Live...Live....Live from the Oasis 8/28/10 with Merion Mom

Merion_Mom- Do me a big favor and give dirtgirl a poke in ribs (not too hard) for me. Then give her a smirk and ask her about that "balcony club" thread we had going a year or so back... :D

Have a great time!

Hey!!! I heard that!!!:p I'll never forget THAT thread... I think I learned a thing or two. :o

Like how to post smilies...

Get your mind out of the gutter! :p

So, after Chops on Saturday night, we went to the Aqua Theatre for Oasis of Dreams. We got there early, and sat in the front row.

No, not in the Splash Zone - the first row of CHAIRS. It had just rained, but the seats are mesh, and the water flows straight through and then the seats dry very quickly.

The show was A MA ZING.

I have fantastic pictures, which I will try to post soon.

This is certainly a DO-NOT-MISS.

OMG!!!! awesome!!! I cant wait to see your pics of Oasis of dreams!! did u see mowgli the aussie diver???:):):)

Day 2.

We then went to the Future Cruise Consultant/Loyalty Ambassador for our half hour appointment.

Two hours later, we left her. (she loved us - we told her more stuff about RC than she knew, about future happenings and such, even though she is the most senior LA in the fleet!!!) Adorable and efficient woman. We booked, we chatted, we had fun.

Dont't hate me, you said it your self,;) Now I know why I can never get a booking, you guys are just having too much fun.:D

I just had to make fun of you two:cool::p

I hope you are having a good time, but I really don't understand demanding (fish eye?) or bribing someone to bring you a lounge chair unless you have a suite with a large balcony and are paying the price for something that everyone else doesn't have. What if all balcony cabins wanted a lounger? And your steward gets reported if he fails to drag a heavy chair (taking it from where?) and hoping that none of his other cabins spot him and make the same request? Sorry - but I don't get it. When I can't afford a suite with a large balcony I sit on the balcony with my feet on the rail and life goes on.

Safe travels.

Just pointing out that on Oasis, a D1 balcony IS an extra-large balcony that usually carries a much larger pricetag than surrounding standard balcony cabins. D1's on Oasis are all located on the hump and have plenty of room for several lounge chairs in addition to the standard table and 2 upright chairs. Typically, on all other ships that have a "hump", the lounge chairs ARE standard on the extended balconies, so I think many of us were quite surprised to find out that on Oasis the lounge chairs are NOT already on the balcony.

It's a big faux-pas on RCCL's part. I totally understand that everyone asking to have a lounge chair moved onto a standard balcony would cause chaos, but the D1's on Oasis should COME with lounge chairs! That is the main reason most of us booked D1's on Oasis! ;)

MM (Carol)....Thanks for the info and time posting here, its very exciting.

Perhaps this has already been stated, but the angle has been enhanced on the pool/sportszone live webcam to include a glimpse of the skyline above and the waves below.....JUST AN AWESOME ANGLE! So we can now view the sky and sea live with you, Carol!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/multimedia/webcam/ship.do;jsessionid=00000FNvTbjvqTI7IEwjqle44Ur:12hbioan0?shipCode=OA&cameraLocation=%2Fcontent%2Fshared_assets%2Fwebcam%2FOA%2FGallery_4.jpg--Pool+and+Sports+Zone

Note to webcam IT: Please don't change this angle...its the best one yet!

Keith

She wasn't. But your comment that someone was getting bribed and would get reported if he or she did not bring a chair was far out.

If you have a balcony big enough for a lounge chair, you can have one brought. They aren't very heavy, either. On some ships - if you are travelling with friends and your balconies are side by side, yo can have the divider removed, and lounge chairs brought up. Aft balconies often have them already there...

Fran in Toronto

The OP said she went to Guest Services and complained that her steward wouldn't bring her a chair (giving her cabin number so that she could get her chair - don't you think they track the attendants who receive complaints of any kind?). Another poster said it took ten dollars to get one. The posts speak for themselves. They are not "far out".

I understand the disappointment of booking a large balcony and not having the furniture that you think you should have, and I thank the other poster who politely explained that. I also understand the simple mechanics of opening a balcony divider. But I do not understand the concept of having additional lounge chairs "brought up" on a one week cruise and on a ship with 6,000 people just because you are "traveling with friends".

The OP said she went to Guest Services and complained that her steward wouldn't bring her a chair (giving her cabin number so that she could get her chair - don't you think they track the attendants who receive complaints of any kind?). Another poster said it took ten dollars to get one. The posts speak for themselves. They are not "far out".

I understand the disappointment of booking a large balcony and not having the furniture that you think you should have, and I thank the other poster who politely explained that. I also understand the simple mechanics of opening a balcony divider. But I do not understand the concept of having additional lounge chairs "brought up" on a one week cruise and on a ship with 6,000 people just because you are "traveling with friends".

The concept is "customer service" or......

The squeaky wheel.

Carol,

Thanks for taking your time to do a live from Oasis thread. I am new to cruising and will be taking my first cruise on the Oasis in January.

I am reading where you are talking about the room being small. I am going with my parents that are elderly and we are in a D1, I believe. Originally, we had looked at getting a JS, but we decided against that. Now I am worried we should have gone with the JS. I have since contacted my TA about possibly getting a handicapped unit, as my father sometimes needs assistance with showering. I have been told all units are full and the ship is pretty full across the board. Is the shower large enough for someone to help another if need be? Or is it so small once he is in, he doesn't have to worry about falling as he will be sandwiched in the enclosure? lol The JS is showing a price increase since when we first started to look of $ 2500.00 more. I can't believe how much the prices have gone up for a January sailing.

Thanks for your time.

Iv travelled with my sister who has mobility issues. She complains about how hard it is for her to shower and for me to help her ...but I think its manageable ... you dont need a HC cabin. She hangs on and Im slightly out of the shower and we close the door as much as we can, ...and then just mop up any excess water. But she needs help in the shower too ..it is doable.

Standard cabins on RC usually have Star-trek transporter tube glass-enclosures which are quite snug. The helping person would have to stand outside the enclosure and water will splash the bathroom floor. The shower head is detachible so it can be removed and held by the person helping out who would then point it into the shower enclosure to minimize flooding issues.

The HC cabins still use an old fashioned shower curtain and have no lips around the shower or the door leading into the cabin but they are bigger and allow a wheelchair easier access. You have to request a HC cabin in advance.

This is a HC shower on a Voyager class.

2384123880096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

To each his own it is not for ANYONE to comment.... I think your posts are completely out of line....If someone wants extra's and they are available then why not....the cruise line aim to please.

She already noted that she doesn't drink beer.

And I dont eat fish... Does that mean they don't serve it??

Geesh, I was just asking a question to the OP, who happens to be on the ship this week having a good time and I was just curious if they had it on the Oasis as there are reports of it being on other ships!

To each his own it is not for ANYONE to comment.... I think your posts are completely out of line....If someone wants extra's and they are available then why not....the cruise line aim to please.

That's pretty much the entitlement mentality that ruins mass market cruising (see the threads on hogging lounge chairs by the pool, etc.).

I apologize to the OP if my reaction to her 'fish eye' to the cabin attendant took this thread off course.

I think the OP is pretty bugged by some of these threads on her posting live thread and it seems like she's ignoring everybody and decided to just enjoy her cruise. Who can blame her.

If you going to post live you have to expect that people are going to ask questions. That's part of why they check out these threads. There is no need for the OP or anyone else for that matter to get a negitive attitude towards it. I'm sure you have all had questions prior to sailing that you've asked past thread posters. And MY personal opinion is no one is ENTITLED to anything on a cruise. Threat or no threat, stink eye or no stink eye.

Archived