving extra credits to "pull" them in. By the way, when we cruise in Suites, we don't use the CL, often because there is no seating in the evening and we don't drink coffee during the day, two reasons that people seem to like to use the lounge. :D Gotta love this board.

I have never had an issue with over crowding to the point where I could not get a seat in the Cl or Dl. Besides isnt that the Idea? I mean RCI should be pleased they have so many Diamond members... they are a loyal bunch and love to cruise. Plus all the free advertizing Diamond members give when we tell our friends, co-workers and family of our cruises.

You won't be the only one doing it. I have read several roll calls where folks are doing B2B2B2B etc. to pile on some credits before the changes. I see nothing wrong with it. December will be a great time with the extra credit being offered. As for crowding it depends on the ship and time of year. We have not seen a lot of over crowding. Enjoy your cruises.

We cruised on Explorer last Christmas during a Diamond event and it was very nearly our last cruise with royal Caribbean. One of the things which really disappointed me was the removal of Concierge access for diamond members. The pre-dinner bar served really awful white wine and a "champagne", everything else you had to pay for.

It was the catalyst for my joining Cruise Critic where I discovered the changes had been discussed to death already.

Anyway - forward to July on Independence of the Seas (a big family cruise) and we were absolutely delighted to find it was business as usual in the diamond lounge. Full service bar, coffee machine during the day, a quiet continental breakfast and so on. It really added the extra little touch to what was probably one of our best ever cruises.

We have now turned Diamond Plus and have to say on Independence that cruise didn't miss not having access to the Concierge lounge because the diamond lounge was so good. Could that be the answer, to roll out really good diamond lounges on all the ships ?

Henry :)

You won't be the only one doing it. I have read several roll calls where folks are doing B2B2B2B etc. to pile on some credits before the changes. I see nothing wrong with it. December will be a great time with the extra credit being offered. As for crowding it depends on the ship and time of year. We have not seen a lot of over crowding. Enjoy your cruises.

Yep and a year from now we will be reading posts from D+ who are ticked that RCI has moved them out of the CL to be with the Diamonds due to overcrowding issues in the CL. RCI continues to dig themselves deeper into a hold with this CL garbage.

I seriously doubt RCI intends to "roll out" Diamond lounges on ships that do not have one built in already. All the Freedom class and Oasis class shiips have both CL's and DL's. And yes, the DL's are larger and more attractive than the CL's.

Yep and a year from now we will be reading posts from D+ who are ticked that RCI has moved them out of the CL to be with the Diamonds due to overcrowding issues in the CL. RCI continues to dig themselves deeper into a hold with this CL garbage.

I have to agree with you on this. I for one enjoy the CL and we do use it daily. If were taken away we we not be thrilled but what can you do? We cruise for more reasons than using the CL.

I just think/hope that the number of folks piling up the credits will not be too significant and things will remain as they are. Cross your fingers.

If the DL gets crowded they move to an overflow lounge to accommodate more people.

CL's are usually crowded, depending on when you go. I think around 8PM before late seating it's cleared out somewhat.

What is nice is to have the choice as a D+: if the ship has both a DL and a CL, then you can go to either one.

I like the gift the D+ level gives you. It's nice to have a bottle of wine or champagne in your cabin. I've given the tote bags to various family and my cruising buddy, and have one myself. Great bag.

I also like the priority seating at the shows: that will be more convenient for us.

I think D+ gets an extra laundry perk, too. Free bag of wash and fold.

I have been offered a D+ upgrade, and on a b2b I asked for one for the second cruise and was upgraded to a JS.

If it's not a lot of money, and you go this December when the extra credit and perks are available, go for it!

The extras aren't big, but they are nice to have.

OP, your guess is as good as anyone else would be able to determine what will be done in the future. The Concierge Lounge was worth it to me to reach Diamond Plus after the September 2009 changes, so I stuck with Royal Caribbean.

I believe the key to any of this concern about D/D+ levels is that one should cruise because they can afford it and they love it (or like it). Signing up for cruises just to chase the credits is not reasonable as far as getting a future payback from RCI for all the money spent.

Now on the other hand, we have booked b2b2b2b on Radiance in December. Would I do it on the Monarch, no. But we really like the Radiance; it has moved to a port very close to our home; and we consider it an extra treat to receive additional credits that may or may not benefit us in the future.

It worked out well for us. We already had 21 cruise credits and had the Liberty of the Sea booked for September and the Oasis booked in November so we would be one credit short so I talked my wife into changing from a D1 to JS guarantee on the Liberty to get the extra credit. It cost me about $400 total to do this and we ended up with a GS so it worked out very well for us. Of course now we find we out because of the Diamond Celebration we would get an extra credit anyhow because our Oasis cruise actually ends in December. But very pleased to try a GS.

I cruise because I enjoy it, not to make a certain level with RCI. If it will make you feel better to get to D+, then by all means book them.

I agree. I'm a 30-something D+ and every single one of my repeat cruises with this line was because I enjoyed the previous one so much. D+ is just my reward for cruising so much. :)

Here's the thing about D+. It is great benefit and it is always nice to be recognized as the most elite category of cruiser while onboard. However, don't ever let the "quest" for D+ start to dictate your travel plans. Once that starts happening, the spontanaity of cruising and the joy it brings will quickly begin to vanish.

The benefits are great, but as we found out last April, these benefits are subject to change at a moments notice. Enjoy what you have.

As for the January 2011 changes, the odds are likely, but who knows what that will bring.

are there really extra credits being offered? the mailing I received did not say anything about extra credit. did I miss something?

are there really extra credits being offered? the mailing I received did not say anything about extra credit. did I miss something?

You will get an extra cruise credit for any cruises you take during December. Even if the cruise begins in late November if it concludes in December you'll qualify for the extra credit.

I seriously doubt RCI intends to "roll out" Diamond lounges on ships that do not have one built in already. All the Freedom class and Oasis class shiips have both CL's and DL's. And yes, the DL's are larger and more attractive than the CL's.

With the exception of the Oasis. The CL is outstanding.

Archived