New Kindle Wi-Fi....I can put all my cruise info on it!

I'm requesting a new generation Kindle for Christmas, cruising the Caribbean in February, any techies know if I will have download access on the cruise? Other than that pre cruise in Florida.

If you purchase the Wi-Fi version you can download while on the ship if you have purchased a ship internet package.

How nice! Once I got the Nook, I realized I should've just bought an iPad (or similar) for the additional functions. Live and learn...I guess that's how these tech companies make money! :cool:

I didn't want the extra features- too much temptation to check my email or the news or whatever. I wanted a book- and love it. I know that I can check email etc on my Kindle, and refuse to use it. I read on it. Thats all.

I'm requesting a new generation Kindle for Christmas, cruising the Caribbean in February, any techies know if I will have download access on the cruise? Other than that pre cruise in Florida.

Depends on where you are.I was able to but I was in Alaska. And I could on shore in Mexico. But I was loaded up with lots to read so I didn't have a problem.

I recommend keeping an eye on the Notion Ink Adam (www.notionink.in).

It's going to have the best of both worlds, as you'll be able to get their top-end version with a Pixel Qi screen. The Pixel Qi screen allows you to switch from a backlit LCD-type screen to a non-backlit transflexive e-ink screen. (www.pixelqi.com). I've been watching this since CES last year, and it looks like we're on track for a Q4 2010 or Q1 2011 launch. It'll still suffer from the weight issue - weight is approximately the same as the iPad. However, the top-of-the-line 32G version with everything will be cheaper than the bottom-end 16G WiFi only iPad.

This is a brilliant idea. The one and only thing I don't like about Ipad or netbooks is the glossy finish and difficulty reading. I know you can buy a skin (I think that's what it's called) but I don't want to have to add to the unit just to be able to read without glare.

I have received over 50 emails most with attachments on my Kindle 2. I have never been charged?:confused:
I confess that I can't verify that I've ever been charged either (I've only sent a handful of documents). But the new feature is that the free.kindle.com address will deliver directly to your K3 over WiFi where it only emails it back to your computer with earlier models.

I confess that I can't verify that I've ever been charged either (I've only sent a handful of documents). But the new feature is that the free.kindle.com address will deliver directly to your K3 over WiFi where it only emails it back to your computer with earlier models.

That still is not correct. I have the K2 and I get emails sent directly to my Kindle- not to my computer. Anyone can email me or I can forward emails from my work (with large attachments) to my kindle.com email address.

That still is not correct. I have the K2 and I get emails sent directly to my Kindle- not to my computer. Anyone can email me or I can forward emails from my work (with large attachments) to my kindle.com email address.
Yes. I agree that you can send documents to your K2.

Because you send them to ...@kindle.com, they are delivered directly to your Kindle.

Amazon says they charge you 15 cents per megabyte for this service. They may defer charging you until the amount transmitted adds up to $5.

You can avoid the fee by sending the documents to ...@free.kindle.com. With a Generation 1 or Generation 2 Kindle, documents sent to ...@free.kindle.com don't get delivered to your Kindle but they get emailed back to you so you can transfer them to your Kindle with the USB cable. If you have a K3, documents sent to ...@free.kindle.com go directly to your kindle, just like documents sent to ...@kindle.com, except that Amazon says they don't charge for document delivery through ...@free.kindle.com.

This makes sense (no, really :) ) because Kindle doesn't incur any expense when you use WiFi.

Hi Jo,

I got the $139.00 Wi-Fi only version. Anywhere you go, you can find a free Wi-Fi connection. I have wi-fi at my house so I can upload at home, work, airports, hotels etc. It is so easy!

thanks Lin for your prompt reply!

For my needs I'm sure this one will be enough. However they are on back order now, sure hope I get it in time for our cruise in October.

take care, Jo.

I'll be able to do everything the Kindle does, and a lot more, including reading my Kindle Amazon books. I can also open and read any Microsoft Word or Excel document; it doesn't have to be in pdf formal.

I just ordered a Kindle. I admit the iPad is an attractive option, but one thing you can't do with it is carry it around easily in a purse. One of the main uses I envision for my Kindle is to download all my travel books, travel literature, and pdf notes about ports/cities/travel plans, etc and have it handy on a small device that's easy to carry around on day trips. At 4.8 x 7.5 inches, it's a heck of a lot easier to fit a Kindle in my bag than an iPad at 7.5 x 9.5 inches.

