Age of Ship Preference

buxfan

I see a lot of positive reviews of the older Carnival ships. I try to avoid the older ships and aim for newer, if possible. I would be leary of going on the Elation, Fascination, Fantasy (I was on Fantasy 5 years ago and it was in just "ok" shape, nothing to write home about, I couldn't imagine what it's like now, 5 years later). I would love to cruise on the Dream or perhaps the Magic for next cruise.

Just wanted to get feedback if the ship plays a role in your cruise decision and if your prefer older or newer ships, and why?

The age of the ship has nothing to do with my choice.

I've sailed on the newest ship, the next to the newest ship, the oldest ship and the next to the oldest ship and they were all wonderful cruises.

All of the Fantasy Class have gone through dry dock and been upgraded and are now headed back into dry dock again! The Inspiration, the first of the Fantasy class to get the Evolutions of Fun upgrades, goes into dry dock in October, 3 years after her last dry dock and I expect she'll be stunning when she returns to service.

:)

I tend to choose ships that are a few years old, mainly because they are not as expensive as the newer ships. They're all pretty nice though since they go through refurbishments as needed. Therefore, it doesn't matter much to me how old a ship is.

If given the choice between the Fantasy class or Dream/Magic, I would choose a Fantasy class everytime.

Not that I've ever sailed Dream (I'm sure I will someday, but only in a cove), I'm a little leary only because it's so big compared to what I'm used to.

Rarely does a ship dictate the cruise for me. There are things I like better on each class of Carnival ships. I like the fact that the Fantasy class has the Promenade Deck right below the Lido. I like the aft pool and abundance of balconies on the Conquest class, and I like the double pools on the Lido Deck of the Spirit Class. It all evens out to me in the end.

If we talk RCCL, then yea, I will pick one of the newer ships over the older anytime. Oasis of the Seas was the only time I have cruised completely because of the ship itself. I am pretty much cruising on Liberty of the Seas in Novemeber for the ship also.

I read that RCL's older ships like Monarch aren't in very good shape, and you can tell they're old. :confused:

I sailed on Monarch last year. Yes, defintely old and outdated, escpecially compared to my 2 other cruises prior (CCL Liberty and Glory). I never thought that I would care about age of ship, but after the Monarch, I much prefer newer larger ships.

I never consider age. I did a ten year span on two ships; the Jubilee, and the Victory, and saw NO CHANGE. They are always painting/fixing/upgrading.

Hell, if the QM were sailing today, I'd love to sail her.

We've been on both the older and newer ships and love them all. We just sailed the Ecstasy over the 4th of July weekend (for the 3rd time) and absolutely love her. Likewise, we love the Conquest and the Glory as well as the Triumph. Hey, we just love to cruise and love all the ships. However, we are looking forward to the Magic next year. Age has nothing to do with it.

We'll be on the Fantasy for the fourth time in a few weeks:) My fav Fantasy class ship has been the Elation...I always feel like I've "Come home" when I step foot on a Fantasy class ship...and IMHO without a doubt service and attention has always been much better on this class.

We'll be sailing the Pride for the second time in April...also love that class....but as I get older I tend to like the smaller ships..with less people:D

Well since my first cruise was on a then 41 year old ship, I could only go up from there :D

But no, the age really doesn't matter that much to me. It just so happens that the Fantasy class has short itineraries (for the most part). That's why we stick to the newer ships. If a newer and older ship had the same itinerary I would choose by the class over age (the Spirit class would win).

But that's just me!

Some knucklehead got the idea that "bigger is better," and all of cruiselines bought into it. :mad:

If the Carnivale and Festivale, or even the old NCL "little white ships" were still sailing, I'd be on them in a heartbeat.

I do not foresee booking anything larger than the Triumph Class anytime soon.

There's just something about a new ship. Just off the Carnival Dream and man was it fantastic. The older ships are hit and miss to me. Some of my best cruises have been on the fantasy class ships- but let's face it - that's a lot of years of wear and tear on them. When we did the Imagination a couple years back the ship just looked tired and dated. In contrast- the Inspiration last month- the decor still felt dated but didn't look as run down. Having done both old and new in a very short period of time though- newer wins everytime.

Family friend and TAs opinion is that new counts but not as much as maintenance-meaning last date of drydock/refurb.

She also feels that most cruise lines use their most "worn" ships on the short (less then a week) cruises. Makes

sense I guess.

I see a lot of positive reviews of the older Carnival ships. I try to avoid the older ships and aim for newer, if possible. I would be leary of going on the Elation, Fascination, Fantasy (I was on Fantasy 5 years ago and it was in just "ok" shape, nothing to write home about, I couldn't imagine what it's like now, 5 years later). I would love to cruise on the Dream or perhaps the Magic for next cruise.

Just wanted to get feedback if the ship plays a role in your cruise decision and if your prefer older or newer ships, and why?

If speaking of ships in general two of the highest rated cruise ships were built in the 1980s. They are truly five star, and always get exceptional reviews. Granted they are not mass market ships but the point is the same.

The age of the ship is not an issue if it is well cared for, and all Carnival ships qualify, as being in exceptional condition. What you might notice on newer ships is bells and whistles. If you need big screen TVs, or ice skating rinks, promenades (malls), rock climbing wall, wave riders, etc, then take a new ship. As far as cabins and general public spaces, new vs old is six of one half a dozen of the other.

Heck we would still go on the Marti Gras if she was still sailing..we sailed on her for our Honeymoon back in 1976, it was tiny compaired to the ships today, we could even use the bathroom and take a shower at he same time lol We learned quickly that you must remove the TP before taking a shower, it was a fun ship, small as it was...we have been on quite a few cruises, but we always seem to come back to Carnival!

I would have loved sailing on the Queen Mary (old), QEII, old..before the crossing I hope to make someday on the Queen Mary.

I think Carnival maintenance rocks..from what I saw on the Paradise and their constant upgrade plans with the unbeleivable wear and tear of passengers and numbers...etc.

I have heard the really older RCl ships have a lot of extra squeek and noise in rough seas in fancier cabins that make folks upset...do not know if true...

Nowadays..with certain seaworthy standards..just hard to get a lousy ship facility wise in the mainstream and up ships we all discuss..IMHO.

Archived