"Adventure" on board Prinsendam last night

chanteur

One of the factors in cruising is one can hit rough seas. It is a fact of life. It does not happen too often but when it does it can be a bit trying and vexing. Hats off to the Crew and Staff of the PRICENDAM. They did not panic but remain composed and that is so important. As for the two year old tape, it must have been a slow news night. In case you have not noticed "Cruise Ships" are one of the news medias favorite "whippng boys."

I bet the cruise industry hates to see that video shown. Nothing like the sight of furniture flopping all over the ship to keep away those potential cruisers that are nervous about the open sea. Of course they don't report that the odds are probably higher that you will get hit by lightning than have this happen on a cruise.

I hope everyone was ok on the Prinsendam!

Kirk

Kirk:

The 4th estate--be it print or electronic--does not give the cruise industry a break. If 1200 people are staying in a New York Hotel and have come down with the flu, they do not make a big deal out of it. However if a cruise ship carries 1200 people and 50 get sick they all tell how unhealthy it is to go on a cruise. Personally, I think my health is at its greatest risk in the airplane that takes to the cruise port than I am on the ship.

That two year old video from down under has only one purpose and that is to make one think twice about booking a cruise. I think it is a cheap shot but then the press is known for that.

Himself

A quick clarification: Blogger Albert Schoonderbeek is captain of the Veendam. Captain Halle Thon Gunderson is the able master of the Prinsendam, has been ever since she was launched as Royal Viking Sun.

Peacham, you are a little behind the times...As Copper10-8 says the Prinsendam & all the HAL ships have two Captains/Masters... You can be sure that Copper10-8 knows the schedule of them all..Copper10-8 posted the URL, of Capt. Alberts blog, Prinsendam's present Master..Perhaps you might want to read it...

In addition this is Capt. Albert's Sailing schedule which was posted in one of his Blog's:

My sailing schedule ms Prinsendam

1. 30 april – 13 September 2009 (Lisbon)

2. 06 January 2010 – 24 March 2010 Grand Voyage South America

3. 07 June – 11 September. European Season

4. 08 Nov 2010 – 08 January 2011

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/?p=3323#comments

BTW Capt Chris Turner was the Prinsendam's Capt. when we were on her in April 2006..

Guess you haven't been reading his blog for a while. :)

Abviously he hasn't, but I have a question for you & Copper10-8..

Didn't HAL at one time announce that all their Capt.'s would be blogging on the HAL WEB site?...

I can't find any blogs done by Captain Halle thon Gunderson.... Only found Capt. Alberts blog & other blogs by Passengers under the Prinsendam...

Do either of you know if all the HAL Capt's are continuing the Blogs?

Cheers.......:)Betty

Betty, here's a blog (within a blog) from Captain Werner Timmers when onboard Zuiderdam

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/?s=Captain+Timmers&x=7&y=13

As you can see, he does so on a semi-regular basis, not every day like Capt. Schoonderbeek does. It's got to be time consuming to do a daily blog so even more props to Capt. Albert

On the same HAL blog, there have been posts under the name "Captain's Log" from Capt. Rowden, Capt. van der Loo, Capt. Keijer, etc.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/?s=Captain%27s+Log&x=6&y=9

Again, not on a regular basis like Capt. Albert's, but still full of interesting info from "the inside"

Lastly, Capt. van Donselaar (and his wife) did a regular blog during Eurodam's inaugural season

Betty, here's a blog (within a blog) from Captain Werner Timmers when onboard Zuiderdam

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/?s=Captain+Timmers&x=7&y=13

As you can see, he does so on a semi-regular basis, not every day like Capt. Schoonderbeek does. It's got to be time consuming to do a daily blog so even more props to Capt. Albert

On the same HAL blog, there have been posts under the name "Captain's Log" from Capt. Rowden, Capt. van der Loo, Capt. Keijer, etc.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/?s=Captain%27s+Log&x=6&y=9

Again, not on a regular basis like Capt. Albert's, but still full of interesting info from "the inside"

Lastly, Capt. van Donselaar (and his wife) did a regular blog during Eurodam's inaugural season

Thanks so much John..Take care & stay safe & of course well..

