Flight from detroit to barcelona

micruiser12

Next Sept we plan to take our first Med. Cruise out of Barcelona. We will be flying from Detroit. Can anyone recommend the best route to go? We would prefer a nonstop, but don't believe that is offered so then would want to go with a 1 stop. One idea was to fly into Toronto and fly from there to Barcelona. Anyone done that route? What airline is suggested? Can you suggest any better routes? Looking for value, if possible, but need to take a certain amount of luggage as well. What are average prices we can expect to pay?

I've done that route from DTW to BCN via AMS. It's fine provided you have lots of time to make your connecting flights. We flew NorthWest and KLM. Can't say enough good things about KLM. Our flights were arranged through RCI but if I were doing it again, it would certainly be out of Toronto. I haven't checked the flights in quite a while but the two airlines that stood out were Air Canada and Swiss Air. The only airline I'd never book under any circumstances would be Air Transat.

Next Sept we plan to take our first Med. Cruise out of Barcelona. We will be flying from Detroit. Can anyone recommend the best route to go? We would prefer a nonstop, but don't believe that is offered so then would want to go with a 1 stop. One idea was to fly into Toronto and fly from there to Barcelona. Anyone done that route? What airline is suggested? Can you suggest any better routes? Looking for value, if possible, but need to take a certain amount of luggage as well. What are average prices we can expect to pay?

if you're looking for non-stop; TS/Air Transat and AC/Air Canada both fly YYZ-BCN

However, you're not going find anything on prices this far out. I would suggest you start looking again sometime around Christmas. Most major airlines post schedules 330 days out.

I've done that route from DTW to BCN via AMS. It's fine provided you have lots of time to make your connecting flights. We flew NorthWest and KLM. Can't say enough good things about KLM. Our flights were arranged through RCI but if I were doing it again, it would certainly be out of Toronto. I haven't checked the flights in quite a while but the two airlines that stood out were Air Canada and Swiss Air. The only airline I'd never book under any circumstances would be Air Transat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious though. What's wrong with Air Transat? I have never heard of them.

we did Air Canada to Barcelona a couple of weeks ago and booked October 2009 and got a great deal 1 adult and 2 kids for $2400 total taxes in Cad but I was checking daily and never saw anything that close.

flights were fine, check in was crazy in Toronto make sure to be there 3 hours early.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious though. What's wrong with Air Transat? I have never heard of them.

Air Transat is a charter airline in Canada that flys domestically, to the US and Europe, often with very good fares. I've flown on them several times in the past but only to Florida. Nothing in the last 10 years. They are on my personal no-fly list. They use older planes, have a not-so-great maintenance record, snarky cabin crew, unrecognizable food and several incidents that would make your hair stand on end. Some of these I have witnessed myself, some I've seen on the news. Running out of fuel over the Atlantic and gliding into either the Azores or Canary Island (can't remember which) is one that stands out. They only made it due to the experience of the pilot. :eek:

Air Transat is a charter airline in Canada that flys domestically, to the US and Europe, often with very good fares. I've flown on them several times in the past but only to Florida. Nothing in the last 10 years. They are on my personal no-fly list. They use older planes, have a not-so-great maintenance record, snarky cabin crew, unrecognizable food and several incidents that would make your hair stand on end. Some of these I have witnessed myself, some I've seen on the news. Running out of fuel over the Atlantic and gliding into either the Azores or Canary Island (can't remember which) is one that stands out. They only made it due to the experience of the pilot. :eek:

Ok, you've convinced me to avoid Air Transat! Not sure if we should drive to Toronto and take a flight from there non-stop or fly from Detroit to Toronto and then on to Barcelona. Anyone else done this before? Is airport in Toronto that busy the end of Sept?

Take DL from DTW to AMS, then connect to BCN.

Advantages:

1) Multiple flights from DTW to AMS daily, along with many other DL options for reroutes within North America to get you across the pond.

2) A330 equipment across the pond, which is a relatively comfortable aircraft in coach - including AVOD.

3) Multiple connections available through AMS (or even CDG if need be) on KL/AF in case of IROPS.

4) AMS is a very efficient airport - large and sprawling, but very "English-friendly" and designed as a transit hub.

Another option would be DL to either JFK or ATL, then non-stop to BCN. I'd vote against that for three reasons:

1) Flight from DTW to JFK is on a CRJ. You have choices - enough said.

2) Flights from either to BCN are on a 767, which is less appealing (to me) than the A330. The 767 is an excellent choice when you have THREE people traveling (you can take up an entire middle row to yourself), but no better for a couple.

3) There is only one flight JFK-BCN and ATL-BCN per day. If you have a problem, you'll likely have to be rerouted through AMS or CDG anyhow, and with less options.

Of course, there are many other options/options as well. Being near a DL hub, I would look to leveraging that power to my benefit.

Ok, you've convinced me to avoid Air Transat! Not sure if we should drive to Toronto and take a flight from there non-stop or fly from Detroit to Toronto and then on to Barcelona. Anyone else done this before? Is airport in Toronto that busy the end of Sept?

