? For the Sony shooters about a lens...again

After all the debate on what lens I should get for my action photos I started doing research. I now have another question. To recap I have the Sony a200.

Would either of these lenses be good for traveling, when I only have space for 1 lens due to weight and plane travel?

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Sony Alpha & Minolta Maxxum (D) Series

or

Sigma

18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens For Sony Cameras

Can you explain the difference to me as well? Or is there a little better choice for what I am looking for?

Then... I found this lens which seems decent but the price is really cheap so that means it is not that good of a lens, right? It's only $119.

Sigma

28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact Zoom Autofocus Lens for Sony Alpha & Minolta Maxxum

And then this is the one I found for the action shots? This is the one you all were talking about, right?

Sigma

70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens for Sony Alpha

I really appreciate everyones input and help. I hope to one day take a picture that is equal to one of yours. My dream is to have one of you say you really like one of my pictures. :)

Would either of these lenses be good for traveling, when I only have space for 1 lens due to weight and plane travel?

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Sony Alpha & Minolta Maxxum (D) Series

or

18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens For Sony Cameras

Can you explain the difference to me as well? Or is there a little better choice for what I am looking for?

Those both would be OK choices...I think between the two I'd recommend the 2nd one as better for overall use as a travel lens. The 28-300mm Tamron lens has more telephoto - it will see farther into the distance...but also has less of a wide angle, meaning you have to stand back farther to get wide subjects to fit in the frame. With the 28-300, when travelling, you are going to probably need a little bit more of the wide angle than the telephoto, or you won't be able to shoot room interiors as well, or buildings from across the street. The 18-250mm lens is a very good mix, of a decent wide angle lens that can fit wide subjects in, while still having a powerful zoom for faraway subjects. To put it in "point-and-shoot" camera terms, that Sigma 18-250mm lens is a 14x zoom.

Then... I found this lens which seems decent but the price is really cheap so that means it is not that good of a lens, right? It's only $119.

28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact Zoom Autofocus Lens for Sony Alpha & Minolta Maxxum

It's not that it's not a good lens...it's that it doesn't have much zoom range. It doesn't go very wide, only starting at 28mm, but it also doesn't zoom out very far at only 70mm (it's basically a 2.5x zoom). For an all-purpose travel lens, you probably want a lot more range and flexibility. The Sony version of the 18-250mm lens is what I use, but it's pricey - the Sigma may be a very good option, and seems to review well.

And then this is the one I found for the action shots? This is the one you all were talking about, right?

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens for Sony Alpha

That is a better lens for action or sports for sure - since it has a 'fast' aperture of F2.8. By fast, it means the lens aperture is nice and big, wide open, so it can absorb more light - F2.8 is decent for a lens that can extend to 200mm. Note though, the bigger the aperture, and better/faster the lens, the bigger and heavier the lens will be. You might want to try checking one out in person before you get one to make sure the size would be OK with you. This would be a much larger lens than the 18-250 travel zoom you are looking at!

I really appreciate everyones input and help. I hope to one day take a picture that is equal to one of yours. My dream is to have one of you say you really like one of my pictures. :)

You'll get there! It's all just a matter of learning about your camera, getting the right lenses, practicing a lot, and having a strong interest and desire to get better.

Justin beat me to it.

The 18-250 is a competent travel lens. I personally carry an 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8 when I travel, but I have been carrying a 30 lb camera bag for so many years that it doesn't even register anymore. I may pick up an 18-250 for a walkabout lens just because it offers such a large rang with minimal optical compromise in a terrific compact package.

Dave

If one lense

Tamron 18-270, Sony 18-200, or sigma 18-250, the difference between these are very small and come down to some subtle tradeoffs.

The 28-70 is too limiting IMHO, the 70-200 is just a huge telephoto and even more limiting as a one lense for traveling.

Those both would be OK choices...I think between the two I'd recommend the 2nd one as better for overall use as a travel lens. The 28-300mm Tamron lens has more telephoto - it will see farther into the distance...but also has less of a wide angle, meaning you have to stand back farther to get wide subjects to fit in the frame. With the 28-300, when travelling, you are going to probably need a little bit more of the wide angle than the telephoto, or you won't be able to shoot room interiors as well, or buildings from across the street. The 18-250mm lens is a very good mix, of a decent wide angle lens that can .

To add to this comment about telephoto versus wide angle - if you have decent picture quality, you can always fake a zoom in by cropping your photo. You can never move further back than your environment permits - as several people who have backed up a bit too much at the Grand Canyon have found out.

DON

To add to this comment about telephoto versus wide angle - if you have decent picture quality, you can always fake a zoom in by cropping your photo. You can never move further back than your environment permits - as several people who have backed up a bit too much at the Grand Canyon have found out.

DON

:eek::eek::eek: LMAO! Backing up on the ship = not a good idea! ;)

Archived