What percentage of cruisers wear formal dress on formal nights?

susieh

Here is a picture taken on the Caribbean Princess for the second formal night ...

IMG_1342.jpg

Here is one from the Carnival Paradise, on the only formal night ...

PIMG_5931.jpg

Here is one from the Mariner of the Seas on the first formal night ...

DSC_0975.jpg

This one is from the Freedom of the Seas on the first formal night ...

IMG_2089.jpg

I would love to see pictures of cruisers dressed up on formal night can someone post some?

For women there is a long standing thread on the Cruise Fashion board called "Post Pictures of Your Formal Dresses" or something like that. Lots and lots of pictures.

I'm worried we're going to feel uncomfortable on our cruise in 5 weeks time. We've previously cruised with P&O and always worn formal on formal nights. DH wears a tux and I wear a long dress or cocktail dress (it has to be a very nice cocktail dress or I feel underdressed).

We did a Hawaiian cruise with NCL in 2007 - there was no formal night but we knew that before we booked and travelled so it was ok. We booked RCCL for the Caribbean because we enjoy formal so we chose them over NCL (P&O didn't have an itinery that fitted our needs).

Friends of ours have done 10 RCCL cruises and always dress up on formal nights so we assumed 95% of the cruisers did too (as is the case on P&O). What percentage of people do dress formally on formal nights?

PS - I don't want to dress casual on formal nights - if I did I would have booked NCL.

I feel the same way - for my son's 18th bday we are taking Explorer to Bermuda 10/23 and one of the main reasons we chose it was for the formal night. It is our first cruise and as others have said if I wanted jeans I'd go NCL. He is wearing a tux - at his request!- and I will be wearing a LBD with the "good" costume rocks. For my bday in May I am looking at Cunard, mainly bc I want to dress up (plus love London!). I just feel that society as a whole, esp us Americans, have gotten too comfy and laid back - there is nothing wrong with dressing like an adult. BUT if you insist on elastic waist pants and fanny packs - knock yourself out but as other posters have said, out of respect to those who do "dress," maybe choose room service or buffet that evening.

Just my 2 cents worth:-)

Most do, dressy to semi to formal. I suggest you dress it up and have a grand evening. The ladies also go to the salon for an up-do (so book this early if you want it). A few years back a gentleman was in full kilt attire and his lady had a beautiful gown with a matching plaid sash. It as a lovely night.

On my last cruise DH and I had planned not to eat in the MDR on formal nights but the ship changed the schedule. So, on formal night I wore a long skirt and lace top, my DH a blazer with tie which was more in tune with smart causal, and at least more than half of the people at this first seating were dressed likewise. However, this was a caribbean cruise. I did notice that there were more people going formal at the later dinner seating.

A while ago we sat next to a man on formal night in shorts and polo shirt. His wife was well dressed though.

On our last cruise on Adventure we watched staff turn away several people who came into the dining room on formal nights wearing shorts and other very casual attire. One man in shorts was with his wife who was beautifully dressed for formal night and looked like she wanted to drop through a hole in the floor. As the majority of the people on that cruise had dressed up for dinner, I was pleased to see that RCI was making an attempt to keep the casual dressers out of the dining room.

I'm worried we're going to feel uncomfortable on our cruise in 5 weeks time. We've previously cruised with P&O and always worn formal on formal nights. DH wears a tux and I wear a long dress or cocktail dress (it has to be a very nice cocktail dress or I feel underdressed).

We did a Hawaiian cruise with NCL in 2007 - there was no formal night but we knew that before we booked and travelled so it was ok. We booked RCCL for the Caribbean because we enjoy formal so we chose them over NCL (P&O didn't have an itinery that fitted our needs).

Friends of ours have done 10 RCCL cruises and always dress up on formal nights so we assumed 95% of the cruisers did too (as is the case on P&O). What percentage of people do dress formally on formal nights?

PS - I don't want to dress casual on formal nights - if I did I would have booked NCL.

This depends on your definition of forma. If a suit and tie for men is formal, then the majority are dressed formally. On the other hand, from what you've described as to how you dress, maybe 10 to 20% will be in formalwear.

On our last carilbbean cruise I fealt overdressed in my tux. Next time around I think I'll just take one of my suits.

IMHO, RCI either needs to get real and enforce formal night or just drop it all together. Formal night has become what smart casual night use to be. As time goes on I see fewer and fewer people dressing for the occasion and I see more casual wear on formal nights with each passing cruise.

Just got off of the Mariner on a 7 day Mexico run. Sadly, not many in tuxes (I was one of them). As others have said, seems like less and less every year. I prefer being in a tux, but the next cruise is a series of B2B's on a short run, plus I have to fly, so I think that this time I will leave the tux home.:o I know that if I do, I'll be sorry. What to do......

I think that if you book a cruise that has formal nights in the program you should always dress appropriately on these nights. In my opinion nothing ruins a formal night quicker than people who show no respect for their fellow cruisers who make an effort to dress up and show up to the dining room and other public areas looking like they just got out of the pool. If you want to dress like a grub and ruin the mood for everyone maybe cruising is not for you.

