Dinner attire preferences

tiff123

What are your dinner attire preferences? Dressing up = Slacks, Dresses  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are your dinner attire preferences? Dressing up = Slacks, Dresses

• I like to dress up every night.
    • I only like to dress up on "dress up or not" nights.
    • I would like to dress very casual every night, but try to adhere to MDR rules.
    • I dress very casual and stick to the buffet most nights.
    • I dress very casual and go to MDR most nights.
    • Other.

We wear what we feel like, within the rules of the establishment. If we have a special celebration we might decide to dress up a bit, or maybe just because. My wife tends to like to wear summery (like I know what kind they are) dresses on cruises, and I prefer to wear jeans or slacks with a polo or Tommy Bahama type shirt (although typically a Panama Jack knock-off from Costco or the like ;) ) At least that's what the plan is as this is our first NCL cruise upcoming.

I like to wear capri's or sundress for dinner and DH will where slacks and a polo shirt. Still deciding whether or not to bring one dressier outfit this time. The last two times we brought dressy outfits they stayed in our cabin. Since we have to fly this time, suitcase space will be at a premium... but we would NEVER wear shorts to the main dining room, just like I wouldn't wear them to a nice restaurant on land... just my opinion...

I'm always cold so even on the warm weather cruises I'm in long sleeves and pants (or jeans). On cold weather cruises, jeans or cords with sweathers.

I always try to adhere to MDR policy but sometimes forget which restaurant allows jeans.:o

I like to "dress" for dinner. My real life doesn't give me many chances to dress-up (except for church), sotake advantage of the opportunity to dress nicely for dinner. We just got off the Jewel (8/28 sailing), and I didn't dress "formally" by any stretch of the imagination but I had a dress or skirt on most nights.

DD wore her dress from a school formal dance on the first "Dress up or not" night. DH brought a suit jacket, but never wore it. I did not pay that much attention to other people's attire except to notice that there were a good number of others who "dressed up" too. If there were people in shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops in the MDR, I did not notice them and I would not have been offended by it. That just would not be MY choice in the MDR.

Also, I always had a sweater with me because I tend to be cold in A/C.

I bring 1 dress and 1 skirt that I can mix match with lots of other things. Plus a pair of super lightweight but comfy palazzo pants (with the all important multi-elastic 'buffet' waist band that is soooo forgiving).

Other than that a small assortment of colorful tops, mostly cotton-rich knits, and a few favorite comfy pants, crop length (below calf) or longer. This zaftig gal has no business in shorts or sleeveless tops (much less midriff baring!) in public places, much less MDR.

But those Crocs will be there...the more dressy Mary Jane style for the posher events no doubt ;-)

Hubs? Fancy=Dockers/Jersey pants and Polo or Hawaiian shirt. Casual: Clean colored tee shirts and black/good (but not 'good' or 'well-aged' by his definition), jeans.

I try to dress up for dinner, whether we're at home or on a cruise ship. Now, I'm not talking lace, sequins, etc...but clean tidy clothes, not jeans, not shorts/capris, not flip flops...but nice top, dark trousers (I don't do dresses), scarf, jewelry...

I don't think people much care anymore, but when I was a child and growing up, we had "work clothes", "play clothes", and 'dress clothes" and understood the difference, and when it was necessary to wear which kind. I still try to dress that way.

I am just curious to see how others feel about what to wear for dinner on cruises!

Depends on what you mean by "dress up". Does that mean a jacket and tie, nice slacks, leather shoes, socks and a dress shirt?

Or does it mean a collared shirt, Docker slacks and leather shoes?

Hopefully that's about as casual as folks get in the MDR! :cool:Personally I won't ever wear a T-Shirt and raggedy jeans in the MDR, although I've seen others, usually the much younger crowd, do that a few times.

On NCL, I pretty much stick with the latter "collared shirt, Docker slacks" attire. On the "formal nights" I'd substitute a Hawaiian shirt or maybe do the first dress up outfit I listed.

I don't bother even bringing a tux or suite on NCL as I'd be too much in the minority. On other cruise lines I usually do bring a tux.

I like to wear capri's or sundress for dinner and DH will where slacks and a polo shirt. Still deciding whether or not to bring one dressier outfit this time. The last two times we brought dressy outfits they stayed in our cabin. Since we have to fly this time, suitcase space will be at a premium... but we would NEVER wear shorts to the main dining room, just like I wouldn't wear them to a nice restaurant on land... just my opinion...

gatcha. That happened to us a few cruises ago. Now, it is slacks or capris (maybe a skirt one or two nights) hubby strictly docker type pants and polo or sport shirts. When we go to Le Bistro or Cagney's I will wear a really nice capri outfit or a skirt and dressy blouse and he wears a long sleeve shirt. That is as dressy as we get anymore and love it.

