New Kindle Wi-Fi....I can put all my cruise info on it!

I'm not the most technically gifted as you will perhaps appreciate from this question, but with a 'Kindle' would I be able to access my e-mails and reply to them, and also browse the web? Please don't throw your old hard-backs at me.
The kindle has a web browser, but not a very good one (Amazon has it in the "Experimental" section of the Kindle menu, probably to keep expectations down). If a website has a "mobile" version of the pages (low graphics, simple page layouts), this works best. It comes preloaded with bookmarks to appropriate websites (Wikipedia, NY Times, BBC, etc.) and you can add more bookmarks as you go.

I plan to use it to keep an eye on my Yahoo mail during my upcoming cruise. I've tried visiting CruiseCritic on the Kindle but it's clumsy because it takes awhile to load everyone's cruise tickers, etc (maybe there's a setting in CruiseCritic to turn this off for mobile devices but I haven't found it). I know it won't work at sea (mine doesn't have WiFi) but I'm expecting to be able to connect to my email while I'm in port.

Given that it's free of any access charges, it's a great feature, and well worth having along.

What!!!!!!!! There is another message board? Could you provide the name? I am a CC junkie, but always interested in other ideas.

Thanks

tivocommunity.com (you have to create an account to get to the 'happy hour', which is where we all hang out for chatty stuff)

mainsquare.org (this is where we go to talk about the stuff we can't talk about on TC, which has some draconian rules on some topics).

I'm not the most technically gifted as you will perhaps appreciate from this question, but with a 'Kindle' would I be able to access my e-mails and reply to them, and also browse the web? Please don't throw your old hard-backs at me.

As Underwatr says, yes - it's possible. It's painfully slow on 3G (at least on my K2), but it's actually not bad on my WiFi. Of course, it depends on the speed of your wifi also.

Almost anything is less than hard covers, so I'm assuming you are including paperbacks in the "hard copy version"? If prices are less than paperbacks, then that's not so bad. No way am I paying for hard covers.

Not in the reviews and comparisons I read recently (until I was cross-eyed!). Again, maybe I need to keep reading some more. There are many, many differing opinions out there, so its hard to sort them all out as to pros & cons. What one product a reviewer finds terrible, another absolutely adores. Go figure.

Yes, the Kindle versions are cheaper. If the book is only out in hardback, the Kindle version is cheaper than the hardback. If it's out in paperback, the Kindle version is cheaper than the paperback. (There may be some rare exceptions to this, but I haven't noted any yet.) And a vast library of classics are absolutely free of charge.

If you are interested, I can post links to some of the reviews that I recently read.

i don't know how new you are talking but I can email things through my Amazon account and they will download onto my Kindle. I have never plugged by Kindle in. I got my early this spring. Mine does not have wi-fi on it.

I owned a 1st gen and now a 2nd gen. I usually use the freekindle service to convert my docs and I need to plug my kindle into my pc to transfer the docs. I think if I use the paid service then it will automatically download onto my device.

I loaded all my upcoming cruise documents into my new K3 yesterday. I sent them to ------@free.kindle.com. Don't forget to write "convert" in the subject line. Worked perfectly. Transmitted directly to my K3 via WiFi and took no more than 30 seconds for each document at no cost. I also sent several photos. There is no cost when using the -------@free.kindle.com address. I already have 42 books loaded. I don't think that I will be running out of anything to read next week on the Triumph. Waiting to see the look on the the faces at the terminal when I flash my "funpass" on the Kindle.

If you are interested, I can post links to some of the reviews that I recently read.

Thanks for the offer, but I've found umpteen different reviews that I've just spent the last 2 days reading, from many sources. I think my problem now is geographically related. I live in Canada most of year, and I'm trying to find out if I can do downloads outside of the US (from Canada, UK, SA, etc) on a Kindle or Nook that is purchased in the USA. I know that both have made some ebook titles available in Canada, if you buy your ereader in Canada, but I'm wondering what will happen if I buy my device in the USA while I'm there in Sept.