Air Transat really isn't as bad as this poster is making out. Yes, they had a problem with a fuel leak mid-atlantic, and landed their (brand new) A330 at Lajes on the Azores. To my knowledge they've had two incidents, one with the A330 as noted, and another rudder issue on an A310 where the USA refused permission to land at Miami because the aircraft was enroute from Cuba (to Canada); the aircraft turned around and landed back in Cuba

Their fleet is newer A330 and older A310s; and while their economy class is tight, they offer, for not a lot more (200-400) money a premium economy which is an excellent value with free wine, better luggage allowance, more legroom etc etc

You can pay a lot more money and get a lot worse; but basing

I'm a firm believer in doing your own homework such as an online search. I consider Scottbee to be a knowledgeable poster on this board and value his opinions. We just disagree on this one. After reading his post I did a quick Google search by typing in Air Transat Incidents. This was one of the first results. http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/transat.htm No matter who gives their opinion, you should always look for yourself because it is just that - an opinion.

Unfortunately Toronto's Pearson International airport (YYZ) is pretty busy anytime. Even so, it's certainly doable. Leave yourself plenty of time and you should be just fine.

It looks like we can't fly nonstop from Toronto unless we use Air Transat and don't want to do that. Our travel agent suggested we fly Detroit to paris and change planes there. What do you think of Airfrance and paris airport? Is 3 hours enough time for a stopover there?

It looks like we can't fly nonstop from Toronto unless we use Air Transat and don't want to do that. Our travel agent suggested we fly Detroit to paris and change planes there. What do you think of Airfrance and paris airport? Is 3 hours enough time for a stopover there?

Yes, three hours is a good connection time at CDG.

... Running out of fuel over the Atlantic and gliding into either the Azores or Canary Island (can't remember which) is one that stands out. They only made it due to the experience of the pilot. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Not to be confused with Air Canada's famed "Gimli Glider" that made a similar landing while running out of fuel over land on a domestic flight -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Our travel agent suggested we fly Detroit to paris and change planes there. What do you think of Airfrance and paris airport? Is 3 hours enough time for a stopover there?

CDG is my personal "no-fly zone" and would never want to connect there again (had 3 out of 3 missed connections of > 3 hour window). YMMV though...

John

AC/Air Canada also fly YYZ-BCN non-stop (actually in the winter it might be YYZ-YUL-BCN direct (same plane, just a quick pick up addl passengers in Montreal)

One incident does not make an airline safe or unsafe; the numbers are way too small to be statistically significant. Let's remember every US major airline has had an accident causing a loss of life; something TS/Air Transat hasn't. In, they've never even written off a plane....

LAX via Europe to BCN..since I can't sleep on a plane would this be a better option ?.Seems a little long and out of the way and what about the cost vs domestic route to BCN ?...Your post #8 about aircraft..Did I misunderstand CRJ or 767 ?

Lots of folks simply hate CDG. I don't find it as bad as all that (perhaps because I know it well enough to get around easily). The only real advantage of CDG over AMS s a shorter flight to BCN (not that it is all that much shorter). Unless it was considerably less expensive or flight times were significantly better, I would definitely choose the connection through AMS. Besides, do you see how the Dutch played in the World Cup and how the French played? :)

Lots of folks simply hate CDG. I don't find it as bad as all that (perhaps because I know it well enough to get around easily). The only real advantage of CDG over AMS s a shorter flight to BCN (not that it is all that much shorter). Unless it was considerably less expensive or flight times were significantly better, I would definitely choose the connection through AMS. Besides, do you see how the Dutch played in the World Cup and how the French played? :)

So flying through AMS is a better option than CDG? Can we get by with a 3 hour layover time or should we look for a longer layover? Is it better to have the stopover in AMS vs. somewhere in the States? I was trying to avoid the busiest airports in the U.S. such as JFK and a few others. Any suggestions experience with KLM, Swiss Air, Lufthansa, Air France? Which airline best overall?

Thanks so much to everyone that have been offering their input regarding this flight. It is helping me realize what other choices we have and what might work best for us.

So flying through AMS is a better option than CDG? Can we get by with a 3 hour layover time or should we look for a longer layover? Is it better to have the stopover in AMS vs. somewhere in the States? I was trying to avoid the busiest airports in the U.S. such as JFK and a few others. Any suggestions experience with KLM, Swiss Air, Lufthansa, Air France? Which airline best overall?

Thanks so much to everyone that have been offering their input regarding this flight. It is helping me realize what other choices we have and what might work best for us.

I have flown Air France,Lufthansa and KLM. I have never flown Swiss Air but I would without a problem.I much prefer these airlines over the U.S carriers for overseas flights. The food is usually better and I enjoy the free wine and beer in coach.Amsterdam is one of my favorite airports and I would definitely prefer changing flights in Amsterdam over Atlanta or JFK(Hate JFK). Amsterdam is supposed to be the best airport in Europe and I have flown thru there 4 times without problems. Three hours should be plenty of time there. I also avoid CDG as it is really awful as is Heathrow.

JMHO!

Archived