Bayonne Terminal-advice please

We2Cruzers

Are there any hotels near the Bayonne cruise terminal that have a stay the night before/parking package?

Yes, Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth. A lot of folks I sailed with

back in May stayed there.

Hi, I sailed for the first time from Bayonne back in May:) I hired a car

service and they picked me up at my hotel promptly at 10:30am

and it took all of 15 minutes to get me to the ship. (I stayed in

Elizabeth). I checked in and picked up one of the shuttles and was

literally on board the ship within another 10 minutes.:D

I don't believe you can walk to the ship and maybe I was one of the

lucky folks and had no problems boarding:)

As for leaving? I waited in Normandie (one of the nice Elite Perks)

and disemarked about 9:30...got my bag, went through customs,

got on one of the buses back to the front area and then got a cab

to Newark airport.

Looks like everyone has different experiences.

Lois, thanks for the info. Was it difficult to get a cab to the airport? We are on a 12:00 P.M. flight and didn't know whether to hire a car service in order to be sure to get there in time. if we do hire a car service do we still need to take the bus back to the front area with all our luggage?

Lois, thanks for the info. Was it difficult to get a cab to the airport? We are on a 12:00 P.M. flight and didn't know whether to hire a car service in order to be sure to get there in time. if we do hire a car service do we still need to take the bus back to the front area with all our luggage?

Hi, no it was not difficult to get a cab..I had an issue with a "shuttle service" but next time I will go directly to a cab...it was 40 bucks just

to make you aware. Yes, you need to take the bus back to the front

area. When you get to that area and go out front just head to the

left and tell them you want a cab.

I thought I would save money and share a van...not the right move.

They wanted to put more people and luggage in that it would hold:rolleyes:

I got out and went by cab on my own.

In taking the shuttle bus from the ship to the terminal: I can forsee some issues with taking luggage up on the bus. This could be a real problem for those that are not able to handle even medium size suitcases? I guess there is no other choice?

In taking the shuttle bus from the ship to the terminal: I can forsee some issues with taking luggage up on the bus. This could be a real problem for those that are not able to handle even medium size suitcases? I guess there is no other choice?

Hi Grace, nope, not that I recall...everyone had to take their luggage

onto the bus and then the bus takes you to the front of the terminal

for exiting transportation.

we are packing to for Summit cruise--"hopefully to Bermuda " on Sunday ( a bit stressful in view of the hurricanes out there!)..

I am confused: for embarkation, we drop off lugggage, then go to the parking lot & then take a shuttle to the ship with our carry ons......& hope to reunite with our luggage at our stateroom...(this seems clear)

BUT disembarking, we get our luggage near the ship & take it with us on the shuttle bus along with our carry ons???? seems this would be somewhat cumbersome... where do you actually get the luggage & clear customs??

Before we did San Diego, we rated NYC & San Pedro the worst ports but then San Diego made it to the top of this list...Cape liberty is not sounding so great if I have this correctly.. & if it is not so great we'll cancel Silhouette!!

hcat,

when disembarking, the shuttle bus takes you from the ship to the terminal where you are re-united with your luggage.

Hi David,:) right...but most everyone still has their carry-on's with them

and those do go with you on the shuttle bus....so lots of carry-on's

are on the bus...

Guess my last post made it sound like all the big bags were being taken on the buses too...sorry...didn't

mean to say that.

Lots of confusion on this thread.

When arriving for the cruise, you or your taxi pull up to the terminal and the luggage is given to the porters who place it on carts to go to the ship. The cab then leaves or if you arrive in your car you and your carryons wait until the person who is driving the car parks it a block or 2 away and then either walks back or takes a shuttle back to where the rest of the party are waiting with the carryons. You then go into the terminal and check in. After checking in your party exits the terminal at the rear and get on another shuttle which threads it's way past all the forklifts and delivery trucks and deposits you at the gangway.

The reverse procedure when getting off the cruise at the end. Your party leaves the ship and gets on the shuttle which takes you back to the terminal. You then find your luggage in the holding area of the terminal and either wheel it your self to the front where you were dropped off or have a porter bring it on his big handtruck. Somebody from your party goes to collect the car from the parking lot and drives it back to where your party is waiting. Or if you have a friend/relative picking you up, when you get to the outside of the terminal building, note where you are standing (numbered sections) call on the cellphone.

