Europe & Med airfare

My husband and I were discussing taking a Europe/Med cruise in the next few years; we would like to expose the kids to foreign countries. :) My husband would prefer a cruise that includes Spain, Italy, maybe France .. .he isn't big on Turkey or Russia or anything like that. We looked on the website, and the cruise fares, of course, look wonderfully reasonable, but the airfare - :eek:!!!! We have to travel between mid-June and Labor Day, and of course I understand prices are higher then.

What I am looking for from my experienced CC friends is an idea of any particular cruise where the airfare may be lower (based on the departure port)? We are flying out of Detroit, so almost everything will connect through NY for us. It doesn't have to be exact, I am just wondering if you noticed a trend. I will probably use Royal's air unless it is a LOT cheaper to book on our own.

Again, I know that in a few years things may change, but I just need somewhere to start.

Cruise line reps have suggested to me to book the air separately if going out of Europe. Cruise air is generally not less expensive on those trips and you may have layovers etc. You should book it yourself Look for sales approx 4 months prior to your sail date.

Many of the airlines have been downsizing their schedules. While routes used to have a choice of 6,8 ,10 different flights now they may have like 3 maybe 5 choices. So now each of those remaining flights are selling out at top $$$. The flights for next summer are in the $1400 per person range to many of the major cities and with limited availability I doubt they will go down much.

Flights through the cruise lines are usually higher than what you can find on your own. When you book with the cruise lines you can end up with long layovers.

I recommend you compare cruise line price and booking on own price. If the cruise line price is a little lower, that doesn't mean it's the best flight. Oversea flights are long and layovers make them even longer.

Take control and book your own air. JMO

We sailed on Brilliance out of Barcelona and it was a wonderful cruise. We loved all the ports, esp. Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Once you make a decision, check the Europe forum for GREAT info on the ports of call. Oh and make sure you book 1-2 night pre-stay.

Here is what we do for our Europe airfares: we fly into London Heathrow, spend a day or two there, and then fly Easyjet or Ryanair to the port. The fares to Barcelona are pretty cheap.

You might also see what is available leaving from Southampton or Dover. You can take the National Express bus REALLY cheap from central London to Southampton. I mean about $10 each type of cheap.

We did a great Western Europe cruise from Southampton. Check Celebrity cruises, too.

I checked my favorite web site, mobissimo, for mid June 2011 returning late June, JFK to LHR: $760 roundtrip including all taxes and fees.

I would watch the regional airlines for deals to New York, like Airtran, Northwest, or Southwest.

We have to opposite problem as we have to fly to the USA. This always means a gateway usually Newark as we fly from Manchester, England. We will not fly to or from London Heathrow or Gatwick. We have booked the cruise and then our flights separately.

As another poster has said, there are several cruises from Southampton to the Med. This does mean crossing the Bay of Biscay which can be a bit rough.

The coach from London to Southampton is cheapest.

There is a Hilton hotel near the cruise terminal.

I am looking into European cruises for next summer and the flight prices are outrageous! I found Finnair to have the best prices; however, it means 2 stops instead of just 1. They fly from New York JFK to Helsinki and then connect from Helsinki to most European cities. For what I'm looking at, it's going to save about $400 per person!

Thank you everyone! I looked at fares for next year and they were averaging around $1400 pp; going into Heathrow may be our best option. We are probably looking at 3 or 4 years so I obviously have a while, but $5600 on airfare could be a deal breaker for my husband!! :D

Since you live in Michigan, were you a NW frequent flyer? It's Delta now, but we have had success using our ff miles to book flights to Europe.

Yep - we have Sky Miles cards (even the kids). We may not have enough miles for round trip, but maybe we will be able to swing one way on miles. We will have flights to Florida in 2011, 2012, and 2013 (if we don't do the cruise until 2014).

If you're flying into Europe via London you could consider changing carriers. Depending at which airport you arrive with consider a cheap carrier such as easyJet for your onward flight. Please plan on arriving at your final destination at least 1 day before the cruise.