Nita

There's a huge chasm between "very casual" and "dressed to the nines." I personally would not go to the MDR dressed in anything below resort casual, and since I don't want to eat dinner at the buffet, that is what I will be wearing. If someone shows up to the MDR in shorts and a baseball cap, will it ruin my dinner? No. Will I think they have a bit less class than the average person? Absolutely.

My favorite dinner attire is my pajamas. Dining ensuite from the specialty restaurants or MDR. Especially after a long day in port.

I do not like buffets. Avoid them whenever possible.

I always pack a skirt or two with several nice tops. I like to dress up for Le Bistro, Cagney's, Tepenyaki or Il Adagio (or other Italian). If meeting friends in MDR will dress nicely too, since we will likely take pictures. At the minimum will dress resort casual and slip in for an early dinner. Would never wear shorts to MDR.

I chose "other".

But I like pajamas best.

I like to "dress" for dinner. My real life doesn't give me many chances to dress-up (except for church), sotake advantage of the opportunity to dress nicely for dinner. We just got off the Jewel (8/28 sailing), and I didn't dress "formally" by any stretch of the imagination but I had a dress or skirt on most nights.

DD wore her dress from a school formal dance on the first "Dress up or not" night. DH brought a suit jacket, but never wore it. I did not pay that much attention to other people's attire except to notice that there were a good number of others who "dressed up" too. If there were people in shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops in the MDR, I did not notice them and I would not have been offended by it. That just would not be MY choice in the MDR.

Also, I always had a sweater with me because I tend to be cold in A/C.

I like to dress up as well for dinner. Not much into gowns, but nice cocktail dresses and ballet flats or flat sandals because I still like to be comfortable . My lifestyle doesn't require me to dress up much. I wear hospital scrubs to work everyday and weekends I'm in jeans or sweats.

So for my vacation to be special my "freestyle" is to dress up every evening for dinner, cocktails, dancing and karaoke. Just because "I" want to.:)

For the purposes of this poll, I am defining "dressy" as: pants and collared type of shirt (whether button or polo), dress shoes (aka not sandals, flip flops, crocs or sneakers) for men - or dressier. For women: dresses, skirt, long pants, blouse and dress shoes (no flip flops, crocs or sneakers) - or dressier. I realize "dressy" can mean a lot to different people.

I was bored so I looked up who voted which way.

I like to dress up every night:

Aquaphobic, bm443087, celyvabeach, Chitown12562, Cruise_More_Often, cruz4evr, Emerald31, GigCrusier, hawaiideb, Karaokelady, KateQ22003, Kwaj girl, Lesty, mafig, mak5, maremike, mossadie, Mysterycat, queenschick9b, RhondaC, rxlowry, Ryancoke, slpdancer, Strawberry, VUCruiser, xok85xo

I only like to dress up on "dress up or not" nights:

Amunet, bessinfl, canative77, cookieandcrumb, FuninWB, Got Tequila?, kcfoxy, kcwingwalker, Keksie, kidzrnseattle, omc329, tiggerfan616, UV830

I would like to dress very casual every night, but try to adhere to MDR rules:

alwalaska, atonal1, Azure Moon, bakerintn, bdl729, bluesea777, breezer, catlady461, cheggy, CruisFran, CruisinDoug, cs, DAGVBSB, debbiet70611, Don Haynes, EaglesRock, electricron, elruth, FLACRUISER99, flnew2cruise, flowerchild, glendaleazcruiser, Gohogs34, Greg LaRose, GSLMOM, haynesra, Heytoots, johnql, josumello, Kammie1, lvsatman, MBurton, missyal, mistshar, Molokai-Chuck, NayRN, newmexicoNita, ocsuzie, pascalburns, pathandpattie, peg013, philly50's, Quincella, RLBlack, rmdragwa, RoutemanDan, S'WELL, sadiecat, salty dingo, sharonax3, shepherdqueen, sottovoce, sunshine nana, uppitycats, VanillaCruiser, Velvet Teddy Bear, Zeno

Then I went and checked out the people in the first catagory... many of them are not NCL regulars and some have never sailed NCL. There are a few of our regulars on there like Cruise_More_Often, cruz4evr and RhondaC; but others have never posted on here or have yet to be on an NCL cruise.

