New Kindle Wi-Fi....I can put all my cruise info on it!

I received the new 3rd generation of the Kindle and choose the Wi-Fi version.

In planning our cruises I surf the webs, find sites about ports, shopping, private excursions and place any information I want into a word document or save the PDF to my computer along with our itinerary, any lists of things to do or buy before the trip, airline, and hotel info.

I can now have all my documents at my fingertips because I can put them on the Kindle! I am so happy I will not have to sort through page after page of paper.

Lin

I have the Kindle 2, and it can do the same thing. I scanned our passports and emailed them to my Kindle. It's easy and is explained in the instruction book. Kindle 2 can also access the web, but it's slow.

Hi Jo,

I got the $139.00 Wi-Fi only version. Anywhere you go, you can find a free Wi-Fi connection. I have wi-fi at my house so I can upload at home, work, airports, hotels etc. It is so easy!

Thank you. I just order two; one for my sister and one for myself. I don't have Wi-Fi at home but with all the free Wi-Fi places around we should have no trouble downloading books we want to read.

FYI - for those of you, like me, who do not have Wi-Fi at home check to see if your local library has a wi-fi connection that you will be able to use. Then there is also Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.

I've ordered two new Kindle 3G's (one for DH), couldn't wait for Christmas! So I'm now trying to organize the files I want to download onto it once it arrives, including website pages for travel info on our Jan cruise.

I have a question for those of you who have done this from a website.... When I'm on a webpage and click on the toolbar for "Page" then in the box "Save as", it asks for "Type" and "Encoding". Under "type", the choices are .mht, .html (webpage complete), or .html (webpage only), plus .txt. What is the difference between 'webpage complete' html and 'webpage only' html?? :confused:

Also - in the "encoding" box, my system defaults to "UTF-8 Unicode, but there are others, like "windows european, etc. Is the UTF the correct one to use? I'm not really tech-savvy when it comes to this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. I just order two; one for my sister and one for myself. I don't have Wi-Fi at home but with all the free Wi-Fi places around we should have no trouble downloading books we want to read.
I'm not clear on what you mean by this. You don't have to be in a special place or have a special service to download a book to a Kindle. I've bought books at home, I've bought books at work (sometimes in dull meetings), I've bought books while driving down the interstate (well, not while I personally was driving), and last weekend I bought a book somewhere in Virginia while I was on a train.

I did encounter some very remote places out West last summer where I couldn't download new books (I suppose where internet service isn't available).

Personally, though, I prefer to buy my books from the computer. It navigates more quickly, so it's easier to read reviews and see the covers. When you buy from the computer, you then have to make a point to turn on the Kindle's internet service (you'll want to keep it turned off except when you're actively buying -- that saves the battery), and choose "check and sync for new material". I might not've worded that just right, but it's the idea.

FYI - for those of you, like me, who do not have Wi-Fi at home check to see if your local library has a wi-fi connection that you will be able to use. Then there is also Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.

You do not need to be near a wifi connection at all. It is the wifi connection. Just turn the wifi on and order your book. Its thats simply, well not at sea its not.:D

Laura

I've tried visiting CruiseCritic on the Kindle but it's clumsy because it takes awhile to load everyone's cruise tickers, etc (maybe there's a setting in CruiseCritic to turn this off for mobile devices but I haven't found it).

Yes, there's a setting to turn off unwanted "Crayola puke," as a friend of mine calls it. ;) Go to User CP > Edit Options > scroll down to Thread Display Options > uncheck Show Signatures, Show Avatars, and/or Show Images > scroll to bottom and click Save Changes button. Voilà!

Caro

You do not need to be near a wifi connection at all. It is the wifi connection. Just turn the wifi on and order your book. Its thats simply, well not at sea its not.:D

Laura

Thank you. That explains what I was trying to say that MsPete didn't understand. I thought that I needed to be in close proximity to a wireless router but thanks to you now I know I don't have to be.

Yes, there's a setting to turn off unwanted "Crayola puke," as a friend of mine calls it. ;) Go to User CP > Edit Options > scroll down to Thread Display Options > uncheck Show Signatures, Show Avatars, and/or Show Images > scroll to bottom and click Save Changes button. Voilà!

Caro

Caro, hey thanks I never thought of that! That should work out great.

Laura

Caro

Good to know! Thanks, Caro!

Laura

There's a difference between Wifi & 3G. The 3G will work anywhere you can get an AT&T wireless signal. Any K1, K2 or the $189 K3 will work that way.

The Wifi ONLY version (the $139 K3) *does* require that you be near an active wifi signal in order to connect - so at home (if you have a wireless router), Starbucks, etc.

Hope this helps!

There's a difference between Wifi & 3G. The 3G will work anywhere you can get an AT&T wireless signal. Any K1, K2 or the $189 K3 will work that way.

The Wifi ONLY version (the $139 K3) *does* require that you be near an active wifi signal in order to connect - so at home (if you have a wireless router), Starbucks, etc.