I hope mine comes before my 9/19 cruise!

Yes. I agree that you can send documents to your K2.

Because you send them to ...@kindle.com, they are delivered directly to your Kindle.

Amazon says they charge you 15 cents per megabyte for this service. They may defer charging you until the amount transmitted adds up to $5.

You can avoid the fee by sending the documents to ...@free.kindle.com. With a Generation 1 or Generation 2 Kindle, documents sent to ...@free.kindle.com don't get delivered to your Kindle but they get emailed back to you so you can transfer them to your Kindle with the USB cable. If you have a K3, documents sent to ...@free.kindle.com go directly to your kindle, just like documents sent to ...@kindle.com, except that Amazon says they don't charge for document delivery through ...@free.kindle.com.

This makes sense (no, really :) ) because Kindle doesn't incur any expense when you use WiFi.

This does make total sense! There were just a few posts that said if you had the K2, that you HAD to transfer using the usb cable when you don't. Maybe I will get getting a bill in the future but I have been taking my kindle with me everywhere this summer and have had tons of emails sent to it with no charges at all from Amazon.

I'm been going in circles lately trying to decide between a Kindle (2 or 3?) and the Sony Reader (Daily Edition). I've been doing some extensive online reading about both - reviews, blogs, etc, and nowhere did anyone mention you could receive emails on your Kindle - that's very interesting! The one thing I'm NOT liking about Kindle, is that you cannot share downloaded ebooks, unless it's to another registered Kindle in your family on the same account. Since when can you not share a book you've paid for?

The reason I was leaning towards the Sony Reader, is that it's supported by our local library's ebook lending library, and it supports MS word docs as wells as all the main formats (epub, pdf, etc). It also allows note-taking that can be downloaded to your PC. A drawback of the Sony (for some anyway, not all) is screen glare in some lighting.

I've been reading here, as in most online reviews, pros and cons for both, and like one other poster here has said, I keep changing my mind. I'm still torn.:confused:

If I could find an ereader that allowed me to off-load an ebook I have paid for and already read, and give it to someone else who is NOT on my account (like Amazon), then that's the gadget I'll buy.

I'm been going in circles lately trying to decide between a Kindle (2 or 3?) and the Sony Reader (Daily Edition). I've been doing some extensive online reading about both - reviews, blogs, etc, and nowhere did anyone mention you could receive emails on your Kindle - that's very interesting! The one thing I'm NOT liking about Kindle, is that you cannot share downloaded ebooks, unless it's to another registered Kindle in your family on the same account. Since when can you not share a book you've paid for?

You can't do that with ANY ereader. It's like d/l music on iTunes. I can't share that with anyone, either - but I can hand them a CD if I owned the CD.

You can do very, very limited sharing with the B&N Nook - IF the publisher allows (many don't) you can lend a book, ONE time, to ONE person, for 14 days. You can't access it during those 14 days, and after it's returned to you, you can't ever lend it again.

The reason I was leaning towards the Sony Reader, is that it's supported by our local library's ebook lending library, and it supports MS word docs as wells as all the main formats (epub, pdf, etc). It also allows note-taking that can be downloaded to your PC. A drawback of the Sony (for some anyway, not all) is screen glare in some lighting.

I've been reading here, as in most online reviews, pros and cons for both, and like one other poster here has said, I keep changing my mind. I'm still torn.:confused:

If I could find an ereader that allowed me to off-load an ebook I have paid for and already read, and give it to someone else who is NOT on my account (like Amazon), then that's the gadget I'll buy.

The Kindle will also support Word docs natively. These are the formats supported by the Kindle:

DOC, DOCX, PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI

Other formats can be converted with one of several free conversion programs, I prefer Calibre for document management & conversion.

You won't find an ereader that'll let you make copies of DRM'd books to give to someone else. For the less scrupulous, there are lots of ways to strip DRM. There are also a TON of free & readily-available books available with no DRM. I have about a thousand books on my Kindle, 99% of them did not come from Amazon.

I'm still reading on the original Kindle and love it. I placed an order for the Kindle 3, because my husband and I are cruising in October. I will upgrade and pass the original on to my husband to use on board the ship. I still love the original Kindle and haven't had a single problem with it since I purchased it. Plus, I'll have the option of downloading books I've already purchased from my Amazon library to my new Kindle. I haven't thought about uploading travel itinerary, etc. to the Kindle. I'll have to check it out.

