Need Recommendations for Hotels in Stockholm

yorkiemomjn

I would appreciate any recommendations anyone has for hotels in Stockholm for our Baltic Treasures cruise next June on the Marina.

I can only give you my experience...

Two years ago, when we had a cruise starting out of Stockholm, we decided to spend several days there pre-cruise...

After going back and forth on the decision for awhile, we decided on the Hilton Slussen...

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/STOSLHI-Hilton-Stockholm-Slussen-hotel/index.do

The hotel is nice and modern...the room was a bit small, but very well appointed (I recall thinking the large flat screen TV was WAY to big for the size of the room)...

Best thing about the Hilton was the location...it's right across a small bridge from the Gamla Stan (the Old Town), but in the OTHER direction than the congested Downtown area...it was a very easy and pleasant walk across the bridge to and through the Gamla Stan...and I think we made that walk every morning...The Slussen Tunelbana (subway) station is right across the street...making it very easy to go anywhere in the Stockholm area...

We purchased Stockholm Cards, so all of our Tunelbana and bus trips were included and easy, just flash the card and go through...

There are several restaurants--from McDonalds all the way to nicer sit-downs--immediately around the hotel...but we often found ourselves hopping on the Tunelbana and going a couple of stops up into Sodermalm to restauant and shopping areas...

Our ship that year docked at Frihamnen...so not really close to anything...

This year, when our cruise only stopped for the day, it was at STADSGÅRDEN...which is very close to the Hilton...you could walk it...but, with luggage, it's a fairly short taxi ride...

From the Airport, we took a shuttle--which took us directly to the Hilton...as cheap as the train with none of the hasle...

If we go back, we will stay at the Hilton again most likely...

We stayed at the Sheraton in July before our Baltic cruise. The location was excellent -- a reasonable walk (with rolling luggage) from the central station, where the Arlanda Express comes in from the airport. Just across a bridge is Gamla Stan and a short walk in the other direction brings you to City Hall and the boat to Drottningholm. There is a bus stop across the street, and like a previous poster, we bought the Stockholm Card, which includes all public transportation. Bus drivers usually spoke some English and were willing to help out. (I highly recommend buying the Stockholm Card.) The rooms were quite spacious by European standards, with the best rainhead shower! One of the features we really liked was the use of several computers in the lobby with free internet. Many hotels have one or two, which means a wait and rushed online time. I think the Sheraton had 6 available. The concierge was helpful as well. The beds were excellent and we found the hotel to be quiet. I would stay here again if I ever return to Stockholm.

We stayed at the Sheraton in July before our Baltic cruise. The location was excellent -- a reasonable walk (with rolling luggage) from the central station, where the Arlanda Express comes in from the airport. Just across a bridge is Gamla Stan and a short walk in the other direction brings you to City Hall and the boat to Drottningholm. There is a bus stop across the street, and like a previous poster, we bought the Stockholm Card, which includes all public transportation. Bus drivers usually spoke some English and were willing to help out. (I highly recommend buying the Stockholm Card.) The rooms were quite spacious by European standards, with the best rainhead shower! One of the features we really liked was the use of several computers in the lobby with free internet. Many hotels have one or two, which means a wait and rushed online time. I think the Sheraton had 6 available. The concierge was helpful as well. The beds were excellent and we found the hotel to be quiet. I would stay here again if I ever return to Stockholm.

+1 - similar experience at Sheraton all around. Stockholm card is "a must" when staying 2-3 days

We stayed at the Sheraton in July before our Baltic cruise. The location was excellent -- lent and we found the hotel to be quiet. I would stay here again if I ever return to Stockholm.

I agree and the hotel has real air conditioning rather than the normal European air-cooled. Upgrade to an executive club room and have the wonderful view from the front of the hotel. The club has great service too.:)

I second Bruin Steve's recommendation for the Hilton Slussen. Yes, the rooms are small but they seemed positively spacious after spending an entire day in United's economy section! Besides, we were there for just one night prior to boarding the ship. If we were spending 3 or 4 days in Stockholm, I'd probably want a larger room. I do remember the bathroom as being quite spacious and extremely nice.

The best thing about the Hilton is its location. Just cross the nearby bridge and you're in the Gamla Stan.

I second Bruin Steve's recommendation for the Hilton Slussen. Yes, the rooms are small but they seemed positively spacious after spending an entire day in United's economy section! Besides, we were there for just one night prior to boarding the ship. If we were spending 3 or 4 days in Stockholm, I'd probably want a larger room. I do remember the bathroom as being quite spacious and extremely nice.

The best thing about the Hilton is its location. Just cross the nearby bridge and you're in the Gamla Stan.

I third the Hilton Slussen. Not only is it close to Gamla Stan but the Soderholm neighborhood. We also recommend the stockholm card.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am trying to book the Hilton right now, but on-line it shows no availability, so I just emailed them. :)

I think that's SOP for these online booking systems. They just don't go that far into the future. You should be able to secure a reservation by contacting the hotel directly.

I think that's SOP for these online booking systems. They just don't go that far into the future. You should be able to secure a reservation by contacting the hotel directly.

I did, thanks! They told me they did not have their prices set yet and to check back at the end of Sept.

We too stayed at the Hilton Slussen after our Baltic Treasures cruise. Interestingly enough, at that time it was the same hotel that Oceania used for people who booked a post-cruise hotel stay through them. We reserved independently (through hotwire if I remember correctly) and paid a fraction of what the cruise line was charging -- several hundred dollars less per night for 2 people.

Archived