Hope this helps!

Ohhh, didn't know that. Thought they all were like the K1 and K2. Not sure I would like that at all.

Laura

Yeah...my DH new K3 should be here on Monday (Sept. 13)!!! When I ordered it for him (birthday present) they said it should ship on Sept. 17. So he will have it when he leaves for China on Saturday. Our DD who is getting his old K2 is very excited also.

Laura

Yeah...my DH new K3 should be here on Monday (Sept. 13)!!! When I ordered it for him (birthday present) they said it should ship on Sept. 17. So he will have it when he leaves for China on Saturday. Our DD who is getting his old K2 is very excited also.

Laura

They told me Sept 17 too, but I haven't heard from them yet as to shipping status - hope it's soon! If I don't receive it in the short 10-day window of time that I'll be at my US residence (in AZ) later this month, I'll have to wait until I go back south again in November. :( I'm praying that the timing will work - maybe I'll call Amazon to make an inquiry (and do a little begging!)

I just had to know when to expect delivery of my new Kindle 3G's, so here is the scoop from Amazon....

"Orders placed before 11 p.m. Pacific Time on August 19th are expected to ship on or before September 10.

Orders placed before 7 p.m. on September 1 are expected to ship on or before September 17.

Orders placed after 7 p.m. Pacific Time on September 1 are expected to ship on or before September 20."

OK, got my Kindle 2 days ago....love it :)

I would have posted earlier but I work Tuesday and Wednesday nights, go to school Thursday nights, not much time left over.

I'm very happy with the leather cover w/reading light, but would give it a 9, not a 10. The last line is hard to read, just a bit too dark, but maybe I'm a bit picky. I've never really had a reading light that illuminated the whole page of any book.

They told me Sept 17 too, but I haven't heard from them yet as to shipping status - hope it's soon! If I don't receive it in the short 10-day window of time that I'll be at my US residence (in AZ) later this month, I'll have to wait until I go back south again in November. :( I'm praying that the timing will work - maybe I'll call Amazon to make an inquiry (and do a little begging!)

The email said it was shipped today so we are to get it on Monday!!!

Laura

I just had to know when to expect delivery of my new Kindle 3G's, so here is the scoop from Amazon....

"Orders placed before 11 p.m. Pacific Time on August 19th are expected to ship on or before September 10.

Orders placed before 7 p.m. on September 1 are expected to ship on or before September 17.

Orders placed after 7 p.m. Pacific Time on September 1 are expected to ship on or before September 20."

I was just checking UPS to look at the tracking info... thought you might find it interesting where it is being shipped from......

PHOENIX, AZ, US 09/10/20107:46 P.M.DEPARTURE SCAN 09/10/20106:25 P.M.ORIGIN SCAN US 09/10/20108:05 P.M.BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVe

Well now, isn't that interesting!! So it appears I've signed up for extra costs for 2-day shipping (on 2 kindles!), and its being sent from where we live. :rolleyes: Oh well, I'll just consider it part of the cost of ensuring I get it on time (I hope!).

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Kindle 2, and it can do the same thing. I scanned our passports and emailed them to my Kindle. It's easy and is explained in the instruction book. Kindle 2 can also access the web, but it's slow.

Not sure I would do that. Is it safe? What if the Kindle gets stolen?

Laura

Thank you. That explains what I was trying to say that MsPete didn't understand. I thought that I needed to be in close proximity to a wireless router but thanks to you now I know I don't have to be.

OK, which is it with Kindle 3 Wi-Fi? I've heard "yes" you need Wi-Fi in your home, and "no" it is the Wi-Fi. I really don't want to have to go sit in a Starbucks to download some books. Can you do so in the home with the Kindle 3G?

With the WiFi you need to be connected to a WiFi network. This could be your home network, a Starbucks hotspot, or something like that. With the Kindle 3G you just need to have an AT&T cellular signal (in the US) or a signal that AT&T roams with (elsewhere). In general, if you're in cellphone range you can get a book or browse the web on the Kindle 3G.

I think the extra $50 is money well spent.

We received our new Kidle 3G's last week, and DH and I both love them.

My opinion, for what its worth:

Easier to read than a book - for size, weight, and print readability (print type can be adjusted to personal preference). We have wi-fi so haven't had a chance to test the 3G capability, but will do that when we travel to Canada tonight. I've loaded many personal docs onto it, either by direct USB copy (pdf format) or emailing Word docs, or Html webpages, etc for conversion using the @free.kindle.com email address supplied with the kindles. It's a breeze to use.

I'd definitely recommend a cover for the kindle. I ordered one with a built-in light and one without (just a plain cover) from Amazon, and had to send back the plain jane. The light is that important!! Makes a big difference in spaces where lighting isn't the best.

If you're not always going to be in a wi-fi area, the 3G model is a must, IMHO. Well worth the extra $50.

Archived