We took Independence to the Med and had the first 2 days at sea. On Independence that's a joy! There were turbulent waters on the return leg.

If you're flying into Europe via London you could consider changing carriers. Depending at which airport you arrive with consider a cheap carrier such as easyJet for your onward flight.

Yes, as I said, that's what we did. However, we stayed in London for a few days and then flew to the port. That gives us time to adjust to the time difference, see some London sights (highly recommend the hop on/off bus), and get our way over to Stanstead or Luton, depending on which airline has the cheapest fare to the port. We always take National Express to the other airport: very reasonably priced.

To jenmouse: Since you have a long time to get the $$ together, I have another suggestion. My husband and I have a Southwest Visa card and use it for EVERYTHING. If you check on regional airlines to get you to New York, then also check on their rewards program.

We charge our cruise and air on our SWV, and almost always get enough credits to get free roundtrip air to our US departure port. In your case you could get free air to NY for your family.

I don't know about your regional airlines, but SW flies to La Guardia. I also know when you get the credit card, you are automatically credited with 8 segments. It takes 16 to get a free roundtrip, and each segment is $1,200 in charges. We just use it instead of cash all month long, pay it off each month, and get the credits. Adding the cost of cruises and other air, we end up with free travel almost every trip.

I also schedule when I pay off my cruises by when I need the credits on my Visa for a roundtrip freebie. I frequently pay them off months ahead of schedule so I have the award when they open up the travel dates for my cruise flight.

Doing this reduces the cost of your air for the trip DRAMATICALLY. My son and dil fly in and out of DTW, too, and I know that airport does not get the lowest fares. So, getting to whatever airport has the lowest fare is your goal, and free air to that airport is possible with a airline rewards program.

We just returned from RCI Brillance of the Sea,we made our reservations in

June of this year and got the same price on airlines as our friends did who

booked 6 mos in advance, Iberia was a fantastic airlines flew from boston to

Madrid and then to Barcelona for $1100 pp. We spent a day pre cruise discovering the city and then transferred by cab to cruise line. The ports

were amazing, Ville france where we visited Monte Carlo and Nice, Rome

where we did a tour thru AP tours which were amazing, Florence where we

went to Cinque Terre, Santorini, Athens, Naples, It was a cruise of a lifetime

and although expensive well worth it, there were lots of teens on our ship

We had a balcony cabin for $1899. Good Luck

It was a cruise of a lifetime

and although expensive well worth it, there were lots of teens on our ship

We had a balcony cabin for $1899. Good Luck

About when did you book your cabin? Did you book it early and get price adjustments or did you book after final? Thanks.

To jenmouse: Since you have a long time to get the $$ together, I have another suggestion. My husband and I have a Southwest Visa card and use it for EVERYTHING. If you check on regional airlines to get you to New York, then also check on their rewards program.

That is a great idea; however, we are already charging everything on a Chase Disney Visa to help finance our Disney trips! :D I love finding ways to save money. My husband thinks that flying into Heathrow, staying there for a night or two, and then using the train or a local airline to get to the port area is a good idea.

We really want to give our kids an opportunity to see some other countries, so one way or another, I will find a way to make this work. I know it is early to be working on this, but I tend to book all of my vacations far in advance. I have Fibromyalgia and if I wait too long to do things, I get very flustered and forget things. I do better with lots of time to plan.

You guys have all given me some great ideas, and I really appreciate you all taking the time to help!

Yep - we have Sky Miles cards (even the kids). We may not have enough miles for round trip, but maybe we will be able to swing one way on miles. We will have flights to Florida in 2011, 2012, and 2013 (if we don't do the cruise until 2014).