From my observations of this board, posters quoting a low percentage for diners who dress formally are those who, themselves, do not dress formally. if a poster says that they do "dress up" their percentage figures given are likely (imho) to be more accurate. For some reason, anti-formal-dress posters always seem to grossly understate the figures, perhaps to bolster their own standpoints.

Formal dressers also tend to seem to be more tolerant towards non-formal dressers.

(ducks behind parapet and waitrs for the incoming................)

When I eat. I want to be comfortable:D So dress in what makes you comfortable and looking good at the same time.:cool:
For most men, a tux is no more uncomfortable than a suit and tie. I have heard rumors, however, that some ladies dresses and the neccessary foundation garments can lead to a stressful evening. :)

Formal dressers also tend to seem to be more tolerant towards non-formal dressers.
To a point, on an NCL cruise, four couples of us all in formal wear were seated next to the Clampetts.:eek:

All statements as to percentages are best guesses. Also, personal opinion influences that guess. That being said, if in the MDR you put your jacket on the back of the chair, you will not be alone. Keep in mind that with few exceptions noted on the RCCL notices, dress codes are recommended and not mandatory. You are on a cruise to have a good personal experience and only you can decide what is right. Those who are pro formal attire and those anti formal attitre are entitled to make their personal choice as are you.

I'd be interested in the percentage of men who arrive at the MDR in a tux or suit who end up putting the jackets over the backs of their chairs.

31.25984% :D

All statements as to percentages are best guesses. Also, personal opinion influences that guess. That being said, if in the MDR you put your jacket on the back of the chair, you will not be alone. Keep in mind that with few exceptions noted on the RCCL notices, dress codes are recommended and not mandatory. You are on a cruise to have a good personal experience and only you can decide what is right. Those who are pro formal attire and those anti formal attitre are entitled to make their personal choice as are you.

Amen

From my observations of this board, posters quoting a low percentage for diners who dress formally are those who, themselves, do not dress formally. if a poster says that they do "dress up" their percentage figures given are likely (imho) to be more accurate. For some reason, anti-formal-dress posters always seem to grossly understate the figures, perhaps to bolster their own standpoints.

(ducks behind parapet and waitrs for the incoming................)

Both sides are guilty of over/under stating the percentages.

There are no anti-formal dress posters. There are those that like to dress up and those that don't. Those that do are very vocal about wanting everyone else to also dress up. Those that are not interested in dressing up don't care if someone else wants to dress up or not.

Thus, I disagree that formal dressers are more tolerant towards non-formal dressers. It is in fact the opposite, and reading any dress code thread will make that very clear.

Just to clarify, they do have formal nights on NCL and not everyone dresses casually. We have cruised with them and have participated in the formal nights and have seen many many people very dressed up (beautiful gowns, tuxedos, etc.). I know NCL has a reputation for freestyle but people still do get dressed up. We are personally looking forward to dressing up on both formal nights of our upcoming trip with RCI. :)

Thus, I disagree that formal dressers are more tolerant towards non-formal dressers. It is in fact the opposite, and reading any dress code thread will make that very clear.

A very astute observation IMO.

Also, if men are going to put their "formal" jackets on the backs of their chairs, they are no longer dressed formally. What is the point of wearing it in the first place? (Other than to make a glamorous impression when walking into the MDR...)

A very astute observation IMO.

Also, if men are going to put their "formal" jackets on the backs of their chairs, they are no longer dressed formally. What is the point of wearing it in the first place? (Other than to make a glamorous impression when walking into the MDR...)

For pictures before dinner and to get past the fashion police.

For pictures before dinner and to get past the fashion police.

That's essentially what I meant when I said they want to make a glamorous impression when entering the MDR. Seems hardly worth the bother and expense and hassle of bringing formal wear on board if it's just for a picture, especially since I'm guessing most people who dress formally already have tons of pictures showing them dressed that way.

I've NEVER done that in the MDR, whether in a tux or suit.
Never have never will, the MDR is usually more than cool enough for comfort, MSGCurry usually takes a wrap.

Just to clarify' date=' they do have formal nights on NCL and not everyone dresses casually. We have cruised with them and have participated in the formal nights and have seen many many people very dressed up (beautiful gowns, tuxedos, etc.). I know NCL has a reputation for freestyle but people still do get dressed up. We are personally looking forward to dressing up on both formal nights of our upcoming trip with RCI. :)

[/quote'] We did honor formal nights on our one cruise with them, it's unlikely, however, that we'll repeat that experience.:rolleyes:

I refuse to choke myself with a tie when I'm on vacation. I don't even wear ties in "real life". I never go to the formal dining room, so I just wear polo shirts and khakis at night. That's enough. This dressing up requirement on cruise ships needs to go away. Should we all dress up in suits and ties when flying too, like people used to? That wasn't even a requirement. And don't believe the "these are just guidelines" website info. There are countless threads here about people turned away from the dining room because they didn't pass inspection from the fashion police.

Archived