Check-In Procedure

Depending on your cruise line, you can fill out all of your information online and then when you go to the terminal they just look at your passport and swipe your credit card (or you hand them cash) then give you your room keys

For carnival, its called Funpass

You do not say which cruise line or port so we will just assume a normal Caribbean cruise from a Florida port. When you arrive at the port you should already have your luggage properly tagged with the cruise line tags (you either got them in the mail or downloaded the tags). Make sure you have your passports (or birth certificate) in hand (or very close) as well as a copy of your cruise ticket or pass. If you filled out the on-line forms you should have been able to print-out an express boarding form (each line has their own forms). When you arrive at the port you will quiickly turn your luggage over to the porters (of course you keep your carry-on) and will then follow the sings into the building. You then simply move through the queue where you will be directed to the correct line. Checking-in is a breeze and they will check your documents, take an imprint of your credit card (everything on-board is cashless and put on your account) and immediately hand you your "cruise card" which functions as your on-board ID card, credit card for purchases on-board, and room key. At some point they will use this card to check you onto the ship and also take an electronic photo. You will either be directed to a waiting room or pointed towards the gangplank. As you board they will probably swipe your cruise card (they do this whenever you enter or leave the ship at any port) and then you are pretty much on your own. Assuming that the cabins are ready for occupancy (this usually happens by 12 or 1) you can simply go to your cabin and drop your carry-on. At this point most folks will head for lunch (it is a cruise and they eat eat eat). You will be either handed a schedule of the days activities when you check-in or it will be waiting for you in your cabin. Sometime later in the day your luggage will appear outside your cabin (your steward might put it inside) and you will just be in awe of the entire thing and probably walk around the ship taking it all in! Later in the afternoon there will be a lifeboat drill (this procedure varies by line) and then its time for fun, food, booze, etc. As I write this little blurb it occurs to me that we have personally been on more then 60 cruises (about 2 years on ships) and never get over the thrill of those first few minutes when we get aboard for a new cruise.

Hank

Thank you all so much. I figured it was pretty harmless, but wanted to know the unknown. I am so excited to be going on my first cruise and with a great guy. ;)

shof515... We are traveling on NCL. And yes, I will be doing the online check-in stuff within the next few days.

Hlitner... We are traveling on NCL out of Miami and heading to Nassau. Thanks for the blow by blow. I think I will be very at ease when I get there with all of the info you provided.

cb at sea... Picture. Ahh, I see. I guess I better look my best. :o) Just kidding.

Looks like you have all the info you need. I don't think anyone said anything about the arrival time. If they did, I overlooked it. We like to get to the port by 11:00 so we can be on the ship by noon eating our lunch. Have fun!!!:D

One piece of advice, have a pen handy as sometimes when you enter the terminal you have to fill out a short health questionaire (have you been sick in the last 24 hours, etc). Not a big deal, but much easier to get out of the way if you have your own pen.

Thank you all so much. I figured it was pretty harmless, but wanted to know the unknown. I am so excited to be going on my first cruise and with a great guy. ;)

shof515... We are traveling on NCL. And yes, I will be doing the online check-in stuff within the next few days.

Hlitner... We are traveling on NCL out of Miami and heading to Nassau. Thanks for the blow by blow. I think I will be very at ease when I get there with all of the info you provided.

cb at sea... Picture. Ahh, I see. I guess I better look my best. :o) Just kidding.

NCL has a very special place in my cruising heart. When we took our first cruise back in the 70s, the only two decent cruise lines that were regularly in the Caribbean were NCL and Carnival. In those days the Carnival ships were very budget and not the nicest ships at sea. But NCL was the new guy in the neighborhood and had a small group of ships doing 3, 4 and 7 day cruises out of Miami. My first cruise was on the NCL Sunward II which was a 14,000 ton ship with only a few hundred passengers (about as many that are carried on a single lifeboat of the new Oasis of the Seas). That first cruise got us totally addicted and now after more then 2 years on a lot of cruise ships our addiction continues unabated. Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Hank

OP, I hate to mention it but please be aware that the Captain has the right and responsibility to alter the course of your cruise. There are at least two other weather systems behind Hurricane Earl and you may be heading west instead of east. Just remember it is for your safety. When you signed up for the cruise you signed up for the ship with the intention of making every port. I hope all goes well and you have a wonderful cruise.

lucy2mb... The boat leaves at 5. We land in Miami at 10am. I am assuming we should head straight to the boat. No drinks at Bayside Marketplace before we get on the ship. :cool:

wrp96... I will have a pen handy. You are right, it would make everything easier for us.

Hlitner... I hope to have a wonderful cruise. And this could be start of an addiction. :D

alcpa1... It doesn't matter where we go, just as long as we cruise. So, I won't be heartbroken if the itinerary changes. Always keep a positive attitude on vacay. The keyword is vacay. ;)

Krazy Kruizers... 9 days now. And we completed our online docs last night. Now time to start packing. ;)

Don't be alarmed if the lines are long (think busy day at the airport). They will be checking in a large number of cruisers in a small window of time. The cruiselines have processing these crowds quickly down to an art form.

Love your attitude. The days at sea are my favorite days and I have no strong preference where the ship goes! Have a wonderful time!

Lots of great advice, and I do not have much to add except that you should maybe sign up to have NCL get you from the airport to the cruise dock if that is available on your cruise. We went on our own from Seattle to Alaska, from Miami to the Western Caribbean and from Istanbul to Barcelona. From Heathrow to Dover to the Baltic Sea we put ourselves in NCL hands as soon as we cleared British customs and it was marvelous.

Lots of great advice, and I do not have much to add except that you should maybe sign up to have NCL get you from the airport to the cruise dock if that is available on your cruise. We went on our own from Seattle to Alaska, from Miami to the Western Caribbean and from Istanbul to Barcelona. From Heathrow to Dover to the Baltic Sea we put ourselves in NCL hands as soon as we cleared British customs and it was marvelous.

Why in the world should anyone use a cruise line transfer in Miami. It cost less to simply grab a taxi, and while those with ship transfers are sitting around waiting to get a full load the taxi will be pulling into the port.

Hnak

I bow to your experience, Hank. Our first and only time cruising out of Miami, we could have used some help and advice. Now I'm facing a Saturday landing at Fort Lauderdale for a Sunday sailing from Miami, and I wish I could spend a few bucks for somebody else to make sure the bags get from the airport to the ship.

Archived