Partitions between cove balconies

bender031177

I think they wouldnt open the partitions. My reasoning being that they have to leave the windows/doors so they can be closed in case the ship runs into high waves. They need to be able to close up the balconys doors. They are on deck 2. I was on riveria on ecstasy and 25 ft plus waves were splashing onto the window for over 24 hours ..so there are going to be times they might want to close the cove balconys too

I sailed on the Dream in February...when I booked three cabins I has asked Carnival if the coves opened and I was told no so I went aft instead....I do know that Host Mach had a cove on the Dream on his CTN...maybe he could confirm whether or not they open up.

we had ours opened on the miracle. standard balcony. we asked for it when we booked. room steward had nothing to do with it, they sent 2 maintenance workers on our second sea day. this was last week.

The Miracle does not have cove balconies

They will not open the dividers on the cove balconies. They went through and opened them all when they needed to close the sea doors over our balcony door so they had one long shot...they closed the dividers after they sealed our doors. EM

the picture on the web you are speaking of the partitions being open was from when they were building the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1092320&highlight=mach+cove+balcony&page=2

see post 75 for a picture of the divider and room pictures and a swell review.

the dividers (from what i have heard over and over on the boards) only close or can be closed when there is heavy/extreme weather.

I will find out at the begining of October more firsthand.

The doors onto the balconies are at the side. The partition on the door side of the balcony is the sealer for the door...if you open it, you block the door, so you couldn't get out onto the balcony. The partition on the window side would cover about 3/4 of the window. EM

We cruised last December in adjoining cabins, the dividers do not open. Before we left Carnival told me they did, new ship not enough info. I asked to have the dividers opened and our stewart said no, not possible. The one cabin door would be blocked and we would not have a window on the other. This is first hand experience. That was the only disadvantage of the cove balcony, the dividers open would have been great since we had our 3 grandkids in one cabin and DH and I were in the other.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. I think we've established that they in fact can be opened, but have in the past refused to do so. I think we'll give it a try on our cruise. We don't mind if one of our windows is partially blocked as long as the door isn't. We have 3 cove balconies in a row so there will be one we can open without blocking a door.

Please explain what a cove balcony is exactly?

It is a balcony on the main deck of the Dream (and other lines have them) built into the hub of the ship. They have more coverage and can be shut off if the sea gets bad since they are so close to the water. If you google cove balcony I know that there is at least one utube out there showing how close you are to the water, the waves, etc etc.

Thanks for the answer. Now does anyone know what other ships these are on if any? And are they cheaper than the regular balconies (like the obstructed view are)? How many of you have had them and had them close them off?

A cove is larger, wider then a regular balcony. It is also more private then a lot of the balcony cabins on the dream,. The life boats are above you so no one can look down on you. Ours was very quiet, but we did have good neighbors. The only thing you have to see is the ocean, which is great. We loved our cove so much that we are booed again for November. Except for the aft wrap and C deck balcony we had on Princess it is our favorite, much better then a regular balcony on Carnival that we have had, and that includes a mini-suite. The Canival Magic will have and I think the Queen Mary has and maybe a few others. Yes they are a little cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived