Is Chops or Portofino really a "romantic" setting?

ryano

The thread "why pay extra when you can eat for free" got me to thinking about something because of a particular thing i read in that thread.

I am really excited to finally be going on a ship with specialty restaraunts on board and was definitely going to try Chops because Im a huge steak lover and maybe try Portofino too.

I have read that both places are of a "romantic" setting though.

Im single and my cruising buddy is my mom.

Now for my dumb question. Do family members eat in these places or is it mostly couples looking for more of a romantic, dim lit, candle light dinner atmosphere?

If thats the case, I guess i will settle for the upcharge Chops filet in the MDR.

TIA for any input or opinions. :)

The thread "why pay extra when you can eat for free" got me to thinking about something because of a particular thing i read in that thread.

I am really excited to finally be going on a ship with specialty restaraunts on board and was definitely going to try Chops because Im a huge steak lover and maybe try Portofino too.

I have read that both places are of a "romantic" setting though.

Im single and my cruising buddy is my mom.

Now for my dumb question. Do family members eat in these places or is it mostly couples looking for more of a romantic, dim lit, candle light dinner atmosphere?

If thats the case, I guess i will settle for the upcharge Chops filet in the MDR.

TIA for any input or opinions. :)

:cool:Compared to MDR, they could be considered "romantic". BUT they are far from it. They are just a great place to have an upscale dinner, and well worth the price. I liked Portofino's better than Chops. Have the great steak, great seafood dinner and app.:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN:cool:

I have eaten at both restaurants with my mom and other times with my husband. It is quieter than the MDR and has low lights, but it won't be weird to go with your mom. I've even seen large parties there.....not that they were overly loud and obnoxious, but it wasn't exactly a "romantic" experience.

I say go for it!!!! Great food at both restaurants!

:cool:Compared to MDR, they could be considered "romantic". BUT they are far from it. They are just a great place to have an upscale dinner, and well worth the price. I liked Portofino's better than Chops. Have the great steak, great seafood dinner and app.:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN:cool:

I like Portofino better than Chops too!

I cant speak to Chops, but DH and I went to portofino for our anniversary because it was more romantic...A dinner table for just the two of us, quiter. It made it special because it was more upscale. Having said that, I saw a family there. I would definately go there if it were just my mom and I. I loved it! Dont miss it!! :D

You will have no issues going with your Mom. I usually go with my DH and my teen son. We see some couples but also other families or groups. We actually like the filet in Portofino better than Chops. We like the menu better in Portofino too even though there were fewer options for my son who doesn't eat fish, lamb, veal, mushrooms and a bunch of other things.

Next cruise is just DH and I so hopefully we will have a nice quiet dinner in one of the specialties at least one night.

If you'd feel comfortable taking mom to a steakhouse or Italian restaurant, you'll have no problems with either Chops or Portifino. I think a little more intamit (sp?) would be a better description than romantic. I've never really thought of either as a romantic restaurant.

Another vote for "you will be fine."

It's what you make of it. The first time we went it was romantic...a table by the window, as we were leaving port, the sun setting, it was wonderful. And it could have been just as easily enjoyed with my Mom or Dad, had they been alive to share it. It will be a special memory, do it!

Enjoy your dinner with your Mom! I've eaten at Chops several times with my cruisin buddy who is also a widow like myself.. and both Chops & Portofino with my sister..never felt uncomfortable any of those times...

Thanks a lot everyone! Much appreciated.

Looks like Portofino it will be :) I can still get the filet for my steak fix and my mom can enjoy another wonderful dish.

She isnt much of a red meat eater at all.

Thanks again!

It is absolutely romantic . . . My girlfriend and I went to Chops a day before the captians dinner, the captians dinner was going to be a surprise " Happy Anniversary " dinner for her. We went to chops the day before, and they surprised us both with a " Happy Anniversary " dinner that I had not planned.

We loved Chops and went on the last night a second time.

We ate at Portifino too, and it was great as well.

... eating in Chops or Portofino. Think of it as eating at any another fine

restaurant. Just make sure they don't try to put you in a quiet little table in the corner. They don't have any strolling violinists playing Hungarian love songs either.

I would worry more about you if you were sitting on the balcony sipping wine and eating the fruit and cheese plate in the moonlight with Ma-Ma.

Have a safe and enjoyable cruise and don't sweat the little stuff!

Agree with other posters, you and your mom will have a great time. We have dined in both Chops and Portofino as a couple and with others (with FIL and DD on Explorer, as a group of 7 on Freedom).

I always vote on eating at both, love them both. And there are non red meat items at Chops. But the filets are to die for!

I agree with everyone else. We always go to Chops and Portofino at least once on a 7 day cruise and they are both good. We don't eat alot of italian food, but Portofino has a great steak and I love their calamari.

Go to both and see which one you like best!

Agree with other posters, you and your mom will have a great time. We have dined in both Chops and Portofino as a couple and with others (with FIL and DD on Explorer, as a group of 7 on Freedom).

I always vote on eating at both, love them both. And there are non red meat items at Chops. But the filets are to die for!

Ah, yes...the Filets...Delicious! and this is coming from someone who doesnt eat much red meat

It's just like any other restaurant...it's only "romantic" if you have the proper dining partner. Otherwise, it's a place to eat! There are no roaming violins or hidden corners for lovers!

There are some nice private booths in Chops on Radiance. They can be romantic if you're in the mood, but they can also just be booths where you can have a nice private dinner.

I've been to both restaurants on Radiance with DH, girlfriends and large groups. You'll be fine with your mom. Enjoy!:)

PS Portofino has a killer filet mignon that rivals the one in Chops. But I've always preferred the service in Chops on Radiance.

Another vote for "you will be fine."

It's what you make of it. The first time we went it was romantic...a table by the window, as we were leaving port, the sun setting, it was wonderful. And it could have been just as easily enjoyed with my Mom or Dad, had they been alive to share it. It will be a special memory, do it!

Well stated. Go and have fun.

Archived