What percentage of cruisers wear formal dress on formal nights?

susieh

I'm worried we're going to feel uncomfortable on our cruise in 5 weeks time. We've previously cruised with P&O and always worn formal on formal nights. DH wears a tux and I wear a long dress or cocktail dress (it has to be a very nice cocktail dress or I feel underdressed).

We did a Hawaiian cruise with NCL in 2007 - there was no formal night but we knew that before we booked and travelled so it was ok. We booked RCCL for the Caribbean because we enjoy formal so we chose them over NCL (P&O didn't have an itinery that fitted our needs).

Friends of ours have done 10 RCCL cruises and always dress up on formal nights so we assumed 95% of the cruisers did too (as is the case on P&O). What percentage of people do dress formally on formal nights?

PS - I don't want to dress casual on formal nights - if I did I would have booked NCL.

86.3850278 %

I was going to say 62%, but to be serious, you won't be out of place at all. You'll be in the clear majority. You'll probably see more suits than tuxes, but lots of people will be wearing tuxedos too. Some change after dinner, even I have a few times depending on what we were doing, but most don't.

If you're expecting it to be VERY formal, you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting to feel in place, you definitely will.

{edit} I'm assuming you're a woman, based on your screenname. I answered in terms of what the men wear. In terms of women, they always look lovely when dressed in a gown or cocktail dress.

I'm worried we're going to feel uncomfortable on our cruise in 5 weeks time. We've previously cruised with P&O and always worn formal on formal nights. DH wears a tux and I wear a long dress or cocktail dress (it has to be a very nice cocktail dress or I feel underdressed).

We did a Hawaiian cruise with NCL in 2007 - there was no formal night but we knew that before we booked and travelled so it was ok. We booked RCCL for the Caribbean because we enjoy formal so we chose them over NCL (P&O didn't have an itinery that fitted our needs).

Friends of ours have done 10 RCCL cruises and always dress up on formal nights so we assumed 95% of the cruisers did too (as is the case on P&O). What percentage of people do dress formally on formal nights?

PS - I don't want to dress casual on formal nights - if I did I would have booked NCL.

It varies. How long a cruise and where does it depart from?

86.3850278 %
I was going to say 62%, but to be serious, you won't be out of place at all. You'll be in the clear majority. You'll probably see more suits than tuxes, but lots of people will be wearing tuxedos too. Some change after dinner, even I have a few times depending on what we were doing, but most don't.

If you're expecting it to be VERY formal, you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting to feel in place, you definitely will.

He just made that number up. Interestingly, studies show that 73.5% of statistics are just made up on the spot.

The majority of the cruisers will be dressed appropriately for the formal night. You will quite comfortable with your plans.

As someone said, some will change clothes after dinner.

We do late dinner so the show is often before dinner so then would we changed. If the show is after dinner we stay in our formal wear.

Don't worry about it. Wear your formal attire and enjoy it! I've always seen plenty of men in tuxes and ladies in long gowns. Wish more people dressed up on formal night. Although I don't wear a long gown I sure do like dressing up for formal nights. I like to get my formal night photos and give them as Christmas gifts to my parents and brother. We love giving and receiving them.

Do it! We dress up for formal night and have never noticed others around us dressing otherwise. Based on what I've read, I'm sure many people choose to dress more casually but we've never noticed. Dressing up makes the evening special for us and frankly, we just don't care what others wear. Those that we travel with also dress for the occasion :)

I usually wear a long gown on formal night. Our last cruises only had one formal night, and the gown I chose to wear wasn't the most comfortable, so I changed after we had pics taken. I still was relatively formal though - silk pants, sparkly top, fancy shoes, rhinestone jewelry. My husband wears a suit - he complains but he wears it. I'm trying to get him into a tux, but it's a losing battle.

Our upcoming cruise has two formal nights, and I'm planning on wearing a long gown for one, and satin pants with a brocade jacket/sparkly top for the other. I might change my mind though.

I've never felt over dressed. Some women wear shorter cocktail dresses. Some men don't even wear a suit, but most do. You'll see all levels.