Thanks for the offer, but I've found umpteen different reviews that I've just spent the last 2 days reading, from many sources. I think my problem now is geographically related. I live in Canada most of year, and I'm trying to find out if I can do downloads outside of the US (from Canada, UK, SA, etc) on a Kindle or Nook that is purchased in the USA. I know that both have made some ebook titles available in Canada, if you buy your ereader in Canada, but I'm wondering what will happen if I buy my device in the USA while I'm there in Sept.

I have the Kindle 2 and it says you can download books anywhere. There is a $1.99 extra charge though to download books outside the US. I'd guess that would apply to Canada.

i want one that you can read anywhere

dont care about e mail and documents

cant decide which one

Amazon has a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy (no restocking fee).

You can always order a Kindle, try it for 29 days, and if you don't like it, return it.

Thanks so much to everyone on this board, for the great info on your experiences with your Kindles, especially from Leagle, Jobeth66, SeaDay et al. It has helped me to narrow down my choices for an ereader, and I've decided to give the new Kindle 3G+wifi a try. I'm looking forward to testing out sending my cruise documents to it (for the port info I've gathered) so I don't have to carry reams of paper with me! I've ordered my 3G and it's supposed to ship in a couple of weeks.

There are so many Kindle versions out there now! One version has WiFi only..One has WiFi and 3G and the older versions have Whispernet rather than WiFi or 3G. I have two..a older DX with only Whispernet and a new smaller 3G+WiFi.

With my older DX, I print my doc or text files to a PDF file (with very easy free software) and then use the cable to move the files to the folder for the Kindle. If you use Windows and can move files around, then you can do this. Its very easy.

I have not yet transferred files to my new Kindle but am getting ready to do that. I am going to try just .doc files direct to the email address and if that doesn't work, I will use create the pdf files and send those.

I love my Kindle and the longer battery life really is a big deal when reading long novels. I can't imagine reading on anything else other than a book. :)

I don't know if any of you like to read at a table, but I do. Not always, but quite a bit of the time as I find it more comfortable to sit up straight when I read. Anyway, if you have the Kindle2, Target has a cover on sale for 50% off (less than $15), with a built in stand (much like a picture frame stand). I just love it as I don't have to hold my Kindle or prop it up. It basically turns it into a hands-free reader which makes it very comfortable to read. I also purchased a tight fitting cover for travel that adds basically no weight to the Kindle. Great for travel without the bulk of some of the covers. Also 50% off. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in for anyone who is interested.

BTW, I don't know if any of you have heard of Smashwords.com, but you can also download free and for a fee books to your Kindle. I've gotten some good books through that site where Amazon has the same books (at times) for a charge. http://www.smashwords.com/books/category/1/newest/0/free/longs

Hi Lin,

I'm looking to order the Kindle , but dithering between the $139.00 and the $189.00. Which one did you get?

thanks for your input.

Jo

My DH and I both have a Kindle 2. Last week I bought DH the new K3 with WiFi or the 189.00 one.

It is suppose to ship around Sept. 17, hoping it gets here before our cruise in Oct. Our DD is taking my DH K2 and already has picked out a skin for it.:rolleyes:

Laura

I loaded all my upcoming cruise documents into my new K3 yesterday. I sent them to ------@free.kindle.com. Don't forget to write "convert" in the subject line. Worked perfectly. Transmitted directly to my K3 via WiFi and took no more than 30 seconds for each document at no cost. I also sent several photos. There is no cost when using the -------@free.kindle.com address. I already have 42 books loaded. I don't think that I will be running out of anything to read next week on the Triumph. Waiting to see the look on the the faces at the terminal when I flash my "funpass" on the Kindle.

Never thought about doing that, ok that would be fun to see their face.:eek::rolleyes:

Laura

I don't know if any of you like to read at a table, but I do. Not always, but quite a bit of the time as I find it more comfortable to sit up straight when I read. Anyway, if you have the Kindle2, Target has a cover on sale for 50% off (less than $15), with a built in stand (much like a picture frame stand). I just love it as I don't have to hold my Kindle or prop it up. It basically turns it into a hands-free reader which makes it very comfortable to read. I also purchased a tight fitting cover for travel that adds basically no weight to the Kindle. Great for travel without the bulk of some of the covers. Also 50% off. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in for anyone who is interested.