I haven't been able to find anywhere what the cost is to buy an ebook to load on the Kindle. For example, a new release. I can't visit the Amazon store until I set up an account, which of course I don't have yet. Any info on that would be appreciated.

Also, I know that downloaded ebooks can go either to your PC and transferred to Kindle via USB, or directly to Kindle if you have 3G wireless. But, if you buy an ebook and download to your PC is there some kind of lock on the ebook? I just want to know the logistics of how the Kindle operates. If the ebook is stored on my PC how do they stop you from copying to a different Kindle? Excuse my ignorance here, I'm still trying to gather all the facts on these gadgets.

You can't do that with ANY ereader. It's like d/l music on iTunes. I can't share that with anyone, either - but I can hand them a CD if I owned the CD.

I've never d/l music from iTunes, so didn't know that. I just buy a CD and make whatever copies I need for my car, my ipod, etc. I don't give it to anyone else. But books that I purchase - hardcover, paperbacks, etc, I often share and the publishing world knows people do that. So what's so different about ebooks? Unless of course they are charging WAY less $ than paperbacks, which they aren't. Maybe I'm just not getting the point here.

You can do very, very limited sharing with the B&N Nook - IF the publisher allows (many don't) you can lend a book, ONE time, to ONE person, for 14 days. You can't access it during those 14 days, and after it's returned to you, you can't ever lend it again.

I ruled out the Nook for many other reasons, after reading all the Internet reviews & comparisons. They do have some pluses though, and have some avid supporters- just not for me.

The Kindle will also support Word docs natively. These are the formats supported by the Kindle:

DOC, DOCX, PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI

Other formats can be converted with one of several free conversion programs, I prefer Calibre for document management & conversion.

I was told, and read online reviews, that Kindle did not support Microsoft Word documents - but since you've mentioned this, I'll check further on that, as it makes a difference to me to be able to copy some of my documents onto an ereader for travelling, rather than take a binder of notes with me! Thanks for this tip.

I haven't been able to find anywhere what the cost is to buy an ebook to load on the Kindle. For example, a new release. I can't visit the Amazon store until I set up an account, which of course I don't have yet. Any info on that would be appreciated.
I'm surprised that you can't see Kindle titles. I can sign out of my Amazon account, go to the Kindle Store and see the books and their prices. Try going to http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Books/b/ref=sv_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&node=1286228011 and see.

if you buy an ebook and download to your PC is there some kind of lock on the ebook? I just want to know the logistics of how the Kindle operates. If the ebook is stored on my PC how do they stop you from copying to a different Kindle?
Every Kindle device (Kindles, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Smartphones, etc) is registered to a particular account. An account can have multiple Kindle devices. You can share a title among devices in your account, generally a title can be on up to six devices at a time.

You're prevented from sharing a book with your friends because their Kindles are registered to other accounts.

:confused::confused: Anyone can see the prices on Kindle books on Amazon. I don't have an account but I can browse the Kindle store and see the prices for anything there.....

Prices for most books are less than the cost of the equivalent hard copy version. Enough less that if you keep the Kindle for several years and read as many books as I do, at some point you will break even -- especially if you purchase the cheaper ($139) Kindle.

As to the Sony eReader, I'm really surprised you are considering it if you have done that much research. Pretty much every review I ran across when I was deciding which eReader to purchase discounted the Sony as the least attractive option of the "big 3" (Kindle, Nook, Sony).... I started out thinking I might go with Sony since I have a family member that could get one for me at a substantial discount. I ended up realizing that even with that discount, I wouldn't be happy with the Sony.

Here is a question for you Kindle experts. I would like to alphabetize my books according to author- anyway to do that? Right now, they are according to what I have purchased- or read- must be a way to do this.

Also - have not loaded any documents yet- but is there a way to organize them- ?

Here is a question for you Kindle experts. I would like to alphabetize my books according to author- anyway to do that? Right now, they are according to what I have purchased- or read- must be a way to do this.

Absolutely. Up at the top of the 'home' screen it will show how your books are sorted. You can move the cursor up to the top line, and hit the right toggle button - this will give you the option to sort by title, author, or collection.