:)Cheers.....Betty

I am waiting to hear more too........I have been checking Captain Albert's blog and he hasn't posted for a few days. This story probable made me take notice a little more since I will be on the Prinsendam for 66 days in just a few months.

Remember to secure the laptop at all times! We want everyone to read your upcoming blog of the Amazon, Antarctica and all of South America. :D

Has anyone heard from any of the pax? Captain Albert's Blog still hasn't been updated. Very unusual for him/HAL.

Charles

No news as yet. Weather in Europe has been bad lately. Today is fine in Amsterdam as of tomorrow rain /wind expected again.

Peter

I am waiting to hear too. I hope some one posts from the ship.

I pray that no one was hurt. Thank God that they have a great Captain, staff and crew and of course PAX.

Maria

It looks that ship is presently docked in Tilburyicon7.gif (UK).

go to: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default/aspx

then click on top : VESSEL

then on left side appears: VESSEL NAME

insert: Prinsendam and.... there she is

peter

It looks that ship is presently docked in Tilburyicon7.gif (UK).

go to: www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default/aspx

then click on top : VESSEL

then on left side appears: VESSEL NAME

insert: Prinsendam and.... there she is

peter

Thanks Peter!!!! I've been quite concerned abut her and her passengers and crew!!

I did have to tweak the url you gave a little as it came up not available or moved...

Here is the direct link: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=244126000

Joanie

A quick clarification: Blogger Albert Schoonderbeek is captain of the Veendam. Captain Halle Thon Gunderson is the able master of the Prinsendam, has been ever since she was launched as Royal Viking Sun.

Don't mean to highjack this thread but I believe that the first captain of the Royal Viking Sun was captain Ole Harsheim. I was on the World Cruise when he was Captain and The "Sun" had the accident near Sharm el Sheik Egypt and the cruise ended.

He was so wonderful through the whole experience. I believe he went from there to be Captain of the World of REsidence. That was when Captain Halle Gunderson took over. He is a great captain too.

I just love that ship and hope to sail on her again soon!

Glad things are doing better with the Prisendam and weather..

Thanks for the link. I am glad that the ship is in port.

The only thing that worries me is that Captain Albert has not been on his blog since 9/6. He posts all most every day.

Maria

I could be wrong. But I think the reason the Captain hasn't blogged is because he has been on the Bridge during the worst of the weather, sleeping when he can, making sure that the Prinsendam's is ready for the next trip, and rapping up all his paperwork before vacation.

With all the broken windows, water damage, broken glass, china, etc., I'm sure there is lots of paperwork or decisions to be made by the Captain. But main reason is being on the bridge during the bad weather as the ship and the safety of the passengers is ultimately his responsiblity.

I could be wrong. But I think the reason the Captain hasn't blogged is because he has been on the Bridge during the worst of the weather, sleeping when he can, making sure that the Prinsendam's is ready for the next trip, and rapping up all his paperwork before vacation.

With all the broken windows, water damage, broken glass, china, etc., I'm sure there is lots of paperwork or decisions to be made by the Captain. But main reason is being on the bridge during the bad weather as the ship and the safety of the passengers is ultimately his responsiblity.

You are right, I believe. By him not bolgging he must be very busy with what happened. So to me, a lot must have happen for him not to blog.

Let pray for the best.

Maria

Don't mean to highjack this thread but I believe that the first captain of the Royal Viking Sun was captain Ole Harsheim. I was on the World Cruise when he was Captain and The "Sun" had the accident near Sharm el Sheik Egypt and the cruise ended.

He was so wonderful through the whole experience. I believe he went from there to be Captain of the World of REsidence. That was when Captain Halle Gunderson took over. He is a great captain too.

I just love that ship and hope to sail on her again soon!

Glad things are doing better with the Prisendam and weather..

This is from Capt. Gundersen's bio in HAL's daily program on a Prinsendam cruise:

He worked for Royal Viking Line and Norwegian Cruise Line before moving to Finland to join the site team for the Royal Viking Sun, now HAL's very own Prinsendam. He was part of the team supervising the daily building operations of the vessel and upon completion, he sailed her around the world as Captain. He has served as one of this ship's permanent Masters ever since and came over to Holland America when the line purchased the vessel and named her Prinsendam.

Archived