The system works OK except when there is snow.

Are there any hotels near the Bayonne cruise terminal that have a stay the night before/parking package?

We stayed at the Elizabeth, NJ Country Inn & Suites in May. Be sure to ask for the stay and cruise package. You get a nice room, breakfast, a round trip shuttle to the ship and for a few extra bucks or so, parking for the week. It came to about $25. more than just parking at the port.

Some got confused and asked for the stay and park and that ended up being more expensive for it was an extra $45. for the shuttle. They were right there to pick us up as we got off the ship. We had taken our time getting off the ship, met our shuttle and had our car and were on the road by 9:30. The first day of the cruise, there were enough of us waiting in the lobby to fill the first shuttle so they took us at 11:30. We would recommend it!

we are packing to for Summit cruise--"hopefully to Bermuda " on Sunday ( a bit stressful in view of the hurricanes out there!)..

I am confused: for embarkation, we drop off lugggage, then go to the parking lot & then take a shuttle to the ship with our carry ons......& hope to reunite with our luggage at our stateroom...(this seems clear)

BUT disembarking, we get our luggage near the ship & take it with us on the shuttle bus along with our carry ons???? seems this would be somewhat cumbersome... where do you actually get the luggage & clear customs??

Before we did San Diego, we rated NYC & San Pedro the worst ports but then San Diego made it to the top of this list...Cape liberty is not sounding so great if I have this correctly.. & if it is not so great we'll cancel Silhouette!!

It sounds much more confusing than it is! Your luggage is lined up by colors for you to claim when you get off the shuttle and go through customs. It's easy! We did it in May!

Hi, I sailed for the first time from Bayonne back in May:) I hired a car

service and they picked me up at my hotel promptly at 10:30am

and it took all of 15 minutes to get me to the ship. (I stayed in

Elizabeth). I checked in and picked up one of the shuttles and was

literally on board the ship within another 10 minutes.:D

I don't believe you can walk to the ship and maybe I was one of the

lucky folks and had no problems boarding:)

As for leaving? I waited in Normandie (one of the nice Elite Perks)

and disemarked about 9:30...got my bag, went through customs,

got on one of the buses back to the front area and then got a cab

to Newark airport.

Looks like everyone has different experiences.

What hotel did you stay at in Elizabeth? We're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott. And what car service? We were thinking of grabbing a cab, would a car service be cheaper? Thanks.

What hotel did you stay at in Elizabeth? We're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott. And what car service? We were thinking of grabbing a cab, would a car service be cheaper? Thanks.

Ask the hotel about a shuttle. Most hotels that have shuttles charge 45 or 50 round trip. From what I was told a cab was around 40. one way.

Hi,:) I stayed right at the Courtyard by Marriott too.!

It is in a Cul de sac...the Country Inn and Residence Inn are there as well.

I used a car service because I just wanted to have my ride set up

ahead of time. I don't know what a cab would run...the car might

have been more $$ but the driver was courteous, the car (Cadillac)

was clean, he is very professional and on time. I planned to do a car

service so I was putting it into the price of my trip. (I think it was

60 bucks if memory serves).

The name of the Limo company is D&G Limousine.

Ask the hotel about a shuttle. Most hotels that have shuttles charge 45 or 50 round trip. From what I was told a cab was around 40. one way.

Hi Dianne:) The Courtyard did not have a shuttle to the pier. That

is where I stayed. They only had one to and from the airport.

Hi David,:) right...but most everyone still has their carry-on's with them

and those do go with you on the shuttle bus....so lots of carry-on's

are on the bus...

Guess my last post made it sound like all the big bags were being taken on the buses too...sorry...didn't

mean to say that.

Thanks for clearing that up-- it did sounds like we had to take ALL our luggage on the bus!!

Question: after the cruise, where do you claim your luggage: before you get on the shuttle bus from ship to terminal, or after you are shuttled from ship to the terminal?

In the terminal after you are shuttled from the ship. It's only a block or so, but there are truck deliveries and forklifts all over the place, they don't want people wandering around the area willy nilly for their own safety.

Archived