Venice Grand Canel Hotels

MadMarine

For location, you can't beat the Danieli.

I absolutely agree about the Danieli. If you book there, be sure your room faces the laguna, not a stale side canal. On that stale side canal is the dock for the motoscafi to pull up and let the porters take your bags and welcome you to this ancient but deluxe hotel.

The upper floor (5th?) has very long balconies that you can access via French doors from your room and enjoy the excitement of the Grand Canal. And the roof-top restaurant has a drop-dead view of the water.

My family and I have been staying at the Danieli for decades - it is well worth the price if you can tote the note.

Ruby

I absolutely agree about the Danieli. If you book there, be sure your room faces the laguna, not a stale side canal. On that stale side canal is the dock for the motoscafi to pull up and let the porters take your bags and welcome you to this ancient but deluxe hotel.

The upper floor (5th?) has very long balconies that you can access via French doors from your room and enjoy the excitement of the Grand Canal. And the roof-top restaurant has a drop-dead view of the water.

My family and I have been staying at the Danieli for decades - it is well worth the price if you can tote the note.

Ruby

AND the 25 Euro G and T dont forget. Minimum. BUT a great experience. I also like the Europa

I would highly recommend Il Palazzo. Website: http://www.ilpalazzovenezia.com. It is literally around the corner from St. Mark's. Some of the rooms have balconies overlooking the Grand Canal. You must be very specific with what room you want when you book. A few years ago we stayed there for 3 nights or so in one of these rooms and it was wonderful. They will bring your breakfast to your room for you to enjoy on your terrace, literally overlooking the Grand Canal. Heaven. Note that the room itself is rather small by American standards, but that part was of less importance to us. Also note that I am not talking about The Bauer Hotel, which is owned by the same company and is essentially next door to this hotel -- absolutely not of the same quality.

Ruby

One time when we were staying there back in the 1970's, they were filming scenes from "Who's killing the great chefs of Europe?". Lots of fun being an extra.

Yes, I agree, Monaco and Grand Canal is a wonderful hotel. We have also stayed there. It is right on the Grand Canal and right around the corner from St. Mark's Square (very near Il Palazzo, which is the hotel I suggested). However, I do not believe that it has balcony rooms, which is one of the things requested (although it does have a lovely dining patio right on the Grand Canal).

My favorite hotel is the Europa & Regina, a little further from St. Marks Square directly at the entrance of the Grand Canal. I've had the pleasure to stay twice in the suite on the top floor, featuring a large private terrace ... can't beat this. We had dinner on the terrace in the sunset, watching the cruise ships sail by and listening to the songs of the gondolieri below. Stunning views.

However, if this hotel, as the wonderful hotels mentioned above, are cost prohibitive, try another favorite: Pensione Wildner, right at Riva degli Schiavoni, http://www.hotelwildner.com. Choose the rooms with view of the lagoon. It's small, it's cozy and the bus boats stop right in front of it ... easy transfer from/to train station and/or airport / port (very easy with a lot of luggage and better priced than a taxi boat).

One more suggestion: If you are a first-timer to Venice, you may consider to take a taxi boat for the transfer TO the hotel anyway; it's about 80-100 EUR from train station or airport. There's no better way to have a first impression! Enjoy !

We can highly recommend the Sant' Angelo on the Canal. Lovely rooms, staff, service and breakfast. Great location between the Rialto and Accademia Bridges and at a vapporreto stop. Fabulous view of the canal from the room we had.

We booked a package there through Small Luxury Hotels of the World for our anniversary 3 years ago with quite attractive pricing. We booked a junior suite.

Check it out here:

http://www.slh.com/destinations/europe/italy/venice/palazzo-santangelo-hotel/

Archived