what bottoms to wear w/ tankini top (plus size)?

mowb07

My cousin and I recently returned from a cruise where all she did was fret about how she looked in her one piece suit. She is plus sized (size 20) and tall (5'11") and having been plus sized as a teen myself, I definitely sympathized with her lack of self esteem throughout the week.

Anyways, here's the question - she just called me to tell me she is thinking about booking another cruise in the coming months to the Caribbean, where she will have more occasions to wear her swimsuit than on the cruise we just took. She wants to wear a tankini top with either longer board shorts or a swimskirt this time instead of the one piece and asked my advice. I told her i'd post it for all of you brilliant folks here and let her know what you all think will look good. If you have any other suggestions, they are welcome too as I'm pretty sure she'll be lurking to see what you all think!

By the way, she's 28 yrs old, and the tankini top she is thinking of buying is a ruched halter top in either blue or another funky color.

Thanks in advance for your help! I just want her to enjoy herself on vacation and feel good about herself! :)

I ran into the same problem (well kind of.. I am top heavy and curvy) so it is hard to find something that you feel comfy in and not think that everyone is staring. Tell her to go to Land's End (kind of expensive) but they have really cute tops and some skirts. Last year I got mine from Victoria Secret (mainly looking for support up top) and that was a disaster and had to wear a tank top over it. I noticed that halter tops don't do well for top heavy people. I like the kind with the straps on the side. This year I mixed and matched from different stores. I got some boyshorts and some tops on sale from target and lands end. I also bought a redskins suit but I will have a shirt over it. She paid all that money for a trip and should enjoy it. This year I figure if they don't like looking at me then stop looking or pay me the amount of money I spent for the trip and I will leave. Just my personal opinion.

I'm so glad she enjoyed the cruise and is considering another! Cruising is addictive... I'm sure she'll find that out soon enough. ;)

If I may make a suggestion, I just bought a couple suits from an online company and they are fabulous. I'm not plus sized but the site serves women of all sizes and has a vast selection for everyone. I bought two "swimdresses", which are absolutely adorable. I feel they give better coverage than a tankini would because they are a one piece, yet the little skirt covers the rear and upper thighs - something most of us are concerned about.

Here is the link and I might suggest she have a look; they do have tankinis and skirts, as well as many other styles. Plus, they are always giving online discounts - I managed to get three coupon codes for a total of 23 percent off my total. Yea!

Here you go ---> http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/

She wants to wear a tankini top with either longer board shorts or a swimskirt this time instead of the one piece and asked my advice. :)

dont see what is wrong with that and if she got a top in a pattern with more colors she could have more choices for the bottoms.

tell her dont worry:)BE HAPPY she is CRUISIN!!:D

I usually have 2-3 tankini tops to go with black swim shorts (or skirt, but I prefer the shorts). These are not board shorts - swim shorts are a little baggier and forgiving. I usually bring 2 pair of swim shorts with me in case one is still wet from the day before.

Kohl's has the most amazing swim shorts in a nylon quick-dry material. They are long enough to cover everything, but short enough to be stylish. They flatter everyone, regardless of size. (Get the ones with the snap and velcro closing; they are longer and fit better.) And they are available as separates in black, brown, or navy, so she can mix and match to her heart's content wih various tops. She may not find them in the stores because it is the end of season and little inventory remains, but she can try online.

And if she finds a pair, I promise you will want them, too! Good luck!

I'm just about the same size as your cousin - 5'10.5" and size 20. My favorite style of swimwear is sarong style. It's not quite as much as a full swimdress, but the small skirt covers up just enough of the bumpy thigh flesh that no one wants to see including me. I have purchased several from swimsuitsforall.com. I also have a tankini, but the bottom is just a brief, not shorts or skirt. I thought those made me look even larger than I already do.

Woman Within online sells several different types of swim shorts. They have the boy short type, loser type as well as longer board shorts. I only wear shorts and tankini tos and always buy from them. I don't like wearing skirts so the different short options is perfect for me!

I got my swim shorts from Outdoor world but they are Columbia brand. They are called water shorts. I love them because of all the pockets and the pockets are sewn to create kind of a seam down the front, hard to describe but slimming. I love them because they are mid thigh and don't show a lot of "stuff". I had no luck at all with board shorts, they all hit right below the belly button which is on a downward curve so they would end up right above my hoochie. I wear tanki tops and then take/wear a tank top over that until I get to the water.

The problem I had with skirted styles was a cover up - the skirt is not long enough to wear to the buffett or anyplace other than the pool and most coverups then just made my bottom part look even heavier. I did order the womanwithin straight skirt with a slit mentioned earlier, hoping a sun dress over it will not look too bottom heavy.