Here's a true story circa summer of 2002. It's about Delta Skymiles. At the time, it was 50,000 Skymiles for a r/t European ticket. I was working as a TA at the time, at a land-based agency in a (big!) University town. Mr. and Mrs. Professor booked a Med. cruise leaving from Rome in July. (Pretty sure it was Princess). They booked in April. I asked them about air, and Mr. Prof stated, "Oh, we have Skymiles, and will book the DL non-stop from Atlanta to Rome". I TRIED really hard to say that it was probably too late, and that DL had this flight only once a day, and the Skymiles seats were probably long gone. Mr. Prof pretty much pooh-poohed me and was very arrogant! UNTIL the day he and Mrs. Prof ran into our office frantically saying they couldn't use their Skymiles (really!!) and what could they do?? They ended up paying a fortune for last-minute air.

Right now, the lowest you can pay in miles for a RT to Europe is 60,000. The problem is that these are difficult to attain,but you never know!

My husband thinks that flying into Heathrow, staying there for a night or two, and then using the train or a local airline to get to the port area is a good idea.

Here's the web site for National Express, the UK national bus system: http://www.nationalexpress.com. We've used it several times and love it. On time, courteous staff, and cheap tickets. For instance, the fare from Heathrow to London Victoria station (really close to Buckingham Palace) is $16 per person converted from GBP to USD. You can also check for a hired car, but I think it will be a lot more expensive. Check the Europe board here on CruiseCritic for lots of good info.

Our transportation costs for a trip to Europe in 2007 was ridiculously low. I think we did Heathrow-London-Southampton for about $18!!

I just found a great looking cruise out of Rome (visits Monte Carlo, which my husband would love). Summer airfare from Detroit to Rome, round trip, is currently at the bargain price of $800 pp!!! Fly in a few days early to see the sights. . .that may work out very nicely. . .;)

I think we will have to wait a few years since my younger son is only seven and a half and I can't imagine him on a plane for that long. But that looks like a great option, assuming it is still there when we are ready to book! At least I have a few options in the back of my mind, thanks to this thread.

I just found a great looking cruise out of Rome (visits Monte Carlo, which my husband would love). Summer airfare from Detroit to Rome, round trip, is currently at the bargain price of $800 pp!!! Fly in a few days early to see the sights. . .that may work out very nicely. . .;)

I think we will have to wait a few years since my younger son is only seven and a half and I can't imagine him on a plane for that long. But that looks like a great option, assuming it is still there when we are ready to book! At least I have a few options in the back of my mind, thanks to this thread.

You've gotten some good and accurate feedback.

One additional thought is to work backwards from where you'd like to cruise to. Is history important or scenery (e.g. Athens for history, Naples will provide both, Santorini/ Corfu for scenery) etc.

For example eastern med cruises will sail from Venice, Rome, Athens (I'm sure there are others that I can't think of).

What I like to do then is look at flights to the embarkation port from hubs such as Frankfurt, Amerstdam etc. - I've found that often flights from the hub are cheaper than an all in 1 ticket from North America (I fly out of Toronto) to the embarkation port - so I often get 2 tickets (North America to the hub, hub to embarkation port) and leave myself plenty of time between flights (also airlines like Lufthansa are good about linking flights on different tickets so you can check the bags in once and done).

A nice thing about that approach is it will give the kids some time to stretch out in the airport before boarding another flight.

Just another little planning intensive approach to consider.

Happy planning

CG

Do you really think this $800 fare will still be available in a "few years"? Really?

The plane isn't the problem, it's the amount of walking and types of things you will see. My advice on age is for the child to be at least 12, preferably a teen. You will do more walking than at Disney and it is mainly about rocks (ruins, heh heh) and churches.

Here is what we do for our Europe airfares: we fly into London Heathrow, spend a day or two there, and then fly Easyjet or Ryanair to the port. The fares to Barcelona are pretty cheap.

You might also see what is available leaving from Southampton or Dover. You can take the National Express bus REALLY cheap from central London to Southampton. I mean about $10 each type of cheap.

The National Express bargains are really good. I have yet to use one because I never seem to go on the reduced routes.

The trouble with going on one leg of a journey with a 'cheap' airline can be the different luggage allowance. These airlines make their profits with things like excess luggage, if you are not a careful packer (and do not carry scales with you) you can end up paying more in charges than you would using a carrier like BA.

Archived