Of course if you look at the middle group (those who follow the MDR rules), you will find most of the regulars.... Don Haynes, newmexiconita, Moloki-Chuck, Salty Dingo, sottovoce, uppitycats, VanillaCruzier, Zeno, electricron and johnql.

(but where oh where are GaryCarla & Planer's Edge????) (sjbdtz is in "other" and tiggerfan dresses up on Dress up or not night.)

Also, the OP of this thread, tiff123 has yet to cast her vote!

Aquaphobic, bm443087, celyvabeach, Chitown12562, Cruise_More_Often, cruz4evr, Emerald31, GigCrusier, hawaiideb, Karaokelady, KateQ22003, Kwaj girl, Lesty, mafig, mak5, maremike, mossadie, Mysterycat, queenschick9b, RhondaC, rxlowry, Ryancoke, slpdancer, Strawberry, VUCruiser, xok85xo

Amunet, bessinfl, canative77, cookieandcrumb, FuninWB, Got Tequila?, kcfoxy, kcwingwalker, Keksie, kidzrnseattle, omc329, tiggerfan616, UV830

alwalaska, atonal1, Azure Moon, bakerintn, bdl729, bluesea777, breezer, catlady461, cheggy, CruisFran, CruisinDoug, cs, DAGVBSB, debbiet70611, Don Haynes, EaglesRock, electricron, elruth, FLACRUISER99, flnew2cruise, flowerchild, glendaleazcruiser, Gohogs34, Greg LaRose, GSLMOM, haynesra, Heytoots, johnql, josumello, Kammie1, lvsatman, MBurton, missyal, mistshar, Molokai-Chuck, NayRN, newmexicoNita, ocsuzie, pascalburns, pathandpattie, peg013, philly50's, Quincella, RLBlack, rmdragwa, RoutemanDan, S'WELL, sadiecat, salty dingo, sharonax3, shepherdqueen, sottovoce, sunshine nana, uppitycats, VanillaCruiser, Velvet Teddy Bear, Zeno

Then I went and checked out the people in the first catagory... many of them are not NCL regulars and some have never sailed NCL. There are a few of our regulars on there like Cruise_More_Often, cruz4evr and RhondaC; but others have never posted on here or have yet to be on an NCL cruise.

Of course if you look at the middle group (those who follow the MDR rules), you will find most of the regulars.... Don Haynes, newmexiconita, Moloki-Chuck, Salty Dingo, sottovoce, uppitycats, VanillaCruzier, Zeno, electricron and johnql.

(but where oh where are GaryCarla & Planer's Edge????) (sjbdtz is in "other" and tiggerfan dresses up on Dress up or not night.)

Boy..you WERE really bored.:rolleyes:

Well, I was in the first group and I have been a member here for quite awhile and have sailed on NCL twice, so be careful when you generalize. That being said, why do you feel the need to post how everyone voted? Are you trying to prove some point? I don't understand the need to call out everyone for his/her opinion. We are all entitled to one. It doesn't make someone's vote less valid just because they are a newbie or they haven't sailed NCL that much. The question was about dining attire in general, not dining attire specifically on NCL.

Are you serious? You actually typed out the name of every single person who voted in this poll and analyzed their forum behavior? What is the point of this post?

If I had that much free time I'd get a second job.

I voted that I will only dress up on "dress up or not" night because the rest of the nights, too few are dressing up.

It's okey for me that NCL is very casual but I should prefer that it was a little less casual. I should love if they had at least one restaurant with "formal only" every night but understand that many shouldn't like that!

Yay for NCL!

The 'dress up or not' was one of the reasons we chose NCL over others for our upcoming cruise. We want to travel light, only carry-on, and our last cruise on RCL illustrated to me that unless we want to spend lots of money and luggage room on fancy clothing, we really should sit out the formal nights. I love to dress up too but I don't like to have to carry all that stuff, especially if we have to fly. And we really don't cruise enough now to justify buying fancy ballgowns and nice suits unless we have somewhere else to wear them. Florida is pretty casual so I think the dressy events in our lives might be once every few years. Maybe when we retire someday and can travel more it will be worthwhile.

On the other hand, we always 'fix ourselves up' a little for dinner in the MDR or elsewhere and try to stay business casual at least..although I really don't care what others wear as long as I don't see dirty toes or smelly bodies. ;) That just bothers me at dinner and I have been known to make my kids wash their feet before they sit at the table even at home!

Archived