Wear as formal as you want - you won't feel out of place.

I've cruised 53 nights on RCCL since March 2009, 7 on Princess, and 7 on Celebrity. They are all about the same, with Celebrity a smidge more dressy.

I sailed in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico, Hawaii, and Australia, so it's a good sampling of cruises.

I'd say 70% dress in fancy-to-formal (sparkles, long dresses, dressy fabrics), 20% dress smart casual (cocktail jersey type dresses, pantsuits, jackets and ties), and 10% dress casual on formal nights (no tie, no jacket, jeans or sporty clothes).

86.3850278 %

Actually that percentage is for those that are dressed up. Those wearing actual formal wear (tux and formal gown) is 13.84375921 %

Can you please share your formula for arriving at these precise percentages? :rolleyes: :D

I'm waiting patiently with my scientific, multifunctional, solar powered calculator in hand. :cool:

I already know my husband will REFUSE to wear a suit--even though he has a brand new one he'll probably never wear. :rolleyes: His standard "dress up" wear is simply a black dress shirt and black pants. Do they refuse entry in the MDR if you're not formal--or would that be good enough?

I force my DH to wear the suit & tie on formal night, but no tux. If our next cruise wasn't a holiday cruise I probably wouldn't make him. There another active thread that is discussing this issue and more and more RCCL is encouraging people that did not bring formal wear to attend the MDR anyway. So the cruise AFTER next we may rethink our packing a little. Dressier on formal night, but likely just a shirt & tie for DH and cocktail dress only for me.

I already know my husband will REFUSE to wear a suit--even though he has a brand new one he'll probably never wear. :rolleyes: His standard "dress up" wear is simply a black dress shirt and black pants. Do they refuse entry in the MDR if you're not formal--or would that be good enough?

He'll probably be allowed in, but is it "good enough?" It clearly falls far short of the suggested dress code.

The way your post shows on my computer it looked like you wrote "His standard 'dress up' wear is simply a black dress." Boy, did my eyes bug out! Then I saw the word "shirt" carried over to the next line.

As a male, I cannot speak for women's attire, but I will say that the percentage of men in tuxes will probably be less than 5%.

Yogimax, I think that is true in the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Mexico on 7 night or shorter cruises. I've observed that longer cruises, and cruises to other areas (especially Europe) there are more men in tuxes. European cruises have more European men on them, and most people in Europe are more fashion oriented, since it's a huge industry over there, especially in Italy.

Even on ships with a lower percentage of men in tuxes, they all look like a million bucks, though! It's like seeing swans in a gaggle (correct term???) of geese!:D

As a male, I cannot speak for women's attire, but I will say that the percentage of men in tuxes will probably be less than 5%.

I'll be one of those 5% on my cruise this Sunday. I bought a tux 9 years ago for less than what I'd pay for a suit, so I definately got my money's worth. Sometimes I don't bring it, say on a 14 day cruise where I have to limit my packing.

Actually that percentage is for those that are dressed up. Those wearing actual formal wear (tux and formal gown) is 13.84375921 %

LOL. I think that's high. Using the guys since that's an easier distinction than level of formal for women....

I'd say closer to:

4.7302652% Tux

64.783843% Suit, Tie

18.383800% Tie/no jacket or Sports Coat no tie

7.8373737% Slacks no tie/jacket

3.6784840% Jeans / shorts

0.5880500% People of Walmart.com

Well, whether or not you will feel uncomfortable depends on where you're eating. If you're going to the MDR, you'll fit in fine. If you're going to the Windjammer, you may be a bit overdressed.

(I am, of course, being silly. Just had to clear that up before I get the serioius-minded comments)

He will be fine. Royal Caribbean is not that strict.

Well I love dressing up , I wear nice cocktail dresses and this year have finally gotten hubby to get a tux , we were looking for new suit but had trouble since he is big in chest but his butt isn't , darn gym will do that )Got him to try on tux and he looked great and even better he liked it , only took me 40 years so all those that say they cant get hubby in one , do not loose faith LOL What others wear really does not bother me as long as all the right places are covered :)

Archived