One big point, remind your friend that almost ALL of the people on her cruise will be worried about how THEY look, not how she looks. If she is comfortable and having a good time nobody will ever notice what she is wearing. ;)

Here's my 2cents worth. I am a plus size on top, but I have no "butt".. the best fitting top would be a 20 bottom 16. I'm older so my solution probably won't be worth beans, but I picked up three cute tankini tops that fit. No halter can hold up these babies without severe neck pain. No halters. I bought three one black one white, and one black and white. Then I strolled over to the mens section and picked up two black bottoms. They fit well, and I made sure to get the plain ones that look like running shorts, in black, yes they are mens swimtrunks but who will know? or care? . . Everything is mix and match, and should cover my 60+ year old body enough for me to not be embarrassed. Sure was alot cheaper than most swimsuit's out there..

I also buy my swimsuits from Lands End, I find that the bottoms have more fabric in them so that my big asset doesn't hang out! I use to worry about what I looked like in my swimsuit but after a few cruises I saw women all shapes and sizes and I wasn't so self conscious!

I recently bought this bathing suit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B30EQ8/ref=oss_product

I have a large bust (somewhere between D and DD!) and this top actually holds the girls in just fine and it's kinda like a halter top so it's till cute and not so industrial looking.

I have another tankini skirt that's Ralph Lauren (yes it was expensive but worth it!) that's actually 3 peices. It has regular bottoms and a skirt so you can remove the skirt part if you want.

I definitely have to chime in with the others and say that honestly, nobody cares what you look like. We women are our own worst critics which is really kinda sad. :(

I also buy my swimsuits from Lands End, I find that the bottoms have more fabric in them so that my big asset doesn't hang out! I use to worry about what I looked like in my swimsuit but after a few cruises I saw women all shapes and sizes and I wasn't so self conscious!

I agree about Land's End. I just bought some swim shorts there size 12 and was afraid they'd be too snug but they were actually on the loose side. I'll save them for near the end of my cruise to compensate for all the eating I plan to do! But seriously, they are having a pretty good sail right now.

I have a few pairs of Lands End separates (on sale now! Check out the Overstocks section of their website, and sign up for their emails - you'll get free shipping offers every day) I have a great tankini top that is underwire DD size 16 - It's pink & white floral, I wear with blue swim shorts I got at the LL Bean outlet in Williamsburg VA for $8. I like a solid bottom with patterned top - easier for me to mix & match. I have another pair of swim shorts I bought at Sears years ago - no idea the brand (one of their store brands I think ) and I need to replace the snap but not quite sure how - might have to enlist someone with far better sewing skills:p

As another chesty woman - I have a couple halter top swimsuits I'll wear (including one from Lands End) but I wear them for no more than lounging - even if the suit is big enough to fit the girls, it's not supportive. The underwire tank I have is far better if I'm actually making any movements:D

On behalf of my cousin (who refuses to post here for reasons too obscure to mention, lol) I want to thank all of you for these excellent suggestions.

To update - they've booked a november cruise and not only has she decided to bring a suit she has also promised herself she won't be a negative nelly about what she looks like. So thank you all once again for the kind words, support and shopping options!!!

She has ordered a couple of tankini tops and swim shorts from Lands End and also will look into swimsuitsforall.com and womanwithin. She looked at Kohls.com but couldn't find the swimshorts! Must be done for the season. I guess zappos.com also has sme ruched tommy bahama tankini tops and although they are expensive, I think she is considering them if they have her size because they got great reviews!

On a side note - I'm going on a cruise w/ my inlaws in a couple of weeks and although I probably won't get much of a chance to wear a suit due to the itineray I like the idea of the swimshorts to go w/ my bikini tops as it seems a bit more modest. This is not to say I usually look immodest - not at all, I usually wear boyshorts bikini bottoms but hey, I'm cruising w/ my inlaws LOL! I'm just waiting for my cousin's swimshorts from lands end to come in then if I like them I'll order them myself!

Thanks again!! :)

I like a lower rise skirted bottom with a little slit on one side, skirt barely covers bottom, but gives me a lot more confidence, I definitely wear a sarong or pareo when walking around, I just am not comfortable walking around without one.

I like the exact same thing. The skirt covers just enough and isn't long enough to look dowdy. Tell your friend to wear what makes her feel comfortable and have fun!

I have a tankini top from Lands end and pair it with men's board shorts for the longer thigh-length. I need more coverage not just from a fashion-sense (ok, this much cottage cheese could cause a serious reaction if viewed by lactose intolerant fellow-swimmers) but for more sun protection. I'll check the Outdoor World water shorts - sounds like a good alternative!

Archived