I got a cover from Target also. Mine is red and it has the stand too. It comes in handy also for reading during meals. Works great.

I have the Kindle 2 and it says you can download books anywhere. There is a $1.99 extra charge though to download books outside the US. I'd guess that would apply to Canada.

I'm not sure if that also applies to the new 3G Kindle which is what I just ordered, but it probably does. Luckily, I also have a US address, and I'm registering my Kindle there. But I imagine if I download while outside of the US, I'll have to pay the extra fee. I'll have to test that out. I plan to do most of my downloads and 'stocking up' while I'm in the US if I can.

I have been testing out how to save docs in pdf format that I can transfer to my Kindle later. Does anyone know the trick to getting an Internet web page into pdf? If I want to print a page from a website for some port information, I could probably print it then put it on my scanner to get into my computer - but is there an easier way? Saving the webpage by printing "to file" doesn't seem to get it into the right format.:confused:

While I did not buy them at target, I do have covers that fold back and make stands for both my Kindles.

Beware of the ones that have the metal hinge that inserts into the Kindle! I had to return mine after it cracked the case. They have added velcro now to the cover to help but I am still very wary. Many people had this problem and at first Amazon would not give refunds but by the time mine broke, people were threatening class action suits so they shipped new ones to those with the problem. I don't know if they are still doing that or not. The problem occurs if you accidentally open the back cover too much. Its ridiculously easy to make that mistake so much to easy to crack your Kindle.

While I did not buy them at target, I do have covers that fold back and make stands for both my Kindles.

Beware of the ones that have the metal hinge that inserts into the Kindle! I had to return mine after it cracked the case. They have added velcro now to the cover to help but I am still very wary. Many people had this problem and at first Amazon would not give refunds but by the time mine broke, people were threatening class action suits so they shipped new ones to those with the problem. I don't know if they are still doing that or not. The problem occurs if you accidentally open the back cover too much. Its ridiculously easy to make that mistake so much to easy to crack your Kindle.

The one I am talking about does not have any metal hinges and the stand neither fits into the Kindle nor touches it in any way. The stand is on the inside of the back cover. You open the cover and turn the front left cover to the back and just flip open the stand.

I ordered the new K3 wifi for my DH last week. Have not gotten an email yet on delivery date. Called CS (who was soooo nice) and she said they are not mailing out email till right before they ship. Is this what anyone has experiencing??

Laura

The website suggests that there's a backlog of just under 3 weeks to ship (today it says it will ship by Sept 20; earlier this week I think it said Sept 17). I think people get notified upon shipment, but if you keep checking the status changes to "preparing to ship and cannot be canceled" within a half day or a day before it actually ships.

When you've ordered you should also check out http://www.kindleboards.com/ for info on Kindlle accessories & books, as well as general Kindle chat.

The website suggests that there's a backlog of just under 3 weeks to ship (today it says it will ship by Sept 20; earlier this week I think it said Sept 17). I think people get notified upon shipment, but if you keep checking the status changes to "preparing to ship and cannot be canceled" within a half day or a day before it actually ships.

When you've ordered you should also check out http://www.kindleboards.com/ for info on Kindle accessories & books, as well as general Kindle chat.

Thanks, when I order it for him they were saying Sept. 17. Was just really wondering when the email comes, so thanks. Just was hoping to get it before he leaves for China but his old K2 will work just fine.

Laura

The cases have been redesigned - there's no issue with the hinges. The problem was happening with a few people who tried to open the back of the case, instead of from the front - because it was difficult to tell the right way. You can't do that anymore.

I love my hinge case. I have an M-Edge one for my K2, and an Amazon lighted cover for the K3. The K3 cover folds back nicely.

Archived