Been there done that

DragonMouse

Ok...I'm ready for Carnival to start picking some different destinations...I'm interested in Magic but I've already been to Key West, Freeport (Nice Water BLAH town) and Nassau...I don't mind Key West...but...What about St Thomas, St Maarten...

West side...I haven't been to Jamaica yet but...I'm not really sure I want to...Progresso BLECH...Now that I've seen the ruins...I'm inclined to stay on the ship...Cozumel I'll do that one again...But what about Beliez, Grand Caymen, Rotan...

Belize, Cayman, Roatan, Coz, St Thomas I like! Jamaica...ill go but it wont make or break a cruise.

St Maartin ill be going there in Jan so ill know about that spot soon enough.

Key west and Nassau I have never been to but would like to see at some point.

Progresso...ill pass.

Ok...I'm ready for Carnival to start picking some different destinations...I'm interested in Magic but I've already been to Key West, Freeport (Nice Water BLAH town) and Nassau...I don't mind Key West...but...What about St Thomas, St Maarten...

West side...I haven't been to Jamaica yet but...I'm not really sure I want to...Progresso BLECH...Now that I've seen the ruins...I'm inclined to stay on the ship...Cozumel I'll do that one again...But what about Beliez, Grand Caymen, Rotan...

All of those ports are available on Carnival ships. You just might have to go to a different port to get to it -- Much like most of do :eek:.

I could pass on Nassau, Freeport, any place in Jamaica, Belize and St. Maarten.

On the other hand, we always enjoy Key West, San Juan, Halifax, any of the private islands and any port in Mexico.

Guess it's all a matter of individual taste.

They do Belize, Grand Cayman, and Roatan out of the Tampa port (the Legend) and Port Canavral/Orlando (the Dream).

I specifically chose the Legend becuase of those ports of call!

I have been to all of the ports out of Galveston too,,,,Progresso, Cozumel, Key West, Nassau, Freeport, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. I was hoping the Magic would do something different but oh well! Now I am going to sail out of NOLA for different itinerary on the Triumph - Belize, Roatan and Cozumel; however, when the Conquest goes to NOLA they will still do the same itinerary they do out of Galveston, so go on the Triumph while it still has a different itinerary. I guess eventually I will have to go farther from home to sail more places. :D

HUH ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Legend out of Tampa offers Belize , Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Isla Ratoan.

Valor out of Miami does the same thing.......i think

Drean out of port Canaveral does...Belze, Cozueml, Isla Rotoan and Costa Maya......

Good luck in YOUR search!

As the ships get larger and larger the pool of available ports keeps shrinking. Too many of the islands have neither the size or the infrastructure to support the large ships.

People who want to sail the newest ships are soon going to be faced with a very limited number of ports and lot of sea days and cruises to nowhere.

Ok...I'm ready for Carnival to start picking some different destinations......

Carnival's business model is designed to attract first time cruisers and keep past guests coming back with low rates, and convenient cruises close to home. Unfortunately, that formula means the same old ports over and over and over. It seems to work though, with ships sailing full every week!

But I hear ya! I'm interested in new destinations. I'm a bit "Carnivaled out" for now. So we're branching out to other cruise lines during the next few years to try, not only new destinations, but new ships, food, entertainment, etc. We'll be back to Carnival at some point in time.

Yep...We're starting to look around a bit. Sorry Carnival. Yeah...I know I could go to "Florida" and it will be a bit different but Florida is quite a way to get to. Driving is about 20 hours, the second option is flying and wellllll...Flying is steadily becoming a bit of a hassel these days. New Orleans wouldn't be bad but they seem to do a lot of the same that Galveston does.

I guess I was just really disappointed in Progresso and I'm just still reeling (I liked Freeport MUCH better than Progresso...at least the water there was really pretty). Again the ruins were nice...we had a GREAT guide but...the rest of it...blech. Lots of STUPID "drug" T-Shirts that I don't think "Cheech and Chong" would buy. Lots of JUNK. The only "nice" store was a rip. Most of their stuff could be bought at the "last" store for as much as $6 cheaper without negotiating - their "electronics" were the same price as the US (only no tax I guess). Cheap sunglasses were $15 and I think I could get the same thing here for less. Perhaps we should have taken the bus to Merida....

Ordinary beach...tons of jelly fish...Didn't do the Mangrove Kayak Tour but boy did I hear about it...did not sound like a pleasant experience (I'm glad that I listened to my intuition...lets say for starters....Flamingos are "stinky" birds)

I guess I NEVER want to go to Progresso again and it seems like every "Western" tour out of Galveston, New Orleans and several from Florida even goes there:(

You really do need to look at other lines to find different ports of call. Carnival does seem to do the same ole same ole ports year after year. Some of the jewelry stores in St. Thomas know me by name and I only go there every other year or so. Even when Carnival does new ports like Charleston they go to the same ole port in east and west carib. Now if we could only make friends with Cuba then that would open a few new ports of call!