Also - have not loaded any documents yet- but is there a way to organize them- ?

Collections. On the home screen, hit the 'menu' key, and there will be a menu option to 'create collection'. Name your collection, and then you can go into it and add books. Books can be added to multiple collections - so you can have the same book in a 'genre' collection, an 'author' collection, a 'series' collection, etc.

If you use "Collections" then collections appear first in the list and the books not in a collection are sorted by most recently read. I haven't found a way to sort the books another way when the Collections option is active. But most recently read is a pretty logical and useful way to sort the books.

(PS: Hi, Jobeth! I use another handle over at The Other Bulletin Board(s) ;) ).

I have a "global" Kindle which works on 3G. I bought it for travel but, as the size is just right for throwing in a purse and I get my daily London newspaper on it, I find I carry it every day and it was a very helpful when I broke my left arm as I could hold the Kindle and turn pages with one hand. It is also easier than a book, in a cover that serves as an easel, to read when eating.

I have downloaded books and my daily paper in London, Barcelona, small villages in the Japanese Alps, in New York and in Austin Texas. The only place I could not shop for new books or get my paper was transatlantic on the QM2, although of course I could still access all books, papers and documents already on it.

I organise my books and documents by collection, but there are alternatives.

I also download any travel notes and documents I need for travel (as well as Lonely Planet Guides for my destinations), although for any really important information, I would also print a hard copy, just in case.

I think the Sony is prettier, but the Kindle seems more useful and, at least at the time I was doing the research last October, the books cost less.

Books that are out of copyright cost very little (probably on any of the e-book readers). I have the complete collections of Dickens, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Jane Austin etc. all bought for about $2 for each collection.

I have seen the ipad and it is very, very pretty, but for reading, the Kindle is both handier and more comfortable to use. For travel I combine it with a cheap netbook that weighs a kilo and stays in my hotel/cabin. The ipad doesn't seem to be as useful for computing as a net book (and would cost much more to replace) or as comfortable for reading as an ebook.

But it is pretty....

Not all books are available on Kindle, and some books are not available to Kindles registered in certain countries, but the list of books available is lengthening daily.

I love books, the feel, the smell and the ownership of them, but I am really converted to the Kindle and find the lower prices of books on Kindle (less than paperbacks) and the easy of acquiring them has converted me to ebooks.

I can open & read any MSWord document on my Kindle - it doesn't have to be in PDF format, either. (Excel would have to be converted, though)

However, there's a few things the Kindle does, and does *very, very well*, that your iPad can't. I can sit on the deck or on my balcony in full sunlight and read for hours. Can't do that on the iPad - if you could use it in sunlight (you can't - glare issues) it still has a propensity to overheat.

I can read forever without getting eye strain or a headache. I can't do that on the iPad.

I can read for a month or so without ever plugging it in. Can't do that with an iPad.

I can throw it in my purse and take it with me everywhere, because it's small and weighs next to nothing. I can't do that with an iPad, either.

If you're looking for a passable multi-function device, the iPad is ok (until the Android tablets start coming out, then the iPad is going to have stiff competition). If you're looking for something where reading is the primary function, an e-ink device is the only choice. And IMO, the Kindle is the best e-ink device available.

I'm not the most technically gifted as you will perhaps appreciate from this question, but with a 'Kindle' would I be able to access my e-mails and reply to them, and also browse the web? Please don't throw your old hard-backs at me.

:confused::confused: Anyone can see the prices on Kindle books on Amazon. I don't have an account but I can browse the Kindle store and see the prices for anything there.....

I guess I didn't look hard enough! :o

Prices for most books are less than the cost of the equivalent hard copy version.

Almost anything is less than hard covers, so I'm assuming you are including paperbacks in the "hard copy version"? If prices are less than paperbacks, then that's not so bad. No way am I paying for hard covers.

As to the Sony eReader, I'm really surprised you are considering it if you have done that much research. Pretty much every review I ran across when I was deciding which eReader to purchase discounted the Sony as the least attractive option of the "big 3" (Kindle, Nook, Sony.

Not in the reviews and comparisons I read recently (until I was cross-eyed!). Again, maybe I need to keep reading some more. There are many, many differing opinions out there, so its hard to sort them all out as to pros & cons. What one product a reviewer finds terrible, another absolutely adores. Go figure.

Archived