Look at Mobile on the Elation.

4-night Cozumel

5-night Cozumel/Calica (Playa del Carmen)

5-night Cozumel/Progreso

7-night Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel

New Orleans

Triumph

4-night Cozumel

5-night Cozumel/Progreso

7-night Roatan/Belize/Cozumel

7-night Key West/Nassau/Freeport

NCL Spirit

7-night Belize/Guatemala/Costa Maya/Cozumel

RCCL Voyager of the Seas (late 2011)

7-night Grand Cayman/Jamaica/Cozumel

Dave

You didn't make clear that you were specifically talking about Galveston departures, but I've been to every port you mention, except for Freeport & Nassau, on a Carnival ship out of Florida.

I guess I NEVER want to go to Progresso again

Funny how we go to a foreign country to see how other people live and then complain when it does not meet our expectations. A good website to go to for this area is http://www.yucatantoday.com Research goes a long way to understanding the local area.

Me personally, I love this area as it is not built up commercially like you see at other places. We as tourists do not make or break this area though the extra $$ are welcome. I usually take the local bus to Merida for $3pp roundtrip. It leaves every 15 minutes. You are dropped off within two blocks of the Plaza Grande. This is the same area that you would pay Carnival $60pp or AutoProgreso $25pp to take you to.

Merida is a city of over 1 million people. It has two large universities. It has a Costco, Walmart, Burger King and other familiar things from the US.

Be adventurous and explore.

Dave

Progreso is one of the most interesting and different cruise stops available. Close by is Merida, an incredible city with a old rich history. And it is spotlessly clean and perfectly maintained.

But if all one wants to do is visit cookie cutter tourist traps, then Progreso/Merida is not for you.

we visited the "Don Trini" Molino Costellanos...and his palacial home in town..peacocks roaming free. We were on the 1st floor with generous antiques, and art work of his 12 ninas/ninos and stunning wife. He is 81 and very active in his business' all over.. When I walked in the house..I said to our friend who is his Boat Capt...What is he..The KING of Merida?..just about. started all the tourism/buses/shuttles/tours/ferries..ect. Even the party house was something to behold. We were on the Family rowboat in Feb, it was 5 brs and 5 bath, 2 gallys, and a cooooollll $7mill. son Octavio was our tour guide of the house. What a treat..and lots of other homes in town to do a photo op..and wonderous things to eat!

Let's see.......there is the southern caribbean, bermuda,a panama canal transit, transatlantic, Hawaii, mexican riviera, alaska.......just to mention a few:D

Pick a different ship.......

5-night Cozumel/Calica (Playa del Carmen)

Repeating what my parents said when we docked at Calica: "I think that this is the ugliest port I've ever seen in my life".

In all fairness, even though Calica is an industrial port built on a gravel pit, it's the gateway to great places, like Tulum, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Xcaret.

Repeating what my parents said when we docked at Calica: "I think that this is the ugliest port I've ever seen in my life".

In all fairness, even though Calica is an industrial port built on a gravel pit, it's the gateway to great places, like Tulum, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Xcaret.

You mean this place. I took this from an airplane we rented.

Dave

holidayportsmall.jpg

Maybe try the Freedom out of Fr. Lauderdale...my favorite cruise to date (I'm only going on my 5th) but it goes to Antigua, Tortola, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Nassau. Or what about the Miracle on her Southern Routh down to Aruba. I want to do that one!

~Regina

You mean this place. I took this from an airplane we rented.

Dave

holidayportsmall.jpg

Most ports load and off load commercial carriers all day, every day, so they will look like commercial ports. Only a few ports service only cruise ships. Look at Miami or Pt. Everglades, both with their skyscrapers of containers everywhere. They are commercial ports FIRST, cruise ports a far distant second.

I guess my problem in Progresso was we only had time to do the "ruins". They were nice...I only got to see the area up to the ruins and the little shopping center right off the dock. I have been hearing from several people that Meridia was the place to check out. If I go in this direction again...I'll not "book a tour" but instead go to Meridia. I thought I went deep enough when we went to the ruins but I guess we really didn't see much.

Yes I'd like more out of "Galveston"...it seems like they COULD hit a lot of other places rather than the same ones all the time. Might try Mobile. That might not be too bad of a drive. I would like to try New Orleans too...(just don't want to go to New Orleans for the same ports I can get out of Galveston...They moved our ships from Galveston to New Orleans so that's not a plus either)

Archived